Storage Warning/Lesson Learned

Awesome. Hope you're back on the water soon.

Not that's how it should be done! Great dealer.

Good to hear you will be back in the water for the long weekend

Excellent news !!

Good news for sure!

I have seen this before.

Note in the picture (post #16) how the keel does not extend all of the way past the radius of the tube end cap.

This creates a vulnerable "crumple zone". I have seen tube damaged simply because the rear of the tubes touched down before the front when lowering trailer.

This shouldn't ever happen if the keel is proper length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to my Service and Sales Managers yesterday.  They both seem to think that the crack is not too bad and is right on the seam so welding it will not be a problem.  They are going to get it in the shop early next week for repair and deliver it to my dock prior to the holiday weekend.  Whew!  After asking if I'm gonna be on the hook for this, the Sales Manager said "Absolutely not.  You stored it exactly how we recommended and have been storing pontoons forever."  He went to say that they have had this issue with a few of the heavier ESP tritoons lately.  They no longer recommend storing them on wood or cinder blocks but instead foam blocks.  There you have it.  I thought that was a lot of weight to be storing on four points, strong weld seams or not.  Long story short, I'm gonna come up with a better plan when storing it next Winter.  Let this be a lesson to us all.  I am so relieved that they are ponying up on this and giving me priority for repair!     
55013-2.jpg

I am so glad you have a dealer that goes out of his way to please his customers

That is all I could hope for 

But 

Well You Know 

LOL

spinning_smiley_3.gif

Wow, I was planning to change my lift from 2-2"X8" almost vertical board each about 30 degrees inward on each pontoon to 2-2"X8" flat.  Each pontoon would sit entirely on the flat 2-2"X8" board side by side.  I needed a little extra room to get out of the lift when the lake drops a little.  I have the brackets made and was planning to do the swap next week.

Each pontoon would be fully supported from front to back. Do you think this is an acceptable way to lift the boat?    

This is how ours has been for 8 years. Not a problem.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

I noticed the same thing when I took that pic (the keel stops just before the end cap). Go figure, putting blocks under that uneven weight distribution resulted in crumpling. I am still considering a lift and also mulled over the same question of flat boards supporting all 3 toons. Based on the fact that so many have done it that way and haven't had a problem and a great deal of the weight of the boat is distributed along THE WHOLE keel, I can't imagine it would be a problem. I'm a little surprised the dealer is chalking this up to being their fault for recommending it be stored that way rather than going back to Bennington and pointing out the design flaw of the keel/weld seam. However, I'm just happy to be taken care of regardless.

Thanks cwag911,

Those pictures make me feel a lot better.  I don't have a center tube, I plan on putting 2 board side by side just in case I am off a little.  I had the brackets custom made and galvanized.  Just waiting on the water to warm up a little.

Carl

I love your lift

It never ends ... the to do list 

!B2YE3ZgEGk~%24(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMiQqnGj(Q~~_35.JPG
My mom grew up in Pittsburgh (her generation is all gone now) and I still have cousins there. Growing up MANY years ago, my family spent summer vacations there and visited Kennywood park numerous times. Funny to see your picture - I hadn't thought about that for a long time.

My mom grew up in Pittsburgh (her generation is all gone now) and I still have cousins there. Growing up MANY years ago, my family spent summer vacations there and visited Kennywood park numerous times. Funny to see your picture - I hadn't thought about that for a long time.
Sorry for the delay in replying

I will tell you this 

Kennywood is amazing, a true must see for all who come to Pittsburgh

I hope you get a chance to visit again in the near future 

kennywood2_carstenanderson.jpg

Also noticed your pic of Duquesne incline. Rode that a few times also. My grandparents lived not far from there - I think on Sloan St. Near the river. I remember walking Chartiers Ave or along railroad tracks to my aunt & uncles house in McKees Rocks. Quite a while ago.

You probably remember the flea market at the Shopping Center in the 70's 

My Aunt lived in McKees Rocks it was a weekend thing then lunch at the Eat-n-Park 

mural-pittsburgh-mckees-rocks-bottoms-sto-rocks-high-school-1.jpg

Never got there but still have cousins in McKees Rocks who I see and email with. We usually meet with other cousins outside Cleveland.

Back