Speaker wiring

Supertoon

Reaction score
Has anyone lost rear speaker due to bad wire. If so how do you replace wiring to rear speaker?

What year is your Bennington? Covered under warranty?

I’ve had bad connections at both ends that with a little wiggling started working. I’d bet it’s at radio harness connection more than a bad wire. Just run a new wire to the speaker under the deck if you think it’s bad.

Did you lose only one speaker or did you lose a pair? My last boat was a 2011 and the factory Sony stereo had an annoying default -- if the radio lost power, it would default to a 4 speaker set up. So both rear speakers would be silent. You had to drill down several levels in the settings to find the option to enable the rear speakers. So if your radio looks like this (sorry, I can't make out the model number in this crop), look in the manual for the setting to enable the rear speakers.

radio.jpg

Did you lose only one speaker or did you lose a pair? My last boat was a 2011 and the factory Sony stereo had an annoying default -- if the radio lost power, it would default to a 4 speaker set up. So both rear speakers would be silent. You had to drill down several levels in the settings to find the option to enable the rear speakers. So if your radio looks like this (sorry, I can't make out the model number in this crop), look in the manual for the setting to enable the rear speakers.

View attachment 32603
It does look like that one, only one speaker failed. I tested wiring, Bad!

Did you to test the speaker as well? Just asking. In my experience a lot of issues with speaker wiring are related to bad splices or cold solder joints even though I have seen some wires that got pinched. Not trying to question so much your troubleshooting skills, just trying to follow a logical fault isolation process.

I did, I interchange with the speaker near the helm and it worked. I checked speaker wire continuity and it has high resistance. I am pretty confident that the speaker wire needs to be replaced. I am not sure of how to go about replacing the wire.

Is the wiring factory(part of a bigger harness)or aftermarket(solo wires). If aftermarket you can use the old to pull a new one. If it’s factory wiring the best thing is run a new one as safe as you can to that speaker. Check behind the HU for a loose connection. Pull some on the wire behind the speaker to see if there’s a connector in-line? Fishing wires on a boat is no fun.

Im working on a jet boat that was to close to a lightning strike, two amps, all of the speakers, a sub and one battery got smoked. None of the RCAs survived either.

Good luck.

View attachment 32603
I lost my 1 front speaker on the bench. I have a speaker on port bench and port aft bench (all three of these work). I removed the front speaker.
I took 1 speaker I know works and connected it to the front speaker connectors. nothing. I checked all 4 speakers with a multimeter. All three had signals except the front speaker. Reading your response, do you think I may have the same problem except in reverse? all rear speakers work and the front does not. I have a 2014 with the Sony radio that resets everytime I turn off power. Can't stand this radio demo/default reset. Thanks.

did you ever run the wire? i have the same issue. front speaker wire bad
Check your harness connection at the radio. I get a dead speaker or two every so often and I jiggle that connection and they start working.

Back