So this happend to our cottage Monday evening, 2/24:

The contractor should be on the hook for 100% of the tv and stand. They should have a commercial general liability policy that covers property damage for accidents like this. I’d ask for his policy and agents information. As for the other cost overruns due to mistakes, that is on the contractor and the other insurance company...not yours. Especially if the contractor didn’t dispatch due diligence in securing the property and preventing further damage. Hang in there.

Wow, that is really too bad. Hopefully it didn’t complete kill the summer there for you. But it looks great and that house and deck is awesome! Kind of a farmer’s tan house. The contractor probably figured insurance will pay, so he let things slip. His bad on that one. I would have thought maybe the parents of the kid would have stepped up for him (I’d bet they are paying his legal fees). None of this should be on you.

Good luck with it all. Let’s see, COVID, guy crashes your house, all the construction BS, dealing with insurance hassles, and contractor hassles, and toon leak.

For me it’s been COVID, north house getting water in basement, Midland house getting lots of water in basement after floods in Midland, and the resulting contractor hassles. “Lucky“ for me no insurance stuff to deal with because they denied my claim promptly.

Can‘t wait for 2021.

Insurance jobs are guaranteed money so they will most likely take care of you again. They typically don’t get paid until you sign a certificate of completion so that is your insurance policy they will finish the job to your satisfaction.

From earlier in thread, if this is still the case, you have a better position for the issues to be addressed properly.

Wow, that is really too bad. Hopefully it didn’t complete kill the summer there for you. But it looks great and that house and deck is awesome! Kind of a farmer’s tan house. The contractor probably figured insurance will pay, so he let things slip. His bad on that one. I would have thought maybe the parents of the kid would have stepped up for him (I’d bet they are paying his legal fees). None of this should be on you.

Good luck with it all. Let’s see, COVID, guy crashes your house, all the construction BS, dealing with insurance hassles, and contractor hassles, and toon leak.

For me it’s been COVID, north house getting water in basement, Midland house getting lots of water in basement after floods in Midland, and the resulting contractor hassles. “Lucky“ for me no insurance stuff to deal with because they denied my claim promptly.

Can‘t wait for 2021.

Man...that is an awful string of bad luck too. I hope 2021 brings you significantly better luck. I didn’t realize the Midland dam and flooding issues impacted you. That is such a God awful situation for everyone your way. My heart goes out to you and all impacted. Yikes!

Man...that is an awful string of bad luck too. I hope 2021 brings you significantly better luck. I didn’t realize the Midland dam and flooding issues impacted you. That is such a God awful situation for everyone your way. My heart goes out to you and all impacted. Yikes!

Thanks Jeff. It seems this year, we’re all getting hit hard in different ways. The flood was a surreal experience for us, and our whole community, and still is as we’re still fixing everything up and trying to support one another. My wife and I are grateful for the place up north (except for the little water issue, but Midland put it to shame). I’m sure you are going through the same stress with the unplanned rebuild, and hope you are doing well. It has been a terrible year so far.

Can’t look forward to college football, and the next two months of political ads will just be excruciating. If it weren’t for boats, I’d go crazy!!

Sentencing was today for the young man. I spoke at it and gave a victims impact statement. My focus: Yes he needs to be held accountable, but primarily we want that to have an educational growth component. I stressed to the young man that he has his whole life ahead of himself. He needs to make better decisions. He needs to put his nose to the grindstone and get through college successfully (he is ironically a freshman MSU student). And finally that we want him to learn from this and pay forward his lessons so as to help others make safer decisions.

He is still recovering from some memory issues tied to his closed head injury. However, it sounded like most all of his other injuries have healed up well. Hopefully he will learn from this accident, and be more safe in the future.

Last edited:
Back