Solid beeping when key in 1st position

Jeff Pearl

Reaction score
Hello. My one year old Bennington with a Yamaha F150 won’t start. As soon as I turn the key into first position, i get a solid beep. It is the same when turning to start it and the Boat won’t do anything. I’ve checked the batteries and also emptied the water/fuel separator on the front of the engine. Any ideas for me since I can’t get my new baby started.

Hello. My one year old Bennington with a Yamaha F150 won’t start. As soon as I turn the key into first position, i get a solid beep. It is the same when turning to start it and the Boat won’t do anything. I’ve checked the batteries and also emptied the water/fuel separator on the front of the engine. Any ideas for me since I can’t get my new baby started.
Check and make sure the red kill clip is in

Check to make sure the throttle is in neutral.

Pop your kill switch on and off a couple times. Sounds like safety switch issue. If solid tone, in neutral and no action from keyed switch, my call is the safety switch itself.

Next I'd remove the engine cowl and make sure all connectors are tight everywhere. There's a dozen or more. Just look it over closely. I usually do this by disconnecting them completely, then reconnecting them. This may not solve the issue, but costs nothing to try.

After that, something is preventing the starter from engaging, and it might throw an engine code. Your dealer would have to hook up a code reader.

Disconnect one side of the kill switch Semper was talking about and check it with an ohm meter.

We've all made the kill switch mistake once. Only once though! When it happened to me, my Merc didn't run a continuous tone. Not sure about Yamaha.

Back