SideShift Thruster Installed - Finally

M Jay Farr

Reaction score
Well, I finally have the SideShift Thrusters installed. I have attached a few photos for information. The helm control is a Bluetooth joystick. As basic as it looks. Up/Down/Left/Right. So easy a Marine can understand it.

The next shows the arm extended, length is 32". Here is where I can use the group's help. What is the draw on a 23 foot Benington? What I am trying to determine, with that arm deployed, is how far down in the water will the base of the thruster propeller be? I want to know how deep I need to drop the lift so the unit will clear the lifting racks. Does anyone know the draw for the pontoons ( I think that is the correct term for how low the pontoons are in the water).

In the third and fourth pictures, the arm closed.

The last one is the battery compartment with the digital meter/fuse box and motor relays. This is mounted over the unit in the bow.

I Will have some time this weekend to practice with the unit, let you know how that goes.

Helm.jpgDeployed.jpgBowClosed.jpgBow.jpgBatt.jpg

My neighbor made the same thing for his boat. He loves it.

Excited for you. Cannot wait to hear back on how well it works for you. I don’t know the answer to your question. If no one knows, you could just drop her in the water and measure it with a tape measure.

Out of curiosity, can you post a video of you doing some fancy maneuver circus tricks with your boat now? ;) :D

Congrats M Jay!!! Looks pretty cool! Let us know or post a video of how it works! Is there also a unit in the back?!? Curious!

IMG_0885-1.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain four of these protective wraps for the block pulleys? I have to put the lift down so low to clear the lift with the thruster the blocks are coming into contact with the boat. These are on a neighbors boat.

Today finished the last part of the install. Connected two 10 gauge wires from the rear of the boat to the battery located in the bow. This was a direct D/C to D/C -/+ to provide a charge to the front battery. In addition, a 30 amp automatic breaker is introduced to the positive wire just before the connection to the thruster battery. Underway the outboard provides a 14-volt charge to the front battery. The breaker assures no overload issue when the thruster is used. This beats shore power and a smart battery charger.

This was not my brainchild but under the direction of SideShift. So far, so good. I will try to do a short video on the phone for info.

In your original post you asked if anyone knows the draft for the pontoons, but that is difficult to say with any precision because there are so many variables that determine the draft for your boat. Your Bennington Dealer may be able to get the answer for you. Can't wait to see how this cool setup all works for you!

Do you have to deploy it all the way down or can you “trim” it so it’s not so low?

Do you have to deploy it all the way down or can you “trim” it so it’s not so low?
Yes, once activated the unit goes to full deployment, this gets it below the pontoons for max thrust. When deployed at the helm you get an audible beeping until the unit is locked in place, likewise as it retracts. Pretty simple.

Yes, once activated the unit goes to full deployment, this gets it below the pontoons for max thrust. When deployed at the helm you get an audible beeping until the unit is locked in place, likewise as it retracts. Pretty simple.
Have you had the chance to take a Video?!? We want to see it in action!

I assume you have to pull it up before trailering?

Curious on why you went with this route vs a trolling motor.

Understood. I like how it’s under the deck for a clean look but it wouldn’t work for my uses. Enjoy it!

Back