Slip cost.....

When I moved to the Lake Norman area 38 years ago, nice lots were $30k and big water main channel lots were $80k. They were expensive then too, at least for someone just starting out. Strange thing is just before Covid you could get a nice lot for $3-400k. Now they have shot up to over half a million with several listed over a million. If you look on Zillow and see something for $1 million on the lake thinking it is a house, but it is a lot only. The type that was $300k a couple of years ago.

Only if I hadn’t been so scared, so dumb and so broke!
It ain't just Lake Norman. We have been looking and wanting at Smith Mountain Lake in Va. for 3 years. I just saw someone the other day looking for a place there with a dock and a budget of $500k. They got laughed off the site. Currently, you might as well have $1.5mil before even looking. That $500k MIGHT buy a decent lot....dependent upon your definition of decent. And if there's not a dock already there, you are looking at years to have one due to all the lake logistics. People are buying lots with docks now just to get a dock. It's very hard to get one approved and built.

I challenge anyone to go to Lake Norman and look around in the Point or the Peninsula Club and not ask their self where all these people come from with all that money. This is NOT an intended promotion of Lake Norman. It"s that way at all nice lakes with residential communities. A lot of lakes around here won't even allow waterfront homes or water sports other than boating itself. But my wife's mouth drops every time we see some of these places. And we ain't poor.

If you only knew, Jack. To give you some perspective, the Point at Lake Norman is a private Donald Trump owned community and Country Club. There is nothing out there but the finest. I suspect the "slip" he's going to look at would be FINE !!!
If that's the case ,$175.00 a month is a steal .

In our community, it's about $1,200 a season, the local marinas are close to $2k. That's for a May-October season. Winter storage is additional...

Boat slip is $225 per month (10x30 shared), but I can get away with starting the rent May 1 though I don't get the boat dropped in until June. I generally leave it in the water until mid September. Then the Boat Storage is $315 per month, which is really a deal for the area, but I have to keep the space year round (it took me almost 9 months to get one - and it was some work with some luck - called every month and got put on over a dozen wait lists - most places don't even keep lists - some talk about not having a single turnover in years). What can I say....B>O>A>T....LOL.

When I moved to the Lake Norman area 38 years ago, nice lots were $30k and big water main channel lots were $80k. They were expensive then too, at least for someone just starting out. Strange thing is just before Covid you could get a nice lot for $3-400k. Now they have shot up to over half a million with several listed over a million. If you look on Zillow and see something for $1 million on the lake thinking it is a house, but it is a lot only. The type that was $300k a couple of years ago.

Only if I hadn’t been so scared, so dumb and so broke!
Yes a 3/4 acre waterfront lot on our loop was listed for $1 million. Don't know what the final price was but it sold!

I pay $3,500 a year for slip, fall service, covering and storage. The marina we’re at has a long waiting list

I love West Virginia prices. Slip is $950 from 4/15 to 10/15. Summer trailer storage is $95 for the entire summer. Then $210 for indoor storage for the entire winter, not per month.
$210.00, Is that from a dealer or a friend ?

$300/ month for 26' covered with free water. Electric is separately metered.

SML prices are pretty insane but some of the houses are darn nice. Probably 70% of the houses aren't even occupied full time!

Did you take it ?
Not yet. I have to actually convince my wife. It's a square platform at the end of a walkway and you can only tie the boat up on one side. There will be another boat on the other side. She was hoping for a "horseshoe" set up like we have had before where we are able to walk around the entire boat to put the cover on and secure it to the dock in multiple places. We'll see.......

A local County Fairground stores boats and campers in their garages during the winter as a fundraiser for the program. They charge $10 per foot. It helps them out and Boat/RV people get a great deal. Storage is October to April. It’s great.
That's a great idea .
Our association has enough property at our marina to build a pole barn ( or 2 ) at the marina and has talked about building them ,but that is as far as it has gotten . I'll bring it up again at our next meeting . Trailers are already allowed at the marina .no extra cost

She was hoping for a "horseshoe" set up like we have had before where we are able to walk around the entire boat to put the cover on and secure it to the dock in multiple places.
Don't sweat the covering issue. My 22 footer is tied to my 10' x 10' dock and it's a breeze to cover from inside the boat.

docked.JPG

We pay $453 per month all year round. That hurts in the winter months but we were able to go out 3 days last week when it was in the low 70's. There are literally no available slips in the Knoxville, TN area. Over 100 people on the waiting list. Our slip is 40' x 20' and covered. Yep, very much over kill for our boat but we also have a jet ski port in there as well. I could save money and go to a smaller slip but I like the extra protection from the 40' long roof, especially when we get a crazy spring thunderstorm.

We pay $453 per month all year round. That hurts in the winter months but we were able to go out 3 days last week when it was in the low 70's. There are literally no available slips in the Knoxville, TN area. Over 100 people on the waiting list. Our slip is 40' x 20' and covered. Yep, very much over kill for our boat but we also have a jet ski port in there as well. I could save money and go to a smaller slip but I like the extra protection from the 40' long roof, especially when we get a crazy spring thunderstorm.
And that's not even with a lift, is it ? Wow.

It’s hard to rent or buy a slip down here. People are buying 1M$ & up high rise condos on the water with no boat slips so they buy slips wherever they are available and paying a premium price for them.

Back