This pontoon isn't a pontoon it's a sub

Yes perhaps but I guess when a person is so exited of is new boat, He/She might overlook things. It's such a wonderful boat just want things made right.

I wasn't referring to you ,the dealer had to have known .
Yes perhaps but I guess when a person is so exited of is new boat, He/She might overlook things. It's such a wonderful boat just want things made right.

yes you are absolutely right
I can only hope that things are made right that's all

You can clearly see the impact point on the trailing end of the keel strip. There is no doubt in my mind this was dropped. Hopefully they do you right. I would do a more thorough review of the whole boat too.

yes thanks there is absolutely no way that one can consider that pontoon as hit a rock ect… you can see the point of impact in that strip of metal.

Just out of curiosity ,were there any hours logged on it ?

it was brand new. It was a show peace. total time used by us +/- 20 min - 30 min

Right on the back and bottom of the crescent shaped rib you can see where it was dropped onto pavement. It would be near impossible to strike the pontoon on any underwater hazard going in ANY direction and causing damage like that.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert but I play one on the Internet.

you are absolutely right and that is the argument that I have. you would never have had that done by running into rock, or anything like it. Just that little spot that made contact to the pavement is even and can easily noticeable.

What has the dealer said?? This clearly didn't leave Elkhart Indiana like that.

no it's not in Indiana. He said that he was to weld it and give 10 years warranty on the weld. I believe that he should just replace the pontoon. In the event that I would sale this pontoon, the potential buyer or dealership would question that and would never give me top dollar.

It definitely looks like the dealers error. Trailering or possibly bottomed the pontoon while backing in in the water at the launch site. I've seen some pretty nasty launch sites

no defiantly not launch site. It's a very nice one. I wish I had picture of the ramp but it's a really nice one. backed it up like any other time with my other boat...…. Like I said, It was a show boat that would be in display such places like a shopping center etc.

To my eye that was dropped. No signs of scratches running with the length of the pontoon to hint at an impact with an obstacle or rock etc. or backing into something. The impact had to be from the boat coming straight down. Possibly a.strap breaking as they were lifting it? With damage like that I'd be going for a new pontoon and nothing less. I have no doubt the dealer knew and it wasn't mentioned since you didn't notice. And yes , it is very easy to overlook things like that when you are looking at something new with all the excitement. In the meantime though that could be patched and used til they get you a new one and you can at least enjoy the boat.

Exactly that is all I want. Because as all boater know, summer comes and goes very quickly. I want to enjoy it that's it that's all.

That was most definitely dropped. Unfortunately I have experience with this.

You cannot predict whether the structural integrity of that pontoon has been compromised - especially along that end cap weld. The shock that that pontoon took would have resonated along the length of at least the rear compartment - including the internal bulkhead.

There's also the hydrodynamics question - there's a reason they design them to be ROUND and not flattened/crumpled in the rear.

Don't settle for anything less than a new pontoon. That's what you paid for.

That was most definitely dropped. Unfortunately I have experience with this.

You cannot predict whether the structural integrity of that pontoon has been compromised - especially along that end cap weld. The shock that that pontoon took would have resonated along the length of at least the rear compartment - including the internal bulkhead.

There's also the hydrodynamics question - there's a reason they design them to be ROUND and not flattened/crumpled in the rear.

Don't settle for anything less than a new pontoon. That's what you paid for.
Do you think that the rest of the pontoon meaning boat itself as been affected or should I get it inspected?

Do you think that the rest of the pontoon meaning boat itself as been affected or should I get it inspected?

I think the other pontoons are probably fine. That pontoon took all the impact. Simple test is to have the other compartments of the other pontoons (don't bother testing the bad pontoon; it needs to be replaced) pressure tested. This is a trivial test that any dealer can do. They run about 10 psi of pressure into each compartment and ensure that each one holds pressure. If there's a crack or a leak they'll see the drop in pressure (as it can't maintain pressure) in that compartment and you'll know there's a problem.

I think the other pontoons are probably fine. That pontoon took all the impact. Simple test is to have the other compartments of the other pontoons (don't bother testing the bad pontoon; it needs to be replaced) pressure tested. This is a trivial test that any dealer can do. They run about 10 psi of pressure into each compartment and ensure that each one holds pressure. If there's a crack or a leak they'll see the drop in pressure (as it can't maintain pressure) in that compartment and you'll know there's a problem.
excellent thanks for the advice

No way would ever accept a weld to fix that pontoon. You do everything possible to force them to replace that toon. It is a brand new boat!

Back