Should I do an oil change...

"So, he said even though the fluids are new, he would change them again now, and then I should be fine for the rest of the season."

And to think all these dealers with their factory certified mechanics have been doing it wrong all these years. This guy wants ya to winterize it when you put it away and to summerize it too.LOL!! Sounds like advice from one of the nephews of a higher up. What a joke!

Last edited by a moderator:
It does NOT make sense to leave the old oil in all winter to change in spring due to "possible" condensation. Rest assured the old oil in the fall DOES have moisture in it, and acids from the reaction of moisture and combustion byproducts. That is the reason to change it before storing, that moisture and acid corrodes internal parts. Its like not brushing your teeth before going to bed, just in AM so you have good breath at work. The damage is done while sitting idle with contaminants on everything. And having had oil analysis's done on equipment on my job, I can state clear and clean looking oil can have moisture and acid in it, it doesn't have to have visible dirt for it to be bad.

I partially agree with your "old " or "used" oil analogy, but that analogy doesn't apply to Kaydano'a question of should he change "new" oil that was just changed as part of the winterization process. While that new oil may or may not have a trace of condensation from storage, it doesnt contain any contaminants. The moisture will dissipate the first time the engine reaches normal operating temps.

I also agree with his dealers suggestion..........it's good to go, run it.

The factory guy still has me shaking my head. Change oil before and after storage LOL!! I guess the new oil just goes bad sitting there for a few months. Go double dip in someone else's pockets.

If anyone here would like to follow his factory advice, please send me your new "winterized" oil. Dont forget to send me that new "contaminated" filter while you're at it. LOL!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back