Test Drove 2006 2575 RLX, Need Feedback

jman

Reaction score
Hello all.

Coming out of a 2000 Harris 240 Euro. The current boat is 24' with a very reliable Johnson 2 stroke motor on the back. I reach speeds of 27 MPH (gps) even when pulling two kids on a tube and with 2 on the boat. I am looking to upgrade so i had a nice look at a 2006 Bennington 2575 with a Yahmaha 115 4 stroke. 

First off the boat is very nice. The fit and finish of the Bennington is exceptional. All was going well until the test drive. First the boat sits lower in the water than my Harris even though they are the same length and have the same diameter logs (25 inches). I realize that the 4 stroke on the Bennington weighs a bit more than my 2 stroke motor but it still seems to ride low in the water with the 4 people we had on board.

Secondly the top speed was only about 20 mph (bimini up) turning at just under 6000 rpm. The seller is the original owner and he runs the original 13 1/2 X 15 three blade prop. The motor seemed to cavitate quite a bit as well. The boat has been stored for the past three years and only has 82 hours on it according to the meter. The boat has been very well taken care of. The motor, while quieter than my 2 stroke, seemed to labor. The boat seemed to push more than my Harris which, although it has no lifting strakes, does seem to get up on top of the water more. In addition the Bennington seemed fairly unresponsive when compared to my current boat. If i accelerate quickly with my current ride you need to warn those on board to sit down. With the Bennington today it really took a while to get going.

I love the boat otherwise and am trying to figure out if the motor needs adjusting of perhaps a new prop.

Any thought are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie and Jamie

Welcome to the forum. I don't know what motor you have on your Harris (hp) but I can tell you that the Bennington Is a lot heavier. A 115 on  25' Benny is not enough, especially if it's a 2 log boat and no strakes. Unless you just want to cruise around your lake at 20 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. I don't know what motor you have on your Harris (hp) but I can tell you that the Bennington Is a lot heavier. A 115 on  25' Benny is not enough, especially if it's a 2 log boat and no strakes. Unless you just want to cruise around your lake at 20 mph.
20mph isn't cruising, it's breakneck bugs on your teeth speed

Thanks for the quick reply.

My current boat has a 115hp 2 stroke and weighs 2450lbs. The Bennington I drove, with the same HP motor, weighs in at 2200lbs. Not sure why the speed difference. 

You're in a dilemma. 

If you had a set of stakes added to the Benny, I bet it'd be like a different boat.  You might also be a prop away from much improved performance, with the Reliance stainless props being Yamaha's best.  Or, Mercury's Enertia is a great pontoon prop. 

The under deck aluminum sheeting is also another worthwhile addition if it's currently without it.

I always suggest someone purchasing any outboard boat have the engine scanned and checked out completely by a good marine mechanic.  That means draining the lower unit grease looking for water intrusion and having a vacuum and pressure test performed.  The engine may need a set of plugs at 82 hrs.

The 4 stroke 115 hp motors are very economical on gasoline, however there's a big performance difference between it and a 150 hp motor on a boat with strakes.

You're in a dilemma. 

If you had a set of stakes added to the Benny, I bet it'd be like a different boat.  You might also be a prop away from much improved performance, with the Reliance stainless props being Yamaha's best.  Or, Mercury's Enertia is a great pontoon prop. 

The under deck aluminum sheeting is also another worthwhile addition if it's currently without it.

I always suggest someone purchasing any outboard boat have the engine scanned and checked out completely by a good marine mechanic.  That means draining the lower unit grease looking for water intrusion and having a vacuum and pressure test performed.  The engine may need a set of plugs at 82 hrs.

The 4 stroke 115 hp motors are very economical on gasoline, however there's a big performance difference between it and a 150 hp motor on a boat with strakes.
Adding the strakes may be worth the investment long term. I am going to call the marina/dealer that sold the boat originally and see if they are still setting similar boats up in the same manner. I like the idea of having the engine inspected, if I am lucky there is some minor issue that needs tweeking. It was sitting, according to the owner, for 3 years.

Any idea how difficult and expensive adding the strakes is? Can I order them from Bennington?

Thanks again for the feedback and the welcome to the forum.

Strakes can be ordered from Bennington, however I don't know how much they run.  They have a bow to them, and are not just a piece of angle aluminum.

A high quality welder would be preferred to install them, however.   I don't know of any dealership that has a certified TIG welder working in the service department.

Strakes can be ordered from Bennington, however I don't know how much they run.  They have a bow to them, and are not just a piece of angle aluminum.

A high quality welder would be preferred to install them, however.   I don't know of any dealership that has a certified TIG welder working in the service department.
Seems like a long way to go. After some more reading I now realize that the boat has non solid keels. At least that is what I think after looking at them.....they run the length of the logs but are just welded on in spots. That is to say it looks like water gets in the keel in between the keel and the log. I assume this is not a great idea for salt water, which is where my boat will be used and docked.

Solid keels and solid lifting strakes I guess would be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Just talked to the original dealer.

All of the keels are welded in the same manor, he said no big deal. He suggested a 4 blade prop or move to an etec 130 to get the hole shot and higher top end. The latter may be the way to go as I really like the layout of this boat.

Without lifting strakes, more horsepower gives you a bigger wake with little speed increase. AMHIK.  Your dealer is blowing smoke.  I continue to be amazed that some dealers don't know their products. Their mindset must be "the boat is pretty and the customers are idiots.  I don't have to know my products and those crazy questions people ask are a pain in the ass" 

Don't forget about zincs also. 

I agree with Bruce, no strakes, no speed.

I think you are right although I am still confused about the 7 mhp between my Harris and the Benny. That being said, I think it's a long, potentially expensive, way to go to get what I want. We LOVE the floorplan but may have to sacrifice layout for performance.

I am looking at used boats with elipticals and strakes now. I have found a 2008 22ft. with an etec 150 (no trailer/G series) for about 20K and a 2011 2575 R series with 150 etec and trailer for about $37K.

I am also looking at 2006 tritoon with a 150 Yahmaha 25 ft. R series. Loaded with trailer/2 batteries, etc. 

Only the the 22ft. G series has the vinyl floor that we really want.

I know I could order a new boat and have it all but it's a bit of a stretch for us right now.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Jamie

I've got that same boat, same motor, same prop size/pitch.  I get maybe 22 mph top speed if i'm going downwind, just me on board, and low on fuel.  Load up people and fill the gas tank and it's closer to 20.  I thought about strakes too but if I want to go fast we get in the ski boat :) .  Other than the speed, which could be improved, I love the boat.  

Back