Stainless Vs Aluminum Prop Test

McZiggy

Reaction score
I finally got my new 14" x 13 pitch Yamaha Pontoon Performance Stainless prop!  I'll have it installed this weekend and will post performance numbers when I have them!

Here is what I've been running with a 13.75" x 13 pitch Solas Aluminum with slight cupping.  Both tests done with ~3/4 tank of fuel.  22 gallon tank.  Both tests done is 20+ mph winds and 2' chop.

6000 RPM @ 30.0 MPH GPS - One person, normal safety gear, bimini top in the full open position.

5200 RPM @ 20 MPH GPS - 9 Adults, 2 children, 3 coolers, 4 dogs, normal safety gear, bimini top in the full open position.

Also, for those that don't know what I have.  

2014 21SLX Yamaha F115 with the express tube package & no lifting strakes.

Happy holiday weekend!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck...I just went the other way for my 150 and only lost 1mph. ...the SS was a better performer, but given our hazards, the aluminum gives me piece of mind....Happy 4th

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck...I just went the other way for my 150 and only lost 1mph. ...the SS was a better performer, but given our hazards, the aluminum gives me piece of mind....Happy 4th
I had a stainless steel prop on my deck boat, but seldom took it to the Gulf where there are many hidden oyster bars and rocks.  My lake is mostly a sand bottom, so stainless steel would be fine.

I do take my Bennington to the gulf, so I will stick with the aluminum prop.

I don't understand about durability.  I used to go thru an aluminum prop every year.  When I changed to stainless prop on my new I/O, I went 10+ years with scarcely a scratch on the prop.

Thankfully my cousin owns the local prop shop.  Now, I never see him running stainless props.

It is not about lack of durability of stainless.  What the issue is, if you hit a rock or oyster bar with a stainless prop you can do significant damage to the lower unit of the outboard.  With an aluminum prop you usually will just damage the prop.

Repairing the prop is much less costly than repairing the lower unit.

If you are running into an oyster bar, you are too far inland! I once clipped a Bloody Mary bar, but fortunately, I was on foot! LOL!

I was thinking the same thing only I was at a Sushi Bar.

From my personal exsperience I have eaten many oyster bars with stainless props and have had zero problems with prop or lower unit. 30 years runnin on the forgotten coast

From my personal exsperience I have eaten many oyster bars with stainless props and have had zero problems with prop or lower unit. 30 years runnin on the forgotten coast
love the forgotten coast, unfortunately the last time we went to Cape San Blas it was actually getting more crowded with some bone heads there who piss off the deck of their rental next to ours. may have to look for a more secluded area as Cape was our favorite but as i said not as forgotten as it used to be. SMH.

the cape is still our favorite so we will keep going for a while, but hope it does not get any more attention as the best part is being remote without anyone close to you on the beach, or the sparse traffic etc...... and so close to apilachicola. nothing better than some beer and some of those fresh oysters to cap off your day.

Back