Thoughts on aluminum to SS?

22' twin toons w/ F115 - aluminum or SS prop?

• Total voters
I had a stainless on my Yamaha F115 and got a lot of chatter at idle. It was freaking annoying. I changed to a 4 blade aluminum and the chatter went away and the performance was better.

I wonder if the stainless one was out of balance ?
Nope, its running fine on a Mercury that a buddy of mine has. Talked to several on here and a couple of dealers and the problem seemed to be inherent to the Yamaha 115.

I think it’s inherent to the 4 cylinder Yamaha’s. I had chatter on my 150 when I tested an Enertia with a Torc-Flo II hub adapter which is solid plastic. Currently running a Reliance SDS which is quiet with no vibration. The hub adapter design makes all the difference.

Flo-torq IV is the answer.

The SDS hub on the yamahas is nice. I've had no issues with mine.

I’ll stick with stainless. Had both. Aluminum on first boat with 90 hp. Hit a submerged log, totally destroyed my prop, bent prop shaft, cracked gears. So much for the theory that you’ll have to change your lower unit if you run stainless. This boat, 150hp with stainless. Been in shallow water, in sand, by mistake, at night. Had I been running an alum., it would have destroyed my prop, leaving me in a worse mess than I was already in. Besides, with every little bump of the aluminum, you’ll be repairing or replacing. I keep with SS.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 22SLXP with a Yamaha F115 and an aluminum prop. Unfortunately I dinged up the prop last weekend and need to replace it. I can get a fairly cheap replacement Yamaha in aluminum but I'm considering going with a Solas prop in SS with the same specs (13.25 x 17) instead. Are there any not so obvious pros/cons of going SS? I found a Solas that is only about $120 more than an aluminum. thanks for your feedback.
Aluminum props can be repaired for about 50-60 bucks. SS not so much.

^^^ SS won’t need repair with every little bump against something. Aluminum will. ;)

Back