Ski Pylon

jgcranch

Reaction score
I have a 2017 20 ssx cruise and fish with 90 hp Mercury and want to install a ski pylon in the factory mounting bracket. Does anyone know what material steel/aluminum, diameter and any other info. We would be just pulling the grand kids on a tube. I have free access to a machine shop so I would like to try to make it myself. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Usually the ski pylon is not an available option on the S series just the tow bar or turbo swing. Not say it’s an impossiblilty though.

Thank you for your quick reply. I am very new to this and appreciate the input. The dealer has one in stock for it but it is $810. I was thinking I could make it for less but maybe not. I had a typo in the model it is a 20 sx.

Do you already have the mount for the pylon?

Yes partly, there is a bracket near the bottom of tunnel I believe its call (what the motor mounts to). It has a hole in it and if you remove the cup holder from the fishing station and look down thru the hole there is a hole in the floor and the holes all line up and if you measure the distance from the hole in the tunnel to the top of fishing station it measures about 41 inches and the ski pylon at the dealer is 46 inches so I am pretty sure I just need the pylon, and a bracket to attach at the top of the tunnel flush with the bottom of the floor. I have not seen the mount that comes with it from the dealer. I am going to see if I can get a look at it.

Sounds like all you need is the post?? I’d try to find a similar boat around and see what it has for an example. I would assume the diameters of the poles are consist with just the heights adjusted as needed

Thank you for your help. This forum is so helpful. I have learned alot from.

Yes partly, there is a bracket near the bottom of tunnel I believe its call (what the motor mounts to). It has a hole in it and if you remove the cup holder from the fishing station and look down thru the hole there is a hole in the floor and the holes all line up and if you measure the distance from the hole in the tunnel to the top of fishing station it measures about 41 inches and the ski pylon at the dealer is 46 inches so I am pretty sure I just need the pylon, and a bracket to attach at the top of the tunnel flush with the bottom of the floor. I have not seen the mount that comes with it from the dealer. I am going to see if I can get a look at it.

We have a fishing station with the ski pylon. This evening I will go to the barn and take pics of the setup.
With all the rain we are having, I might have to swim to the barn.

Thank you so much that will greatly. We are getting rain, freezing rain and snow here in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
ok that helps alot thank you so much. I am going to try to see if I can get into the storage area where mine is at. Most of the snow has melted so I should be able to get to it.

I was able to check out my pontoon and it has the same bracket and plate as yours, that is great news! Remediation does your ski rope ever hit the top of your motor? I was wondering if I should make the pylon longer? Thanks again for the pictures. We just got rid of our snow and now were supposed to get 6 inches tomorrow. Its been a long winter!!!

I have never used it.:) The big boat and watersports are in KY. If making it taller take into account that the plate is at deck level. Forces on the unsupported part of the pylon.

I think I will make it 50 inches and I am going to put an additional cross brace in. I will post pictures when I get it done. That won't until the end of April when I can get it out of storage. Thanks again for all your help.

I think our Bennington post is 52". Given all of the work you're going to be putting into it, I'd double check that 50" is going to be enough.

Thank you for the heads up on that. It will be no more work to make it longer so I will investigate this further.

Just wondering if this ever got built and if so, how it went? I have a 21 SSX with the hole through the table, through the floor, etc just like the pics. I can buy the bennington official unit, but the dealer wants a ton of money! Id love to buy a diff manufacturers or even custom fabricate it if anyone has one they want to sell or anyone have an after market?

Hi Mike , yes I had it made for less then $100. It is 53" and made from solid 3" aluminum. I had the local technical college machine the groove in the end for the rope and tap the other end for a 3/4" stud. I used a 3/4" X 4" stainless steel stud for the hole in the tunnel. I then put I believe a 2 1/2" X 3/8" angle bracket across the top of the tunnel and inline with the ski pylon. I bolted it thru the top of the tunnel and then I made a U clamp out of stainless threaded rod and used it to attach the pylon to the angle bracket. I used this instead of the aluminum plate shown in the pictures. Hope this helps.

Wow....Is there any opportunity the school would like to make another? id pay for sure, Im in Port Charlotte Florida....what city/state is the college that did this for you?

I live in Wisconsin and teach at the college. They will do small projects if it can be worked into the curriculum. Unfortunately they are not working on those skills this semester. I would check with your local technical/vocational school and see if they would be willing to help you out. I know when I checked it was about $800 to purchase the pylon from the dealer but it was surely better quality and I would remove it if I sold the boat as it was not engineered. I just use it to pull the grandkids on a tube.

Back