Shrink wrapping strategy with regards to motor

mnosek

Reaction score
I would be interested to hear what everybody's strategy is when shrink-wrapping the pontoon with regards to how to treat the motor. My boat will be sitting outside in a southern Wisconsin winter. Should the shrink wrap also go over the motor, or is it best to leave the motor on its own? I am somewhat reluctant to wrap over the motor because it seems like it will leave gaps on either side where critters could get in. I had a friend whose pontoon was ravaged by raccoons or squirrels last winter, and I think that was their entry point. If I don't shrink-wrap over the motor should I do something separate for the motor itself? Some kind of cover? It seems like a bad idea to put anything airtight over it.

Madison, Wi here and when i use to bring it to the dealer to be shrink wrap, they went over the motor every time. Two different dealers (Quams/Don's Marine) did it the same way - right or wrong.. This year i did a winter cover myself and went over the motor also.

Madison, Wi here and when i use to bring it to the dealer to be shrink wrap, they went over the motor every time. Two different dealers (Quams/Don's Marine) did it the same way - right or wrong.. This year i did a winter cover myself and went over the motor also.
Thanks Toddk9. Follow-up question to you…. “ did a winter cover myself…”. What product did you use, and are you happy the way it turned out?

FYI - I just applied my cover for the first time and went over the motor. I did not like the triangle gap on both sides of the motor. Like you said, rodents can get in. Going to redo it.

FYI - here is the thread i started for it, if you want to see what i bought and some pictures. Easier to just send the link..lol

Last edited:
Back