To strake, or not to strake?

schmeg

Reaction score
Hop everyone is having a great summer of boating. It's been mighty fine boating weather in Maine so far. Sunny and 80's for the most part. I do have a question for anyone in the know.

I am about to order a new 2275RLi. Most of what I do is cruising and cooking on the boat with the occasional fast pull to port. I'm on a 15 mile long lake, so getting back quickly becomes an issue

sometimes when bad weather looms. I currently have a 22SFi with a Yammi T50. Nice boat but I need more boat. We have made our minds up on the 2275Rli so with that being said, I can only afford

a 115 for power. Will strakes do anything for me on this heavy of a boat at this horsepower level, or is it a waste of money? Again, the top speed isn't a big deal, but If I can pick up a couple of MPH over

the predicted 26 mph ceiling of this boat/power combo, then I'll spring for them, if not then I won't bother. Thanks, Jay.

It's borderline for you and will be dependent on your load as well. My guess is that they are more likely than not to provide at least some benefit.

If you can afford them, buy them. The worst case situation is that they won't work for you.

Plus, you might up-power some day, and retrofitting is problematic.

You did not mention I it was a three tube boat or two tubes. I agree with ericscher that a lot will depend on the load in the boat. With a two tube and 2 to 3 adults on board, I think you will see a benefit to them. With 5 or more adults, it will probably be minimal. With a three tube boat, I think you will benefit with all loads.

Either way Twin or tripple tube absolutely do strakes. On my last boat 2007 2275 GL with triple tube fully straked with a 150 yamaha it was on plane at around 10 mph even with 8 people and full fuel and gear. It wouldn't have mattered at 115 or 150 at that slow of speed if you are going with a tripple tube, twin would be a different scenario I couldn't give advice on but strakes will help no matter what.

I would strake any boat with a 115 hp or larger--twin toons or tritoon. A boat of the caliper you're considering deserves 150 hp, and you would be probably be much more satisfied with a trihull.

I just got in from a nice long ride, and I find myself cruising around 21-22 mph GPS. But having the extra power to pass a couple of boats going my same speed was just great. I blew them away.

I would do strakes again in a heartbeat if I had to do it over. I have the express package on 24 SSL with 6 strakes. We had 8 adults in the boat today, and everyone was sitting in front of me except 1 was next to me on the "L" seat across from the helm). We hit 27 mph (GPS) with our 115 hp. I had to dial in the trim, but if it wasn't for the strakes, I'm sure I would not have planed up and got that speed because the wake on plane was just rear of the front edge of my strakes with all that weight up front. I'm satisfied the strakes were worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, we also got 7 people in the rear lounger, but that's not the topic of this thread.

I work as a fireman, and while we were out one day we (6 adults, 3 kids) blew past buddies that were on the river working on one of our fireboats. I got a text a little while later asking wtf I was thinking putting a 200hp SHO on a pontoon! I was cruising at 43mph, and they said only the back 6' of the boat was touching water. Strakes work. I have the ESP, but I'm certain that the strakes keep it above water and not plowing through it. Worth every penny, and as far as dollars/mph it's the better value if you have to choose between horsepower and strakes.

The boat is a '12 2275 GCW, ESP, Yamaha 200 VMAX SHO.

I work as a fireman, and while we were out one day we (6 adults, 3 kids) blew past buddies that were on the river working on one of our fireboats. I got a text a little while later asking wtf I was thinking putting a 200hp SHO on a pontoon! I was cruising at 43mph, and they said only the back 6' of the boat was touching water. Strakes work. I have the ESP, but I'm certain that the strakes keep it above water and not plowing through it. Worth every penny, and as far as dollars/mph it's the better value if you have to choose between horsepower and strakes.

The boat is a '12 2275 GCW, ESP, Yamaha 200 VMAX SHO.
I think you answered this before but I couldn't find it, what prop are you running? Thanks

Derrick

Thanks for the advice. I will have them installed. It's going to be a 2 tube setup. I went back and forth on lesser luxury and more power or more luxury and less power. We are at the top of our

budget as it is. I understand a 150 is definitely the way to go, but luxury won out. 95 percent of the time we are just cruising. It's just nice having more speed if we are in a hurry to get off the

lake, which usually isn't the case. Most of the time it's just 3 of us on the boat.

Yamaha Saltwater Series II, 15-3/4" x 15

I wish it came in a x16 version.. My rpms are a wee high, and I think I could squeeze even more top end out of it.
Hmmm, interesting, we have the same motor, same prop, same length and setup (ESP)and so far I have only got 41.6 mph out of mine. Is the RCW that much heavier than the GCW? I figured they would be the same. My rpm topped at about 5700 rpm with just me and the wife on.

Derrick

Edit, just looked, said same weight, was your fuel tank full at the time? Mine is.

Edit again, I don't know why, but when I first read this and posted my comment, I thought your post said 46 mph, which is why I was wondering, plus the prop in the pic looked like a four blade of some sort. 1.4 mph isn't that big of a difference in the land if boating variables.

Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back