Throttle Lock-Out

Baroda5

Reaction score
I brought this up in the Pontoon Ideas post, but I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I completely agree with the practice of turning off the motor when anyone is near the prop. Coming from an inboard, I have to think and act differently. I will certainly make that a requirement. But just yesterday, I stopped the boat to see if there were any weeds on the prop, and it was back there spinning, and I was sure that I had the throttle in neutral.

I do like the prop warning system, http://www.propeller...ropeller-alert/ , but $400 is a bit pricey.

But my question is still this: Why don't they include a Neutral lock on the throttle?? Every I/O or inboard that I've owned has had one, and they were very natural to use. What am I missing?

I don't have any problem finding neutral. Maybe you just have to get used to it.

My outboard spins ever so slightly in neutral ..... That's why you must shut it down if anyone's in water to rear.

Does not matter if it has lock out or not ..... Mechanical or electrical safety's can malfunction just like anything else.

Don't chance it ..... Shut it off.

As for why ..... Possibly a cost saving thing. One out of 10,000 might have a prop strike due to negligence. Do you make 9999 other folks pay for one persons error ??? Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why even take a chance, just turn the engine off

Yes, just turn it off. I find that my captains chair will hit the throttle when I swivel around and that can be dangerous if the engine is still running and swimmers are around rthe prop.

Jack

Yep. Turn it off anytime anyone's anywhere near the back of the boat. Don't want to take a chance. Like jack said, it only takes one bump to create a real disaster.

Back