So I bought me second Bennington, This one has the Yamaho SHO, it is so loud we cannot talk when underway.

David G

Reaction score
Is this normal. My old boat had the 175 hp 4 cylinder motor and is was church quiet. I just think something is not right even though it runs great.

Did your dealer do a water test with you ? If not what did he say when you asked him ?

Also what model. If old was closed in rear and new is open rear, may make a big difference.

Yes old boat closed rear, new boat open. The boat is a 23R. So loud I am having regrets. They did do a service run, but with some kid, not my sales guy.

Contact your dealer and Yamaha ,see what they have to say .

I'm not sure if the SHO engines are louder than the standard engines? I know that Merc Pro XS are louder than their standard ones.

Yes old boat closed rear, new boat open. The boat is a 23R. So loud I am having regrets. They did do a service run, but with some kid, not my sales guy.

As my dad would say, Turn the radio up louder.

The 175 runs on the same block as the 150 if I’m not mistaken, so would not surprise if it was much quieter than the 200-250 block. My SHO experiences are that they are not obnoxiously noisy, but I ran bass tournaments around guys that would run 15-year old 2-stroke Merc’s that would leave you deaf after a long run.

Watch some YouTube videos with high quality sound or go on a friends boat to compare.

The guy I bought my boat from said my mercury verado was much quieter than the f 300 Yamaha he has on his new boat but when I got curious and looked at decibels it wasn’t much different. May be a tone thing more than actually being louder

One thing I noticed the other day, is that the motor seems louder even at idle with the Bimini open. It bounces the sound back into the playpen. When I have the Bimini closed, it’s a lot quieter.

The SHO motors are louder. Super high output

One thing I noticed the other day, is that the motor seems louder even at idle with the Bimini open. It bounces the sound back into the playpen. When I have the Bimini closed, it’s a lot quieter.
bow gate seat is over $900

One of the great things with a Mercury Verado Pro is they are high output with their supercharger, BUT they are more quiet than the Yamaha’s, especially the SHO’s/VMAX. That said, i don’t think the actual decible difference is huge. I think it is the actual “sound” actually sounds is softer...if that makes sense.

I built a plexy-glass slip in gate- 1/4" by 26.5" by 36" tall, it is see through and made a big difference.

My Verado 350 is super quiet. Surprised that the Yamaha is much louder.

Is it just loud at idle or anytime under way? I have a Merc Four Stroke, I know the Pro XS versions are a bit louder at idle, but not much more under way.

Are you talking "underway" as in 30mph, or 10 mph? I had both a 200 SHO and 250 SHO on an RCW without ever mentally thinking "sheesh that motor is loud" . Granted the wind noise was!

Hi. I am trying to get some feedback. I have the same complaint about my 21 lsb with a Yamaha 150. I came up with a product that helps reduce the noise significantly. I am in the process of finding manufactures but the cost is higher than I expected. Inflation. :) I am questioning if I should move forward. How much would people spend to solve it? I am not looking to make a living with this product but do not want to lose money. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Back