Throttle Friction Resistance Adjustment 115 Yamaha 2005

jamescareyll

Reaction score
Throttle Adj (2) 5x7.jpgThrottle Adj (3) 5x7.jpgI have a 2005, 115 hp Yamaha outboard (F115TLRD) and I am trying to figure out how to adjust the throttle resistance  to put more friction on the throttle.

When I accelerate and let go of the throttle -- it comes back down to idle -- very annoying.

I have read that you remove the cover (see 2nd photo) and adjust the screw at the bottom of the area.

The only screws that I see are "nutted" and don't look like an adjust screw (see 2nd photo)?

The only other plate that could be removed is on the side (see 3rd photo) -- it did not have a screw of any kind under the plate?

Are the nuts that you see in the 2nd picture the actual adjustment place?

What is the proper procedure for the adjustment?

I greatly appreciate any help and information you can provide.

Thanks, and please do a reply so that I may know you got this email and answer my request when possible.

If you believe you could explain better during a call, please call: 843-767-9106

Thanks,

Throttle Adj (4) 5x7.jpg

Top picture on page 5 of the link above in semper's post shows it.

Oops.  Sorry.  Merc is different.  Looks like mine is on the wider side, your's is on the narrow side.

Anyway, you guys with Mercury controls should tuck this away in the back of your mind.  You may need it someday.

Thanks guys, but although it says it is a 704 -- mine does not match the manual for the Yamaha 704 that you attached.  My plastic housing does not have a hole in it to get to a screw to adjust it.  After I took off the housing cover, you could see everything inside and there is no "screw" to be adjusted (see picture with two bolts and nuts)?  the picture in the manual you attached, isn't even close to matching the throttle assembly mine has?? I have been around outboard motors just about all my life and they "always" had a screw to adjust the friction on the throttle.  This does not?  I have very closely examined the cover for a hole to be able to adjust a screw -- there is no hole?  It has to be done on the inside??  If you look at the picture really close there is nothing inside other than the two bolds with nuts on them??  I really appreciate you guys helping out, this is a real mystery???

On second look very closely, I noticed that both of the bolts with nuts have a slotted head that looks like it could be moved by a screwdriver?  Maybe, you have to loosen the nut and then turn the bolt to tighten the friction? I read somewhere that you turn to the right to tighten?  Anybody recognize this setup?

Are you sure the rear does not have a adjuster. Being you just stated "on second look" which I saw them immediately, and by the manual, those are cable adjusters not friction. Also the manual link I provided states nothing about a hole in the cover. It says to remove the cover to adjust throttle friction? Take a pic of the front and rear of the metal housing and post up.

Yea...... I think you found the missing friction adjuster...!!!  It was on the very bottom lip, of the bottom, where the cover slides on to the housing bottom.  I did not see it because when I pulled the cover off it left the spongy black material that I assume insolates the insides from the elements. I notice a "v" in the housing material edge and wondered why they would do that?  I pulled the black material off and low and behold -- the adjusting screw!!!

Thanks to all for your friendly and greatly appreciated help.  I can now plow the waters without keeping my hand on the throttle all the time.  Special thanks to Commodore for making me take another look at the unit......

Glad you got it fixed. I know what constantly having to hold the throttle is like. We had the same problem.

Excellent !!!

That Semper,  always urging people to take a second look at the unit! :D  

That Semper,  always urging people to take a second look at the unit! :D

I always take a second look, make sure there's nothing missing .... sometimes things don't fit right so a little adjustment is necessary .....  :p

I have the same problem, but only at very slow speed, slightly above idle. I'm going to look into it. Thanks guys.

Back