Simrad GO5 XSE Intermittent resetting

Chris A

Reaction score
Has anyone else had their Simrad unit occasionally power down on its own and then restart? Mine does this intermittently while sitting still and cruising with no regular pattern. My boat is new, so I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for the 20 hour service, but just checking to see if anyone else has had this happen. I sent a question to Simrad on Monday, but they have not responded. I confirmed that I have the latest software update. Here's what I think is strange...When I turn the boat's power on, I have to push the power button on the Simrad to power it on. When it resets, it powers down AND powers up by itself. So I think it's an internal issue with the unit and not a power interruption in the wiring. Any ideas? Thanks -

I had the same problem. Random shutting off or not turning on, them coming on later. They had to replace it under warranty.

I’ve never had that issue in our 2 years with our unit. Other than one other person on here recently, I have not heard of others experiencing it either.

I had a similar problem and replaced the fuse connection and no issue after that.

I did not explain well. An electrician friend mine replaced the device that the fuse goes in that is on wire for GO5. He called it a bad fuse connector. Hope that helps.

If I ever hit a big enough wake or bump my G05 screen will turn off...I think there is a loose ground or power wire, but it rarely happens anymore that I don't stress it...

Did you replace the fuse, or what exactly?...I'm not quite understanding.
Has anyone else had their Simrad unit occasionally power down on its own and then restart? Mine does this intermittently while sitting still and cruising with no regular pattern. My boat is new, so I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for the 20 hour service, but just checking to see if anyone else has had this happen. I sent a question to Simrad on Monday, but they have not responded. I confirmed that I have the latest software update. Here's what I think is strange...When I turn the boat's power on, I have to push the power button on the Simrad to power it on. When it resets, it powers down AND powers up by itself. So I think it's an internal issue with the unit and not a power interruption in the wiring. Any ideas? Thanks -

Check your harness connections on back of unit.

Chris, I am now having the same problem. We’re you able to find the fix? Our rig is similar to yours and we received it about the same time. We are coming up on 20 hours and will have it looked at in Greenville.

Well, mine seems to have fixed itself. I did two things... I went under the helm and unscrewed the liner so I could check all connections at the back of the Simrad to make sure they were tight. Also, I downloaded the latest firmware update and installed it. Since doing those two things, I don’t believe it has powered down by itself again. I’m keeping an eye on it though.

@chris... I am also having same issue with my Simrad Go7 unit doing the powering down thing on it's own. It always happens when we are moving. I've checked the connections underneath & as per Alicedream's post I now think it's probably related to the fuse connector since when I move it underneath the helm the unit powers down. Going to have dealer check it.

This is typically caused by a low power situation. Low battery, bad connection, loose wires, or a bad fuse are generally the cause. These new electronics are really finicky when power blips.

My go9 digitizes and restarts every few minutes or sometimes not for an hour. I checked 12v and has constant power this unit is brand new all connectors are good and I changed the fuse block it’s still doing it any suggestions before I send it back??

I had a similar issue, connection was loose.

What Jack said. Also might use a little dielectric grease in connector. I had same issue with my radio and that fixed it.

What Jack said. Also might use a little dielectric grease in connector. I had same issue with my radio and that fixed it.
Dielectric grease actually inhibits electrical connection, great for sealing a connection, prevent corrosion and arcing (think 30amp RV Power Cord connected for extended periods). Something like DeOxit will enhance an electrical connection (it also prevents corrosion and arcing - but is a spray and not the thick sealing agent the grease provides). Using dielectric grease may clean a connection, the thick grease may help keep a loose connection from wiggling, but not really the right product to help a connection.

Loose connection for sure. Had the same on our Simrad.

Back