Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

Unable to compute. missing inputs... ;)
we need to know more about which 22'? how many logs, what pacakage (SPS, ESP, etc.) how many folks are you generally taking out. what are your intended uses (fishing? watersports, daytripping, etc.) where are you boating(offshore, inshore, lakes, what lake)...

give some help and you'll get some better answers.

as written, 9.9 is enough.... :rolleyes:
and a 22' with any toon config won't hit 40+ with a 150

Now whether you believe these numbers or not, they are published on Yamaha's and others performance bulletins websites.

21 SLX with a overall length of 22', top end is 41.4mph per Yamaha's test page. SPS toon package.

2274 GLI with a overall length of 22'6" top end is 40.9mph per Yamaha's test page. Twin 32" elips with strakes.

23RSB with a overall length of 25'3" (granted it was a 200hp) and top end was 41.5mph but its a 25 foot boat.
file:///C:/Users/xzzgb3/Downloads/1202-G2-200HP-Bennington-R23-RSFB.pdf

Sweetwater (not a Benny, but at 24'11 inches LOA ) with a Yamaha 150hp had a top end of 40.7mph (triple 25" tubes)

Avalon 2485 (not a Benny, but at 24 ' LOA ) with a 135hp Evinrude HO has a top end of 38mph (HO motor being key here)
file:///C:/Users/xzzgb3/Downloads/1056-G1-E-TEC-135-HO-Avalon-2485-Cruise.pdf

Now this Tahoe performance bulletin, I would be very questionable of the results, but it seems its a copy / paste from a Mercury site of someplace
Tahoe LTZ 2485 (25 ' LOA) and running a 4 stroke Mercury 150hp hit 46mph.

So its very possible for a 22' pontoon to hit 40mph with a 150. Just depends on the boat model, weight, tube configuration, tube conditions, weather / wave conditions, etc.

Some of the "hopped up" motors like Merc's pro XS, Yamaha Vmax, Evinrude HO, consistently run on the high side of the allowed HP numbers of 10% above or below the stated HP from the manufacture and are closer to 165hp then the 150hp stated on the cowling. They offer higher operating RPM then standard 150's (Merc's pro XS is 5200-6000 rpm vs standard 150hp of 5000-5800rpm), along with carbon fiber reeds vs stainless steel, solid motor mounts, dome shaped pistons, better ECU mapping, better exhaust tuning, tuned intake intunators, and sometimes even different gear ratios in the lower unit, etc.

I've hit 40+mph on our 2275 RCW with twin 32" elliptical tubes, lifting strakes, waveshield, and light fuel and people in the boat. Is it the normal? Absolutely not. I usually never run with less then 1/2 fuel, 2 people, and no coolers / extra's in the boat. I'm usually in the 36-38mph range with a normal load and ideal sea / weather conditions.

In the second summer owning a 2022 24LXFBA and she has 250hours on her… I have only a couple of regrets.

1) not getting power assist steering was such a dumb move that I am going to have it installed aftermarket this year. 26’ boat LOA and a 200 absolutely needs power steering

2) the kicker sub and amp with tower speakers is not great, should have done the Roswell

3) much smaller issue, the corvina wheel would have been cool. The base wheel looks a little cheap in my opinion and for 500ish bucks I should have just done it

Advice I would give to people buying a Benny:

For 23ft+ you need at least 200. Anything under isn’t enough and anything over 300 is just for fun really

The SPS hull is all you need, ESP is overkill and expensive.

Pick the model that fits your budget and load it way up. You’ll be way happier than going up a model and cutting corners.

I am upgrading from my old Bennington to a 21LSB Swingback. Having it built so would welcome any suggestions before making my final selections. Family wants to be able to tube and water ski and mostly cruise the lake. Choices so far. SPS performance package with 150 HP Yamaha VMAX SHO 25 IN motor. Dual battery with distribution panel and master switch. Midnight black color with silver accent. Graphite seats with silver contrast. Black out package with heavy duty rub rails. Black mooring cover. Grano Shadow Grey flooring. Bimini Blue Ice LED lighting. Standard Kicker stereo KMC45 with the Blue Ice speakers. Ski tow bar. SS keeper rail for swingback. I am set on the length and model and I am ordering the biggest motor available. Any other suggestions?

B
I am upgrading from my old Bennington to a 21LSB Swingback. Having it built so would welcome any suggestions before making my final selections. Family wants to be able to tube and water ski and mostly cruise the lake. Choices so far. SPS performance package with 150 HP Yamaha VMAX SHO 25 IN motor. Dual battery with distribution panel and master switch. Midnight black color with silver accent. Graphite seats with silver contrast. Black out package with heavy duty rub rails. Black mooring cover. Grano Shadow Grey flooring. Bimini Blue Ice LED lighting. Standard Kicker stereo KMC45 with the Blue Ice speakers. Ski tow bar. SS keeper rail for swingback. I am set on the length and model and I am ordering the biggest motor available. Any other suggestions?
BB, she sounds great so far but I do have a couple of comments. I’d think twice about the Bimini lights. I think I’ve used ours once in six years. I’d also recommend adding the raised helm. It allows for better sight lines and has not been a tripping hazard as some have mentioned.

I disagree with Michigan about the Bimini lights. We have every light option and we love going out out at night with a boatload of neighbors on a slow cruise

I disagree with Michigan about the Bimini lights. We have every light option and we love going out out at night with a boatload of neighbors on a slow cruise
Absolutely if you actually do night time cruising. We do some a couple nights a year, but at least up here in Michigan, our mood lights typically draw unwanted bugs.

I bumped my original response to your other thread to keep this one more on topic,

Last edited:
Power steering! Especially for the water sports. You won't regret it.

And I second the opinion on bimini lights...we've never used ours

Just picked up my QSB 2575 yesterday. Chose to go with the Ivory Classic because I know from the last boat, the lighter the color fabric the less hot the seats get, plus easy to keep looking brand new. However, the Ivory Classic fabric used in (at least) the Q-series is not the soft vinyl, it's the new stuff they are putting in the boat that is not as soft and quite frankly looks cheaper although they say it's an upgrade and better (I guess we'll see if that's the case). I would have sacrificed the temperature for the soft vinyl interior even if I had to go with a darker color. Those ordering the Ivory Classic interior as your main color beware! If anyone else out there has any experience with the new style of fabric please leave some feedback with your experience with the fabric, what you use to clean it with (Bennington says to use just 10% soap and water) interested in your feedback.
We use what the manufacturer of the fabric material suggested and wash the seats with a soft bristle brush and very small amount of liquid ivory snow. Seats look great since 2017. One container will last a lifetime. Ivory snow.jpg

I am extremely happy with my updgraded bolster seat. Easy to flip up and stand in a second for a better view while docking or in tight piloting situations. Seat and bolster have not shown much wear or tear.

Depending on the extent of family tubing and skiing, a slightly larger motor would be ideal but that requires the 22 model, as I am sure you are aware of. Center storage we find is critical. Consider the dual captain chair, my wife LOVES having a comfy co-captain chair and with groups we always use the front - worth the small loss in storage. This allows the SB Plus - which folds flat and provides a MUCH longer "bed". The Pillow Top upgrade is dreamy. I greatly prefer the Bolster over the Raised Helm - like having less things to trip over/fall off....LOL. We use the boat regularly at night, so the Bimini LED's are a great option and suggest looking at the underwater lighting package and interior lights. Our lake is crazy hot, so the double Bimini is always up. Pop-up cleats. The best advice I got - Think first boat last!

Reminder. There is a different thread where this new member has requested feedback on their boat order. That thread is focused on that topic.

This discussion thread is wandering slightly off topic from this OP’s thread original purpose: Things I would change. Please provide input to Bobby Bass’s inquiry in the thread linked Below:

https://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/ordering-21lsb-swingback.14111/#post-179315

Depending on the extent of family tubing and skiing, a slightly larger motor would be ideal but that requires the 22 model, as I am sure you are aware of. Center storage we find is critical. Consider the dual captain chair, my wife LOVES having a comfy co-captain chair and with groups we always use the front - worth the small loss in storage. This allows the SB Plus - which folds flat and provides a MUCH longer "bed". The Pillow Top upgrade is dreamy. I greatly prefer the Bolster over the Raised Helm - like having less things to trip over/fall off....LOL. We use the boat regularly at night, so the Bimini LED's are a great option and suggest looking at the underwater lighting package and interior lights. Our lake is crazy hot, so the double Bimini is always up. Pop-up cleats. The best advice I got - Think first boat last!
+1 on the double bimini! Love the sun but ours is always up!

Back