Steps/Ladders for elderly

Tish

Reaction score
I have an elderly mother who would like to be able to get on and off the beach from the pontoon. I have researched ladders a bit but haven't found anything I love.  I liked the ramp but have a tri-toon.  Anyone have any items that they have found that they like?

They make them  for a port side gate , or possibly they make a narrow one that would slide between your center and one of your out side  tubes .

https://www.handiramp.com/sidekickramp.htm

Aqua-510x510.jpg

sidekick3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look more for dock access. Getting to the beach would require a longer ramp. How about outfitting the boat with one of those cranes you see at resorts to get people in and out of the pool/hot tub?

Some company's will do a custom ramp 

I think an inflateable trampoline would be more fun.

What about a narrow ramp that would fold up long ways and slide in the smaller space due to the tri toon , or to balance the load a 2 piece that was just wide enough to slide up 1 on each side?

One of those ramps on the back of a U-Haul is what would work the best. It could be stored between the toons or be centered on a non triton boat.

My dock ramp is a Werener ladder aluminum scaffold plank with a handrail kit on one side. 16' long. There is a place in Chicago that I mail ordered it from.

They are mode in several widths and lengths. You would have to develop a way to hinge it.

I have been looking at using aluminum ramps like you would use to load something into the back of a pickup. They need to be solid so the feet want hang up or stumble. Several places have these but I like the set Harbor Freight has. They are fairly light weight and can be stored. I saw these used at the lake. The pontoon would pull with the bow to the bank and then lay these out to the shore. It worked very well when I saw it being used. We have an elderly Uncle that goes with us to the lake very often and he can't climb off the boat. I think this will work very well. It can be used as the single wide or combined to the double wide for more balance. I figure I can also get double use and load something in the truck if needed.

Here is the link to what I am looking at:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html

The Harbor Freight ramp is a good Idea but the angle of ascentwould be steep enough that if she ws able to do that she would probably be able to do the ladder which would store more easily and be able to bring with you.  Otherwise i think the 16' ramp that guardrail is discussing might work.  if this is yoyur property a custom built wooden ramp might be the most cost effective and could install permaneltly

I picked up a motorcycle ramp to make getting on and off on the beach easier while camping. I was very particular about getting one that had a nice surface to walk on even in bare feet and that it would fold in half for easier storage. I've been very happy with it and couldn't imagine leaving it at home. We have some heavy people moving on and off the boat constantly for 5 day trips with this and it's still as solid as the day we bought it. We bought this one from Amazon but you can also get it direct from discountramps.com. 

pontoon-ramp-2.jpg

That was on my first boat but it also works great on the tritoon. Maybe even  better since you can attach the safety strap to the top of the middle toon to keep it in place. 

escalante-arm-3.jpg

IMG_1917.JPG

Nice suggestion, Nick. If I had a human or canine to load, this would be it. Thanks for the tip.

Update: unfortunately, NLA from Amazon, but further research may uncover one.

Where do you store that Nick?

I keep it in the center toon but it would also fit under a lounger. It also just ends up folded in half and laying down the middle now and then. It's aluminum so it's very lightweight and easy to deal with. 

It looks like they don't have it on discountramps.com now either, but they have one that's identical to it except with a different walking surface. I think I might actually prefer the one they have now because it would do a better job of shedding sand from feet but it still looks bare foot and dog friendly. Link: http://www.discountramps.com/motocross-ramp/p/AFP-9012/

Seems like it would be good to dip each end in some plasti-dip to keep it from dinging up the inside of your boat...

plasti1.jpg

One could make a short 3-4 rung ladder out of 2x4s.  Put one rung at the very end to keep the bottom of the ladder from digging into the sand.  Keep it narrow (wide enough to fit just one foot on a rung).  8 inches wide might be enough.  Don't make it as long as the ramp, maybe just long enough so it leans up against the bow at 45 degrees or so...  Much like a normal ladder.

Or buy a single tall step stool.

A shallow bucket (or tray) of water wide enough to fit your entire foot in would be nice to rinse sand off as you step onto the boat.  Last one in dumps the bucket out.

By the way, I do like the idea of clamping/tying it into the center toon eyelet for safety.

Seems like it would be good to dip each end in some plasti-dip to keep it from dinging up the inside of your boat...
Not a bad idea. We always have a runner up there so we just pull it over the edge and it keeps it from doing any damage, but that would even be good in addition.

By the way, I do like the idea of clamping/tying it into the center toon eyelet for safety.
That ramp I bought came with a cam strap that would be perfect for tying to the center toon, but we've never used it. Part of me is hesitant to attach it because if the boat gets moved around in a storm I want it to just fall off, not somehow get wedged in there. 

Another benefit of the ramp vs. ladder is that it bridges the gap between wet sand/mud and dry ground so you don't have to worry as much about dirt coming in. Some of the shoreline I've beached on has been nasty and this makes it possible to avoid it all. 

One downside of course is that it's a little narrow, but I think it's fine for most. Someone who doesn't get around well might benefit from a hand getting on and off. But out of many, many nights of having drunk people walk up and down our ramp, we've only had one go down and he still managed to save most of his drink. 

starvation-reservoir-16.1.JPG

All those great photos you've posted over the months and you never thought to post THAT picture???  That would be the first one I'd post.  But, all my other photos of our lake pretty much suck.

The dogs look ready to eat anyone that dies falling off the boat.  And a shovel to get rid of the rest of the remains...

Back