Soon to be a Proud 20SLG Owner!

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Very soon I will be putting a down payment on a brand new Bennington 20SLG build with 90 Yamaha (L-bench model) and I am beyond excited! We will be boating in beautiful Canandaigua Lake in New York's Finger Lakes Region. While modest in my boat selection, I will spring for some options including the custom wheel upgrade, wheel tilt, blue LED lighting in the Bimini, the aft changing room, dual batteries, docking lights, ski tow bar, and a couple other upgrades. It's just the wife, me, and our dog for 75% of our anticipated usage.

I have scoured the Internet looking at Bennys (articles, videos, photos), but just can't seem to find anybody else who owns a 20SLG or similar. So many people have higher-end luxury models in 22', 24', and longer with three tubes and massive engines costing $60K, $80K, $150K, and more.

While I'm happy fellow Benny owners have those monster machines, I am asking others on these forums who have more entry-level, two-tube 16'-20' toons to let me know that I'm not alone! It would be great if you could share with me what you own and show some pictures. Tell me what you love about your toon.

Oh... quick question... With the wife and me on the toon, what can I expect with regards to tubing or skiing? Can the 20SLG with 90 HP handle a 52 year-old 6'1" dude who weighs 250 lbs on a tube or skies?

Thank you everyone! I can't wait to be a part of the Bennington family in May 2021!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and an early Congrats on your future Benny purchase! Your lake looks beautiful! To answer your question.......Although people have skiied behind a 90 hp, to pull a big guy like you out of the water you need a motor that has lots of torque/holeshot and once it gets you up maintain that 24-25 mph speed for an enjoyable skiing experience. I don't feel that a 90hp can adequately do that. Plus a 2 tube boat is considered a displacement hull where it will just plow through the water. A 3 tube boat is considered a planing hull where it will get on top of the water on plane. So if skiing is important to you I would think you would need something a little more powerful. If not the 20SLG with a 90hp. would be a fine choice......

Thank you for the quick reply, BigKahuna! While slightly disappointed, your answer is not unexpected; we are not buying the boat for water sports... it just would be nice to do once in awhile. Perhaps we’ll forgo the ski tow bar and shave some expense from the purchase.

The pictures of your lake and boating area are beautiful. It looks like an amazing area! For just cruising around for the 2 of you and your dog, this set up should work just fine. It’s always great to cruise around in a pontoon. Daril gave some good advise above about skiing. I just don’t see that happening for the reasons he pointed out. You could still casually drag a tube behind it. It wouldn’t be any kind of a thrill ride, but if you want to just have a casual or easy going tubing trip, you could still do that if you stick with the tow bar.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Those pics are awesome. I have a 21’ with 2 toons and a 115. So you are not alone!!! The boat is exactly what we want and I’m sure you’ll be just as happy. Agree with all the comments about pulling skiers,tubers. You may be able to pull up kids, small adults on skis, but unfortunately you are out of luck.

I’d recommend wave shield if you can still add that as it would help your speed.

Look at the new SPS 23” will be much better then 2 tube 25”. Spend more now is cheaper then regrets and trading in a year or two.

To save money, unless you are absolutely sure you will boat at night, save $$$ on the led bimini lighting. I’ve had it o two boats now and never boat at night. Don’t get me wrong, I’d use it if I boated at night but we never have. Get yourself a couple cheap clamp on leds if you need lighting. Use that money elsewhere. Upgraded sound, pop up cleats are a nice upgrade I have and love. Clean and no toe stubbing.

You will be happy with the boat We have 22 SLX with a 115 and it is great for my wife and I Most of the time we cruse at 2000 to 3000 rpm and enjoy the ride There will always be a bigger and better boat enjoy what you have. Speed is not what pontoon boats are all about but about enjoying life on the water. Nothing better than being on the lake with the wife and dog , watching the sun go down Life is good

Authorizeduser, My family started with a 20’ pontoon. It had a 90 hp Merc and I was able to slalom ski with my old bald fat man waterski. It is a wide shaped ski and I still love it. I had to retire my competition ski due to the pontoon speed. Not sure if the fourstroke 90 hp my be a bit different than my Merc 90 hp two Stroke Was. We eventually out grew the pontoon as the kids grew. We finally after 14 years had to up grade.
PS : I bought myself a new waterski last winter. It is more of a competition ski. I like it, but I still love my old bald fat man ski. It’s just so easy to get up on!!!

Welcome to Bennington forum.

Very soon I will be putting a down payment on a brand new Bennington 20SLG build with 90 Yamaha (L-bench model) and I am beyond excited! We will be boating in beautiful Canandaigua Lake in New York's Finger Lakes Region. While modest in my boat selection, I will spring for some options including the custom wheel upgrade, wheel tilt, blue LED lighting in the Bimini, the aft changing room, dual batteries, docking lights, ski tow bar, and a couple other upgrades. It's just the wife, me, and our dog for 75% of our anticipated usage.

I have scoured the Internet looking at Bennys (articles, videos, photos), but just can't seem to find anybody else who owns a 20SLG or similar. So many people have higher-end luxury models in 22', 24', and longer with three tubes and massive engines costing $60K, $80K, $150K, and more.

While I'm happy fellow Benny owners have those monster machines, I am asking others on these forums who have more entry-level, two-tube 16'-20' toons to let me know that I'm not alone! It would be great if you could share with me what you own and show some pictures. Tell me what you love about your toon.

Oh... quick question... With the wife and me on the toon, what can I expect with regards to tubing or skiing? Can the 20SLG with 90 HP handle a 52 year-old 6'1" dude who weighs 250 lbs on a tube or skies?

Thank you everyone! I can't wait to be a part of the Bennington family in May 2021!

View attachment 27888View attachment 27889View attachment 27890
Wow! Beautiful lake and congratulations! We have the SFV20 with a 90hp Yamaha. First off boating is all about what you want in particular. Your situation sounds much like ours as in the use of the boat. You will love the quality as Benny’s are very solid and ride like a boss even when the lake gets rough. Expect to get 20-25mph with just the two of you and a normal load which is plenty fast enough for tubing, may not be a thrill ride but still fun. We are thrilled with the whole package that Bennington puts together in their smaller entry level boats and after a full year of use I honestly wouldn’t change a thing. You will also be happy with your upgrades! Enjoy and read a lot of this forum, there are so many knowledgeable people that post here

Our Two tube 22’ SLX Has a 50 hp on it. We are on a 400 acre lake so never in a hurry to get anywhere. We are always out for slow cruises. We sold our bow rider ski boat because no one ever wanted to ski anyway. We can and do, very occasionally, pull smaller kids on a tube (9-10 year olds) but it is a slow ride that they enjoy anyway. . This is our 8th summer, always enjoy it and have no plans to “upgrade”.

Last edited:
Nice pictures. I boat on Skaneateles, never been to Canandaigua, but that looks awesome. Congrats on your new boat.
We love Skaneateles! Absolutely beautiful lake and wonderful town.

SPS package is available on your model .

Yup, and the $4,000 upgrade (plus inevitable larger motor) would have priced us out of even buying the boat. Come hell or high water, we are going to have our boat completely paid off in 6-7 years; we can only do that at our price point.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Those pics are awesome. I have a 21’ with 2 toons and a 115. So you are not alone!!! The boat is exactly what we want and I’m sure you’ll be just as happy. Agree with all the comments about pulling skiers,tubers. You may be able to pull up kids, small adults on skis, but unfortunately you are out of luck.

I’d recommend wave shield if you can still add that as it would help your speed.
Thanks for the feedback and encouraging words!

Look at the new SPS 23” will be much better then 2 tube 25”. Spend more now is cheaper then regrets and trading in a year or two.
No can do. Way too much money. My wife originally wanted us to buy a used boat for $5K and I was able to talk her up to a new boat for $35K. I can't even begin to look at $50K+... I will have my boat completely paid for in under seven years. Plus, we don't want to upgrade; kids are out of the house and it's just us two. We don't need or want any longer boat that can go 40-50mph.

To save money, unless you are absolutely sure you will boat at night, save $$$ on the led bimini lighting. I’ve had it o two boats now and never boat at night. Don’t get me wrong, I’d use it if I boated at night but we never have. Get yourself a couple cheap clamp on leds if you need lighting. Use that money elsewhere. Upgraded sound, pop up cleats are a nice upgrade I have and love. Clean and no toe stubbing.
I was drawn to the LED Bimini simply because of the prospect of night boating; I do think we will do something at night, even if it's just in the slip. I wish I could afford the SX models with LED lighting around the speakers and along the bottom of the seats (looks really cool w/o adding light pollution to the lake). I did upgrade the speakers but passed on the pop-up cleats and opted instead for the heavy-duty rub rail. I can't wait to be a boat owner and actually BELONG at the marina instead of the creepy skulker dude looking at everyone's boats! :)

You will be happy with the boat We have 22 SLX with a 115 and it is great for my wife and I Most of the time we cruse at 2000 to 3000 rpm and enjoy the ride There will always be a bigger and better boat enjoy what you have. Speed is not what pontoon boats are all about but about enjoying life on the water. Nothing better than being on the lake with the wife and dog , watching the sun go down Life is good
Yours is my favorite response! "Nothing better than being on the lake with the wife and dog, watching the sun go down. Life is good." Amen brother!

Authorizeduser, My family started with a 20’ pontoon. It had a 90 hp Merc and I was able to slalom ski with my old bald fat man waterski. It is a wide shaped ski and I still love it. I had to retire my competition ski due to the pontoon speed. Not sure if the fourstroke 90 hp my be a bit different than my Merc 90 hp two Stroke Was. We eventually out grew the pontoon as the kids grew. We finally after 14 years had to up grade.
PS : I bought myself a new waterski last winter. It is more of a competition ski. I like it, but I still love my old bald fat man ski. It’s just so easy to get up on!!!

Welcome to Bennington forum.
Thank you! So happy to be a part of the Forums. I'm quite sure I will borrow a ski from someone at some point and see what my boat can do. I opted for the VMAX SHO upgrade on the Yamaha 90hp; perhaps that will give me the torque I need to come out of the water faster. We shall see. It's is going to be a looong winter waiting for delivery!

Back