Son of a @#$%^&

mtudb24

Reaction score
Well, it was bound to happen I guess.  After 5 years of near dent / ding / scratch free operation, it happened.  I will get a picture next weekend.  Was too angry to actually take a photo this weekend.  Had my son's friends up on the boat and they decided (God who knows why) but to kick the port side mid gate and bow the panel out of the door.  No matter what I do, I can't seat the panel back into the door and have this huge bulge.

So, do I order a whole new port side gate?  (2275 RCW) or do I try and clamp the panel in and super-glue it or ???

Any help is appreciated.  Will post pics o the "bow" when I'm back up at the boat this weekend

Thanks

Todd

Sorry to hear. It's tough to get it back from their skinny, sorry fannies, isn't it?

Did the panel actually come out of the groove that it sits in?!? 

If you can get it to the dealer, tell them what happened, and hopefully they will have a little sympathy for you.  They should know how to reinsert the panel and if not, they might be a little generous on the cost of a replacement panel.  If that doesn't work, you could always contact Bennington, tell them your story and ask for mercy...  From what I've read Bennington is great to work with.  Good luck and don't kill the kids!!!

They kicked it out on purpose?????? How old are they? Time for a lesson on actions have consequences. Never to young to work off a debt.

I had a major dent in my plastic bumper cover on my Envoy. The corner was completly caved in. I crawled under the car and pushed it out with my foot as best I could. It still was totally crinkled and had creases in it. I took a heat gun and slowly heated it up and let it cool.  It took a couple dozen cycles, but it looked like new when I got done. People that saw it before and after were stunned. Not sure how to get your panel back in the grooves, but this might work on the dent.  Good luck.  Sorry to hear this happened. Glad you didn't tear some kids head off. Thanks for the prop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe use a putty knife to slightly open the grooves to get the panel back in, then use a heat gun on the dent?  Then use a piece of metal a few inches long and a vice grip to gently crimp the grooves back in place?  Sounds like you have nothing to lose trying if it's toast...  This story really sucks!

Drill the rivets out (unless screwed) that holds the gate on. Look on bottom. For some reason I thought the bottom track was held on by plugs?? The factory puts the panels in somehow, so they must come apart ???  <_<

I would suggest using a mirror to look for plugs instead of drilling out rivets to look for plugs!

Thank you all for the advice.  Very good things to try for sure. 

I will look at it closely this weekend. His one buddy was setting in the boat and the other kid was in the water and went to open the door to get a pop and the kid on the boat kicked the gate shut and that's how it popped out of the groove (the guilty boy is 11 years old). My son was eating lunch on rear lounger and said "Dad, you don't want to see what they just did"....

The panel is bowed out at the opposite end of the hinge.

Todd

That would be his last time on the boat! 

I think his parents would be paying for a new door.

Wow...

I've read this day one, and I've been pondering what I'd do. I think I'd make sure the culprit and his father were available the day you go to pick up the new parts, or the day you try to fix it. I'd ask them both if they wanted to help. Make it a fun teaching moment. If there is ANY back talk unwillingness to help, etc. etc. I'd start hitting the gym and in 7 years when he's 18... 

I've been following this thread and have thought about my childhood. And I was such an angle! Now I think that it should be a teachable moment. Your son and his buddy should work with you on the gate.I'm sure in a long run,they would get much more out of that lesson than not inviting back on the boat. I like the kids learning about boating when their young.

Thank you all for the advice.  Very good things to try for sure. 

I will look at it closely this weekend. His one buddy was setting in the boat and the other kid was in the water and went to open the door to get a pop and the kid on the boat kicked the gate shut and that's how it popped out of the groove (the guilty boy is 11 years old). My son was eating lunch on rear lounger and said "Dad, you don't want to see what they just did"....

The panel is bowed out at the opposite end of the hinge.

Todd

Besides, it's better than prison. LOL

Back