Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

I have a 24 sslx with SPS and a yamaha F200 and it is a blast.

I have a 22 SSRXP SPS With a Yamaha F150 and am enjoying the hell out of it.

Since this topic came up recently I like to add that I regret not upgrading to a galvanized trailer this time around. I think it was only about an extra $400 or $500 to upgrade. Last year I towed the trailer literally one time on about 10 miles of a gravel road and now it's really chipped up. Some brands probably have better quality paint than others but I was told by the salesman how great the paint is on this brand (Phoenix) but it looks worse than my 12 year old utility trailer that has seen tons of gravel roads. I wish I would've sprang for the galvanized :(

Since this topic came up recently I like to add that I regret not upgrading to a galvanized trailer this time around. I think it was only about an extra $400 or $500 to upgrade. Last year I towed the trailer literally one time on about 10 miles of a gravel road and now it's really chipped up. Some brands probably have better quality paint than others but I was told by the salesman how great the paint is on this brand (Phoenix) but it looks worse than my 12 year old utility trailer that has seen tons of gravel roads. I wish I would've sprang for the galvanized :(
Same regret!! 2.5 year old trailer.....
upload_2019-6-20_19-24-11.jpeg

Like you said on the other thread, they probably didn’t prep the welds properly. Pretty disappointing I’d say.
Check out this garbage. Ten minutes on a gravel road one time. I have heavy duty mud flaps too. I couldn’t believe it.

2302763A-C217-4FF0-ABD2-572E1F77FF2D.jpeg

That's ridiculous!! Quality seems to be in short supply these days. Except for our Benny’s of course :D

I am 2 years into ownership and I spent about 3 months studying this forum before the order. I have a SX23 SPS and I have 2 regrets: Not getting a galvanized trailer and not choosing the Evinrude G2 250HO (largest motor I could legally have). I have the 150HO currently and it is a great motor but I would like more speed!

I did the SSRXP with a Yamaha 175. No regrets have not been at it long enough to have any ignorance is bliss. Might opt for the digital v. analog instruments.

This topic came to mind after reading another thread in which a new purchase morphed into a discussion about the size of the motor. I am not sure if this exists already, but I thought it would be a good spot for owners to communicate their regrets or mistakes when purchasing their boat. Thus it could serve as a more concise reference instead of having to scour through hundreds of threads. For example, I added the extra wide captains chair on my 2014 2350 RBR. I love the chair, but it narrowed the walkway between the chair and the bar counter enough that I wish I had gone with the normal sized chair.
Dealer talked me into the extra wide chair too, wish I would have gotten the regular tall chair.

My $.02:
- Get a TriToon (helps with overall stability and buoyancy). I am not a fan of how the 2-log boat sets in the water when there are a lot of people up front. Looks like it is nose-diving.
- Bigger the motor the better and not for speed or hot rodding. Bigger the motor = more quiet. We can debate this all day but a 4 cyl engine is more "buzzy" than a 6 cylinder, 6 more "buzzy" than a v8. Also, in general, the bigger motors run lower rpm. My 115 E-TEC runs 2K RPM at about 8-9 MPH. My buddies 300 HP Verado runs about 1,200 RMP at 10 mph. Big difference in noise. Yes, big difference in price from 115 to 200 or 300, etc. but worth it to invest the money in the motor.
- Get a raised Helm. The 3" or so increased height make a big difference so you can see over the bow passengers.
TK

.........and strongly consider electrically assisted Seastar hydraulic steering. The good thing is that it can be added later to any Benny with Seastar hydraulic already. Just a little expensive. My used 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 had it ordered from factory and it makes it so refined to drive. Fairly rare to come factory on a 150 hp boat. Kick in the butt to hard crank high speed turns with easy steering and SPS making outside toon lift and bank. Can't wait to "terrorize" a toy rider being towed. (maybe a little....lol) My 2013 22 SLX express tube F115 cable steering towed ok but took a lot of two arm energy plus extra throttle boost because of lower hp motor. If you let go of wheel, it would veer to starboard because of engine torque. The newer boat has rock solid steering that stays put if you let go. Night and day difference between boats. Would be great to have the maximum rated 200 hp but don't really need it on rivers and reservoirs around Oregon. Maybe in my young days speed was more of my draw but now cruising is plenty fun. Handling is almost more of a draw then a big top speed number. Thinking to my 1966 Chevelle SS 396 convertible high school car that had manual steering and 9" manual drum brakes. Looked great, had great power, but you had horrible handling and brakes. I had big eyes many times trying to get it to stop after racing someone. Now you can add aftermarket parts to fix all that.

Last edited:
Like you said on the other thread, they probably didn’t prep the welds properly. Pretty disappointing I’d say.
Check out this garbage. Ten minutes on a gravel road one time. I have heavy duty mud flaps too. I couldn’t believe it.

View attachment 25189
Now that damage is done, maybe have all damage areas prepped and coated with quality truck bed liner coating in black. Would be tough for next gravel road attack. If spend time taping straight transition lines, would look factory.

Interesting thread, thank you. I am considering buying a Bennington and so these comments are very helpful. I did post on another thread that I was wondering if having a 8 foot helm vs an 8 foot 6 inch helm, on 25 inch pontoons, makes much of a difference for stability on a 21 foot boat. Any input would be great!

...My used 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 had it ordered from factory and it makes it so refined to drive. Fairly rare to come factory on a 150 hp boat.

I don’t think that’s rare at all. Maybe its a regional thing. Everyone I ever talk to in Michigan suggests the power assist steering for anything 150HP and up. I don’t know anyone near me with a 150 and up on a tritoon without it.

That said, 100% agree with the benefits and utility of having it put on a boat. All the better to do it when you order the boat so it falls under the 10 year warranty. It can be added later as mentioned, but then it doesn’t get the benefit of the warranty.

Great point on the 10 year warranty!

I regret not getting a bigger engine. I got a big heavy boat with moderate power, but when I fill it up with people, I can't pull a tube :(

Also would have probably gone with seagrass over the carpet, but time will tell how that seagrass holds up.
What size boat and engine if I may ask?

What size boat and engine if I may ask?

Kells hasn't been on the forum for a few years, but I was able to find out from some further digging:

2013 QCL 2550 with a Yamaha F150.

Just picked up my QSB 2575 yesterday. Chose to go with the Ivory Classic because I know from the last boat, the lighter the color fabric the less hot the seats get, plus easy to keep looking brand new. However, the Ivory Classic fabric used in (at least) the Q-series is not the soft vinyl, it's the new stuff they are putting in the boat that is not as soft and quite frankly looks cheaper although they say it's an upgrade and better (I guess we'll see if that's the case). I would have sacrificed the temperature for the soft vinyl interior even if I had to go with a darker color. Those ordering the Ivory Classic interior as your main color beware! If anyone else out there has any experience with the new style of fabric please leave some feedback with your experience with the fabric, what you use to clean it with (Bennington says to use just 10% soap and water) interested in your feedback.
If you are talking about the Simtex we love it and even had some wicker deck furniture recovered with same.

2 regrets.

1.) should have sprung for a lift year one.

2.) I sold her...:(

2 1/2... I I were to spec out a boat today, I'd probably get a Verado over a SHO
Why the Verado over Yama VMax SHO ?

I was warned that I would regret not checking the box for electric assist steering on my 21' with SPS/150.

So, I did it. It evidently has not yet been done on a 21 footer.

Turns out to be a lot of cabbage. $2200 worth.
I was regretting not getting power steering on my brand new boat, not that might the hydraulic but thought power might be better. Was thinking about adding it but maybe not worth the hassle? Does anyone know what it would cost to add it? Could I DIY?

Last edited:
Back