Tell Your Story

With 2017 on the Horizon

And winter in full swing

Lets hear from our new members

Take some time and share your story with Your Bennington Family

1581564538428.png

Last edited:
I love everyone's stories!  Like many others, mine is a bit of a "Circle of Life' story.  My grandparents had a cottage on a lake when I was growing up.  Those are some of my best memories as a kid - boating, fishing, swimming, skiing, tubing, etc...  

Over the years, my wife and I have worked hard, saved and planned well, and we were able to buy a ski chalet in Northern Michigan back in 2001.  It wasn't directly on the water, but it was still great! It was what we could afford at the time to build memories with our kids, as well as enjoy time with our extended families and our friends.  Being in Northern Michigan, we were a stone's throw from a dozen lakes, and we were located at a ski resort.  Plenty of fun things to do all year round.  We have many great memories from those days!

We sold that cottage nearly two years ago with an eye towards getting 4 kids through college (2 are currently in college with two more to go, and its a bit expensive - :eek: ), as well as with the goal of some day having a lakehouse in retirement (my dream - but also too darn expensive -  ;) ).

Last year my dad and step-mom were killed in a motorcycle accident in Florida going into their second year in retirement together.  Long story short, the entire process (their accident and deaths, managing their two estates as their personal reps, etc...) has given me some new outlooks on life. It has reminded me that although it is healthy and prudent to plan and prepare for the future, that future isn't guaranteed.

As a result, we have gotten a new cottage sooner than we had planned - this time on a lake.  Being directly on the water is the culmination of a life long dream for me.  We have also ordered our first ever boat: a Bennington tritoon - a 2017 SSBXP.  My goal is relaxing and playing on the water, all the while making more family memories at our new cottage.

Our new Bennington will be a very big part of those memories!  We have family and friends lined up to spend some time with us up north at our cottage this summer.  Just as I grew up with fond memories of my grandparents lake front cottage, I am hopeful our kids will have lasting memories (both of our old ski cottage, as well as future memories at our new lakefront cottage).  Some day we hope to pass along such memories and experiences to our future grandkids.

That's my "Circle of Life" story, and how my wife and I have recently ended up on the water.  Our only current problem is the water is frozen (darn you Michigan), and the boat is on order.  Summer 2017 cannot get here soon enough for this family of six!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love everyone's stories!  Like many others, mine is a bit of a "Circle of Life' story.  My grandparents had a cottage on a lake when I was growing up.  Those are some of my best memories as a kid - boating, fishing, swimming, skiing, tubing, etc...  

Over the years, my wife and I have worked hard, saved and planned well, and we were able to buy a ski chalet in Northern Michigan back in 2001.  It wasn't directly on the water, but it was still great! It was what we could afford at the time to build memories with our kids, as well as enjoy time with our extended families and our friends.  Being in Northern Michigan, we were a stone's throw from a dozen lakes, and we were located at a ski resort.  Plenty of fun things to do all year round.  We have many great memories from those days!

We sold that cottage nearly two years ago with an eye towards getting 4 kids through college (2 are currently in college with two more to go, and its a bit expensive - :eek: ), as well as with the goal of some day having a lakehouse in retirement (my dream - but also too darn expensive -  ;) ).

Last year my dad and step-mom were killed in a motorcycle accident in Florida going into their second year in retirement together.  Long story short, the entire process (their accident and deaths, managing their two estates as their personal reps, etc...) has given me some new outlooks on life. It has reminded me that although it is healthy and prudent to plan and prepare for the future, that future isn't guaranteed.

As a result, we have gotten a new cottage sooner than we had planned - this time on a lake.  Being directly on the water is the culmination of a life long dream for me.  We have also ordered our first ever boat: a Bennington tritoon - a 2017 SSBXP.  My goal is relaxing and playing on the water, all the while making more family memories at our new cottage.

Our new Bennington will be a very big part of those memories!  We have family and friends lined up to spend some time with us up north at our cottage this summer.  Just as I grew up with fond memories of my grandparents lake front cottage, I am hopeful our kids will have lasting memories (both of our old ski cottage, as well as future memories at our new lakefront cottage).  Some day we hope to pass along such memories and experiences to our future grandkids.

That's my "Circle of Life" story, and how my wife and I have recently ended up on the water.  Our only current problem is the water is frozen (darn you Michigan), and the boat is on order.  Summer 2017 cannot get here soon enough for this family of six!

Sorry to here about the accident. But you hear stories about these things all the time.Our family has had to deal with the illness taking parents early,therefore our kids never had a chance to enjoy the grand parents. So we decided not to wait for a beach house. And 14 yrs later,we know that we may not be as set for retirement as some friends,BUT our kids and friends have many memories of Ocean City Md.. My wife and I wouldn't change a thing! Retirement is overrated in my book. I believe in no regrets !!!!!

Sorry you hear about the loss of your dad and step mom J. Tomorrow is never guaranteed that's for sure. I personally guarantee you will have a million memories made at the new cottage. Congrats on being responsible and putting others needs before your wants. It has paid off.

Born and raised in the Columbus suburbs.  I remember fishing a lot with my father and brothers, we never had a boat.  My mothers dad was in Scotland and he had a fishing boat on a loch, I never got over there to meet him.  I have three older brothers, at some point they all had fishing boats, I bought my first about 8 years ago, V-hull.  I suppose its in our blood.  I now battle (plead) with my wife and daughter whether to camp or boat, sometimes its both.  I know I will boat til my dying days, I'm done with camping, they're not.  Boating attitudes have improved with the Benny, they began to hate the v-hull.  Now, if I can get them to appreciate lake front cabins or lodges in lieu of camping.  Gotta run... need to check Craigslist for a new camper. :wacko:     

J..

I am so sorry to hear of the accident, I am sure you and your family will make a million memories on your new Benny.

I have always said

"If you are lucky enough to live on the water you are lucky enough"

Matt B ,

My wife and I enjoy camping in Hampton Inns throughout the country on a routine basis :)

retired1cl.jpg

Life is cruel, I have watched soo many people plan for their perfect retirement. They planned to travel, planned to relax and planned to enjoy. Unfortunately plans are easier made than to accomplish.

Tomorrow is never guaranteed for any of us, live within your means and enjoy each and every day as if it is your last because one day it will be

1581564604168.png

"Lake Living Is Living At It's Best"

Last edited:
As long as I can remember when  growing up there was always a boat. I grew up in northwest Colorado so a lot of our boating was done on high altitude lakes and was primarily fishing. My family started going to Lake  Powell when I was about twelve and that's when my love of boating and water sports began. My Parents and extended family would rent a 50' houseboat and we would take the runabouts out for a week each summer.  We also had a small reservoir a few miles from our house in Hayden Colorado that we would take the boat to after work in the summer to get some skiing done before dark. I didn't realize how this would end up being a life long love. After meeting my wife and finishing college my wife and I ended up in Boulder City, NV where my parents had retired. Of course they still had a boat and we spent a lot of time on Lake Mead with them. We than moved to the St Louis Mo area for my work and we were without a boat for years. After my Mom passed away my Dad ended up moving to MO to be near us and of course the boat ended up here to. To make a long story shorter we introduced my young family to the world of boating and have been back on the water for around 17 years. As my kids started having kids we decided we needed a place at the lake big enough for a large crowd and bought our first lake house. So far interest in being on the water is as strong with my children as it was for me. Even though we as a family have done many things, camping, snow skiing, etc, being on the lake is always an easy plan to make even for our busy young families. It's just the perfect way to relax and enjoy being with those you love. 

PS: even though my kids are all adults they still act like kids competing with one another on the knee board, surf board, or skiing. The grandkids are already into the fun as well.

CapKaz 

Sounds like you and your family are living the dream , you being able to pass on those experiences you had to your grandchildren is a huge reward. I am looking forward to passing the lifestyle and Lake Home down to future generations. Once you live on a Lake , living anywhere else is never the same.  You had an amazing childhood and are extremely fortunate to pass those experiences on, enjoy and be sure to show plenty of pics 

131636604.jpg

123640642.jpg

My family was always into the water.  I was born in the Chicago area and my Dad's side of the family had a cottage in lower Michigan about three hours from the City.  We took many vacations there with the 1964 Mark Twain Merc Cruiser. My Mom's side of the family was also enjoyed the water.   I have fond memories traveling and being on the lake of the Ozarks with my grandfather and my family.  I learned to water ski when I was 5 years old and my brothers and sister were all in water skis by the age of 5. In 1976 we visited some friends of the family in  southern Wisconsin who live on a lake. My Mom fell in love with it and my Dad did also so in 1976 they purchased a lake front home in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin. I was 11 at the time and for the next 12 years it was like living at a resort during the summer time. Those high school and college years with the  lake were incredibly fun. The parents had to sell the lake place in 1987 as my mom was fairly ill at the time and needed a kidney transplant. We kept the pontoon boat and had slipped still on the same lake in Wisconsin. It was a short drive from Northern Illinois to have a great day on the lake. My brother put his own pontoon on the lake also. I usually just joined either my Dad or my brother on his. I moved away for work in the late 90's but always looked forward to getting home for some lake time. Ended up moving several times and landed in Kansas City, MO.  I met my wife in 2005 and she had some lake view property and she said she was looking for someone with a boat :D . We were the perfect match! She loved the water I loved the water so I purchased my first Bennington  back in 2006. We have built a real nice place there through additional land purchases with a 5 mile view of the lake.  This was getting back to my roots for me having the boat on the lake. We go down every weekend from March through September and it least once a month year round.  I inherited the same kidney disease that my mother had and received a Kidney Transplant in 2010.  At the age of 53,  I have lived longer than anyone in my family who was unfortunate enough to get the disease.  I have always been responsible financially  and like others of have said in their posts tomorrow is not promised to anyone.  My pads episode this past year was part of that understanding in making sure  i grab life and live while I can! There is no where that gives me serenity like being on a boat on the lake does.

What an amazing way to grow up and be able to enjoy again. Lake Living Gets In Your Blood. I can only dream of what it would of been like to be young and live a lifestyle which we all enjoy now. Life is short and it gets shorter with every breath we take, it is important to find the time to relax and enjoy life's daily miracles. I know longevity is never guaranteed and fortunately got out of the Rat Race very early. Now I look forward to every day on The Benny and enjoying the time I have with Family and Friends.

Thank You For Sharing

1581564767721.png

Last edited:
So here's my tale. I had been born into a family that came with a business. My dad was one of six who was born in the depression and all that came with. He worked from the time he was 9 till he was 67. And he worked hard and was very successful and managed to raise 3 kids and always took care of us. Because of his hardships growing up he was always money consience and taught us to be the same. I worked at my dad's business from the time I was 13 till I was 43. I also found a beautiful woman who changed my life, gave me a son and was always there for me. I grew up at the Jersey Shore so I've been around water my whole life but didn't have time for that. I was a racer growing up and whatever spare time I had went there. So for 25 years or so I worked 70-80 hours a week, tried to be a good dad and husband (didn't always work out) and rarely relaxed. In 2010 I sold my business that I had bought from my dad 15 years before and took a job for the first time in my life. Still worked 50-60 hours a week and more. After a long life of trying to get ahead I came home to no family one day. I had forgotten to take care of what mattered. In time and with alot of hard work and soul searching my wife and I got back together and decided to really give life a chance. We sold our house in Jersey, I quit my job and we moved to Florida to "retire". We took a couple of part time jobs at lowes and we're gonna love life. Unfortunately she passed away suddenly a few months later suddenly. I had lost my love and best friend after so much. But there is a plan in the universe. Just a few weeks before I had met someone from Jersey who would be my new boss at lowes. In some crazy way I believe my wife brought me to this place so that I could survive her loss. My new boss never let me or my son get too far down. She cooked dinner for us, would come and clean up for us guys and became a friend I desperately needed. After some time passed we started dating and now after 4 years we are truly soulmates. She has taught me soooo much about living and that's where the boat comes in. I had a cappy little v-hull as we would take her kids out and cruise around on. Well last year it broke down and I said no more.  This spring we saw a new 24 swingback at the boat store I pass everyday and stopped in. We came home with it after she said she would buy half of it. (HALF MINE) was ours. We were out the other nite with the kids watching the sunset on the Gulf and I can't believe I've been given this third chance at life. Sorry to take so long. Love, live and laugh every day.    And my favorite:  TODAY IS A GIFT.....THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT THE PRESENT 

Also a Jersey guy (Nutley) and my wife is a shore girl (Neptune). Great story.

No kidding. Our shop was in Neptune. Spent most of my life there. Miss Pete and Elda's :). Born and raised in Spring Lake. 

What was the name of the shop and what was it? Lived in Brielle in the 80's with wife #2 and in Pt Pleasant in the early 90's. Then Neptune with current wife and then to Jackson until 2006 when we moved to Lake Norman.

What was the name of the shop and what was it? Lived in Brielle in the 80's with wife #2 and in Pt Pleasant in the early 90's. Then Neptune with current wife and then to Jackson until 2006 when we moved to Lake Norman.

Pete La Vance auto repair on 35 and seventh ave. just into Neptune from Neptune city. Was across from Frank and Bettys toy store. My whole family is from the area. All went to Manasquan high

I grew up in Southern California and we lived very close to some great beaches. Newport, Laguna, Oceanside, Dana Point. And very close to the mountains so we camped a lot when I was little, fishing in lakes, creeks, rivers, etc. I also had my share of falling INTO them. My dad was an avid fisherman and diver and we spent so much time at the beach, going on fishing trips, that he finally decided to get his own boat, it would be cheaper! His first boat in 1986-ish was a 70's model 24' Bayliner cabin cruiser. I LOVED that thing. It was in a slip in Oceanside when we got it so finished out the year there. But he pulled it out after that and put it in dry storage at Dana Point. Then one day while out fishing in the middle of the ocean the engine blew. We were stranded, but a smaller Bayliner was able to tow us back in. He replaced the motor and after a few more trips out decided we couldn't afford the boat payment and the engine payment! I loved the water, loved the boat, partly because it was the only real place I got my dad to myself. My step mother couldn't swim so wouldn't come out of the bay. So Dad and I would fish.

After I got married, he got another boat, an 18' or so center console, since it was just him. He kept it a couple years, but because his wife wont go out on it, it didn't get used much so he sold it.

My first husband had no water interests. It was 10 years before I met my second husband and he had a boat when we met, but didn't like it, it was a 20ish foot Bayliner (open bow?) but didn't have any real room for fishing, it was more for cruising, so he never even took me out on it but sold it. We were in VA and the beaches were too far and just not the same as CA so there weren't a lot of water sports going on, except some small lake or pond fishing. When we moved to Texas and found how many lakes are so close, we did some fishing, my husband bought a 17' bass boat, but it wasn't that enjoyable. No room to walk, no cooler, no dogs. Also not too sturdy for him with his broken foot with all the metal plates in it! He started talking about pontoons and we started looking. I had never been on one, so we rented one with the (grown) kids and spent a day out on one and loved it. My husband still cant believe I am THIS excited about the boat. I am wife #3, longest and last one, and #2 wouldn't have anything to do with it, so he is very happy.

His dad had a small sail boat and he hates them. Says they are too much work and not enough room.

I have been talking to my dad about the boat purchase and now he is looking at moving to Texas and buying a new boat.

Last edited:
My wife and I are 3rd time's the charmers also.

My wife and I are 3rd time's the charmers also.
He attributes the success of our marriage to the fact that I picked him, he didn't pick me.

Back