Stainless steel prop

SheCaptain

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, but do all stainless steel props look like stainless steel? Or do some props (this one is on a yamaha 150) look almost painted? My Bennington saleman said that it was stainless when I asked, but I am still questioning it.

Some are polished stainless, I have seen some that look like they are powder coated.  Usually these props have a black finish, not shiny black, almost a matt finish.  Aluminum props are almost always white.

All my yamaha aluminum props are Flat black

All the SS are as shiny as mirrors.

All my props have been for 150 hp or more

I have noticed that the lower hp yamaha have aluminum wnite

I have 3 props for my Yammy 150, the 15X15 aluminum Yamaha prop it came with then I got a 15X15 Yamaha prop in black stainless then upped to a Yamaha reliance 14.5X15 full stainless, so to answer the OP's question yes they make black stainless props.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture ?

The black stainless ones are painted and the pant can be different colors or tarnished and will wear off and look just like clean normal grey steel.

This is an interesting question because my 150 has a SS prop, BUT it looks like it was coated in baby powder.... some areas that coating is removed and it's a mirror finish in those areas, but still 90% dusty looking.  I have 25 hours on it... Is this some type of coating used to confirm if a prop has been used or not?

Mine shined at first ,very dull today . What is the best way to clean  a SS prop ?

Just like you polish toons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine shined at first ,very dull today . What is the best way to clean  a SS prop ?
I've had good luck running mine through sand. Shines 'er right up nice. Really. :)

Mine was shiny when I bought it, but now it's rather faded.  Looks like the shiny pealed off, but I'm guessing it's just dull.  Haven't looked real close, just thought, hmm...that didn't last long (20 hours).  It's a Yamaha Reliance SS.

My Reliance prop looks like chrome.  But it stays out of the water hanging in a boathouse.

Boats left in the water may have props with more corrosion, etc., especially if the water is marginal in quality. 

You've also got to be careful around boat docks as there can often be some electricity in the water from a boat lift and/or shore power in marinas with the polarity on the wiring reversed.   (Don't ask how I know.)

I originally started off with a Yamaha M14 prop that was painted black.  All of my old Yamaha props were aluminum, and they were painted black--like my Mercury props.

I thought they were painted to deter theft...

My Reliance is still nice and shiny.  I keep the boat in a slip but tilt the motor up and out of the water. 

This one is a Yamaha Reliance.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture. 

a separate question: how can you tell the size and pitch of a prop?  I have an extra one off my old Sea Ray - but I have not idea what the size is. Do they universally fit motors?

Mine is Yamaha Reliance as well.  Here is a picture of it with 25 hours on it.  The foggy coating is starting to go away in certain spots for a mirror finish....

20140710_132458.jpg

Back