Surprising Warranty response from Bennington re rust???

dannyleininger

Reaction score
We have all benefitted from Benningtons Bow to Stern 10 Year Warranty. So when my dealer submitted a Warranty Request I was greatly surprised when they denied my claim.

My Port Aft Rub Rail is apparently rusting underneath the tape. Being this part is Anodized Aluminum this shouldn’t happen. In the picture below you can see the the two ”Blisters” and the Rust staining.

D547FAA5-CFC6-45E4-8915-38EFF03882AF.jpeg

The Service Manager agreed that this must have been a manufacturing defect as the Anodized Aluminum doesn’t rust unless there was some damage during the assembly.

The other bothersome issue seems to be the tightening of Warranty Claims by the new owners of Bennington. Hopefully this isn’t really happening. Bennington‘s reputation has been so unbelievably good historically.

Anyone else facing denials of what should reasonably be warrantied???

Here is Benningtons reply:

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 8:29 AM
Subject: RE: Rail rust 2018 22SSXAPG ETWF5866A818
To: Ridgeline Boating

Good morning Abby,
Corrosion is not covered under warranty.
It looks like the non skid tape need replaced though.
004918 TAPE, NON-SKID, 1-7/8" X 150' 149484-01, SILVER

Bennington Pontoons
Regional Customer Service Representative

Territory: North Eastern United States & Florida Peninsula

I'd cut / peel back the tape and see what's going on underneath. Al doesn't rust so it might be a steel fastener holding the rub rail to a structural element underneath or into the deck that is failing.

Regardless check your warranty docs to confirm that the failure is not covered and potentially appeal the decision to a supervisor.

Last edited:
This is a problem that I would not be happy about. Obviously, the boat hasn’t had any impact or anything like that. It should be covered. I bought my Bennington because of their great warranty and reputation. I agree. I hope this isn’t a sign of the future.

My new 23 LSB came in with the center toon dented both in the rear and in the front just aft of the nose cone. Dealer had to go back and forth with Bennington for the claim to be approved...then wait since spring to get a new center toon. Just came in and the Boat is at the dealer now waiting to get the center toon replaced. Hope it goes well.

How sure are you it’s rust. They’re some complaints with a brown color coming through the carpet leaving a stain. Need to look at it closer could be a bolt that’s rusted holding the rail to platform. The rail shouldn’t rust. I’d also get In touch with the person or department that denied it find out why rust isn’t covered.

I have heard a lot of cases in all brands where the glue/adhesive used in the installation is bleeding through the flooring material and may look like rust. Did Bennington do a complete inspection prior to denying your claim Danny to make sure it was corrosion?!? Curious.

UPDATE: I cut away the covering and was quite surprised at what I saw. There was a white crystal like material under the covering. At first I thought it was Salt, but it had no taste. There was a considerable amount of this stuff considering how little the corroded area was. See the two photos. Any suggestions???

30C36E30-4AD8-4B85-88E9-9EEFF86CCD57.jpeg

0C417450-F854-4166-A2B7-389466C0440A.jpeg

Again I am at a loss. Could it be some form of electrolysis ???

How sure are you it’s rust. They’re some complaints with a brown color coming through the carpet leaving a stain. Need to look at it closer could be a bolt that’s rusted holding the rail to platform. The rail shouldn’t rust. I’d also get In touch with the person or department that denied it find out why rust isn’t covered.

I believe you are correct. Obviously looking at the above photos it is not rust. So the next assumption is that the discoloration would be from the glue.

I’m thinking about just cleaning this area up and dab a small amount of paint over the corroded areas and them apply new tape.

I agree ,let Bennington / your dealer install the new tape . They have to clean it to get the tape to stick.

What is under the crust? A screw or bolt?

Could be galvanic corrosion if there is a dissimilar metal present. You can clean and re-tape but it potentially will return if that's what's going on.

What is under the crust? A screw or bolt?

Could be galvanic corrosion if there is a dissimilar metal present. You can clean and re-tape but it potentially will return if that's what's going on.
I have a Wave Tamer so I can’t actually see what’s under the rail. But looking at the front rail there are no fasteners on either corner.

Back