SSI Titantic

RiverBill

Reaction score
Well after 3 days in the water our 3 week old Bennington 22 SSI started listing to the rear starboard side! The rear outside tube was taking on water. We almost couldn't get her back on the trailer, way to heavy! Needed 4x4 to get up the ramp because of tire spin. The rear inside weld on the starboard tube end cap has a small area that was not welded about half way up the tube. it's been draining out a small stream of water for 14 hours! Headed back to the boat shop on Tuesday, I don't think this one was pressure tested! Good news, looks like a easy fix!

Still love the boat,

RiverBill

Well after 3 days in the water our 3 week old Bennington 22 SSI started listing to the rear starboard side! The rear outside tube was taking on water. We almost couldn't get her back on the trailer, way to heavy! Needed 4x4 to get up the ramp because of tire spin. The rear inside weld on the starboard tube end cap has a small area that was not welded about half way up the tube. it's been draining out a small stream of water for 14 hours! Headed back to the boat shop on Tuesday, I don't think this one was pressure tested! Good news, looks like a easy fix!

Still love the boat,

RiverBill
Hmmm, that seems pretty disappointing that it is somehow being missed at the factory. I would think it is a pretty important step. I know I will be none to happy if I finally get home with it only to find out that I have to turn around and make the 11 hour trip back to dealer to get fixed, then be without my boat while it gets fixed. Then make another 11 hour trip to get it. Gotta say, I don't really expect there to be that kind of a major issue with ANY pontoon, let alone a Bennington, this is the second one we've heard about on here in a very short time.

Derrick

Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Hope the dealer gets on top it quick for you and gets you back on the water quickly.

Must be the same welder who did mine. I had the same problem. I requested the dealer pickup the boat and have it back to me in 24 hours. They did and it's been fine since.

See this thread and "the sinking feeling". Photos included.

Stuff happens and Bennington is in high cotton with orders.....

Last edited by a moderator:
No company is perfect. We all know its how they handle the problem that turns us into loyal customers. Or not.

That said, add "check weld continuity" to the delivery inspection check list!

Dropped the boat off this morning at my Bennington dealer, luckly there is an outstanding heliarc welder in the local area (Wild Bill's Welding in Riverside, Ca.) that the dealer uses. Hope to have it back by the weekend! Basically drill a drain hole to get the water out, then weld the two holes up.

RiverBill

Dropped the boat off this morning at my Bennington dealer, luckly there is an outstanding heliarc welder in the local area (Wild Bill's Welding in Riverside, Ca.) that the dealer uses. Hope to have it back by the weekend! Basically drill a drain hole to get the water out, then weld the two holes up.

RiverBill
I always wondered why Bennington doesn't have removable plugs on the backs of the tubes like other manufacturers.

Carl & Suzi:

Many round toon'd boats have multiple sealed sections. A plug wouldn't help on anything but the back sealed section.

Some pontoon boats have U shaped toons that are foam filled for safety and structure--but no sealed sections. Their plugs would drain one full toon if there was a leak.

Well got the pontoon tube welded today, 1 hour of draining and 20 minutes of repair!

Thanks to Wild Bill's Welding in Riveride, Ca. an excellent heliarc welder!

Now to get it on the lake tomorrow.

What's next?

RiverBill

Back