splash guard question. please read

youghpirate

Reaction score
so this saturday we were out at the lake, swimming and i noticed something strange. i have a 2011 20' SLI. this is the basic model of Benny, 2 toons, fuel tank in the center under the deck in front of the motor in a wedge shaped aluminum housing. (please xcuse my descriptions as im not sure of the correct names of the components) as i was swimming past the back of the boat i looked under the deck. looking at the boat from the rear, on the left side there is an aluminum plate that covers the underside of the deck from the edge of the pontoon to the center "wedge shaped" compartment where the fuel tank is located in front of the outboard. it is about 4' long (guessing) and 2' wide at the back and tapers to about 3' wide at the front. im assuming this is a splashguard. but there is not one on the right side between the pontoon and the fuel tank compartment.

is this a factory mistake or is it supposed to be on one side only? you can see where the holes were drilled at the factory for the instalation but it was never on there. it is held on by 5 rivits. the holes dont even shows signs of rivits ever being installed in them.

is this plate supposed to be on here? the only reason i could think its on the left side and not the right is the left side is where the fuel filler hose comes in from the side of the boat.

any ideas or comments?

thanks....

Sounds like half your wave shield is missing.

I have a 24 SSL, so similar model, but ours has 3 pontoons (express package). It has waveshields on both sides of the center tube, and as far as I recall (and I've been under the boat a number of times looking at stuff) everything is symmetrical on both sides. Someone else here will have the same boat you do and can comment, but it sounds like you have something missing.

On the other hand, if I recall correctly, waveshields are an option, and it's possible what you have is what you get without ordering the waveshield.

Snap a picture and post it here. Others will comment on it and the factory (TB) will see it Monday and let you know.

Yeah, it's a $532 option on your boat.

Comes standard with the Express Tube Package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Youghpirate,

You are correct, this plate covers the fuel filler hose. You can add underskin material if you choose or leave it open.

Nothing to worry about.

I have a 2012 22ssl and thats what mine looks like too. I asked the dealer and he said thats the way it comes. Not to worry..

I have the same setup as you do, and i posted the same question on here a year or so ago.

That plate is to protect the fuel hoses,and does not affect the performance of the boat.

Well, being a bit obsessive compulsive, i had to go and have a plate made to match the other side, along with having 3 more panels made to complete the underskin.

Luckily, i have a friend who works building truck boxes, so it was an easy job for him to make the pieces for me.

If you look in the gallery you can see the end result, it makes for a quieter ride, and less surging when wakes hit the crossmembers.

In hindsight, i should have opted for the wave shield package, but that's just me, the boat was fine without it.

So just enjoy your toon, and don't sweat the little stuff, unless you overthink every thing like i do :D

Last edited by a moderator:
once again i got the answers i needed. thanks to everyone for the help!!!

the forum is a great tool for the new boater like me.

again thank you.

Just some pics of my 22ssl to add. The rear view is of the 32'' logs. Underdeck is of the wave shield on the fuel pod and the wave deflector just on the port side. Hope this helps..

underdeck.JPG

underdeck2.JPG

rear 32.JPG

hapehour, thanks for the pics. its identical to mine. i guess i was just thinking something was missing.

seemed odd it was only on 1 side, but as noted in other replies its to protect the fuel lines & etc...

thanks for the reassureance.

Back