Side Panel Damage

Larson1865

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice.  I have a 2014 24 ft SRX that like all of you I maintain meticulously.  I trailered it this weekend to a lake 35 miles away and had the playpen cover on it.  Before I get the finger waving I know some of you will say you should never tow with the cover on.  Too late for I told you so's.  I noticed yesterday that there was damage to the aluminum side panel near the bow.  The damage is like a small hammer hit the panel repeatedly.  I figured out the lower snap came loose and flapped against the panel as I was driving.  It is enough that it shows when the sun is shining on it and when you are right up against it.  The total damaged area is about six inch x six inch.  Any recommendations how to work this out or am I stuck with the inevitable "first" damage to the new Bennington.  Of course I just paid it off two weeks ago.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Will your insurance cover it ?

Can you dealer replace the damaged panel ?

The only way to "fix" it is to replace that section of fence.

The ridged type panel is most likely going to give someone that does the paintless "hail damage" repairs a hard time.

Or maybe try one of the paintless dent repair people?

Got a dent in a panel when I first moved down here. It's on the portside stern area under my sunpad in the storage area and have full access behind it. 2 PDR (paint less dent removal) companies wouldn't touch it! They said they don't work on boats and if they did the panels aren't smooth like cars. Hard to pop them out unscathed.

Got a dent in a panel when I first moved down here. It's on the portside stern area under my sunpad in the storage area and have full access behind it. 2 PDR (paint less dent removal) companies wouldn't touch it! They said they don't work on boats and if they did the panels aren't smooth like cars. Hard to pop them out unscathed.

You can mention that it was from our boat.  :)

No biggie Mr. Wagner! Adds character.....

I am wanting to freshen my older boat by recovering the side panels.  Has anyone ever used peel and stick contact paper or wallpaper? Some are advertised as waterproof and fade proof.There are many colors and designs available. I thought about using the vinyl car wrap material but it is quite expensive.  Does anyone have any experience or advice?  Im a new boat owner.....just purchased a fixer upper.   Thanks in advance.  

I am wanting to freshen my older boat by recovering the side panels.  Has anyone ever used peel and stick contact paper or wallpaper? Some are advertised as waterproof and fade proof.There are many colors and designs available. I thought about using the vinyl car wrap material but it is quite expensive.  Does anyone have any experience or advice?  Im a new boat owner.....just purchased a fixer upper.   Thanks in advance.  

This is something Blondie and I are looking into.  I love the color of our boat, but it's been in a few dock wars, so the decals have a couple of small marks/scratches on them, and the fences have a couple of small dings.

Down here in FL we see tons of fishing boats fully wrapped with custom decals.  I'm thinking of taking off the original decals (will come off easily with heat gun) and have Blondie custom design a graphics package for the boat.  Haven't received an actual quote but verbal estimates for the wrapping is less than $2,000.  Don't know about the body work costs yet.

I'll probably have the same guys that did our domed numbers also do a couple of Bennington logos for bow, port, and starboard.

Stay toon'ed!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: I found a local company here in Ft. Myers that does boat wraps.  Talked to them about what's involved, how much it costs, etc.  Here's an example of some of their work:

Dolphin%20Boat.jpg

Close-up.jpg

Cost would be about $1,500 and they can do any design I want; will even help me with a custom design.  Might get this done next spring.

That's very cool! I wonder what the life expectancy is of the wrap, especially in salt water?

It's vinyl, so I'm told to expect 5 or more years.  Keep in mind it will be on the fence, so not actually in the water.  Here's one of the designs that I'm working on.  It will go the length of the fence on each side:

222048-albums8856-picture88607.jpg

Very cool.  If you do please document with pix and post

Back