Today was the day! Took ownership of the 20SLG!

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
For those of you who follow my ramblings on this forum, you will undoubtedly know how FREAKIN' EXCITED I am about finally being able to sit in my boat! It hardly seems like any time has passed since I made my first post back in October and introduced myself to you wonderful people. The build was quick, especially for these times... about three months. My wife and I spent three and a half hours on the boat in the marina's prep shop (we even got lunch and ate on the boat!)... we didn't even watch the Bills win, that's how excited we were. The build was perfect; right to spec, no problems, no omissions... spot on. While we didn't have a chance to run the motor or deploy the dual biminis, the marina was kind enough to run power to the boat so we could check out the radio, depth sounder, LED lights, nav lights, and docking lights (super bright!). By the way, the standard Kicker KMC45 is a great head unit. We did upgrade the speakers (only $200) and they sound GREAT! I upped the base and treble in the equalizer and they crank! I know audiophiles among us will spend thousands for amps and different equipment, but IMO this thing has amazing output. My Android phone synced in a few seconds and I had SiriusXM Yacht Rock Radio playing in less than a minute. I love the newly designed tables for 2021 - solid with a lot of surface space. One thing I wasn't expecting was the pressed diamond in the seats! That too is new for 2021 in the S-Series and they look amazing. So glad I sprung for the enhanced steering wheel as it matches the zebrawood dash and had a nice rubberized textured feel on your fingertips on the backside of the wheel. Also glad I got the heavy-duty rub rail and stainless steel cleats with the Bennington logo. The VMAX SHO 90 hp, helped by the under deck wave shield and the Talon 13.5x12 prop, should push the boat up to around 25-28mph at WOT. You know speed is not a concern for me; this is plenty fast enough for our needs. Finally, before any of you say, "Pics please!" I've got your pics! Can't wait to get her on the water; I'm sure I'll share more pics!

Attachments

• Boat Inspection-02.jpg
    Boat Inspection-02.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Boat Inspection-01.jpg
    Boat Inspection-01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Boat Inspection-03.jpg
    Boat Inspection-03.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Boat Inspection-06.jpg
    Boat Inspection-06.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Boat Inspection-07.jpg
    Boat Inspection-07.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Boat Inspection-08.jpg
    Boat Inspection-08.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Boat Inspection-09.jpg
    Boat Inspection-09.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Boat Inspection-10.jpg
    Boat Inspection-10.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Boat Inspection-12.jpg
    Boat Inspection-12.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Boat Inspection-13.jpg
    Boat Inspection-13.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Boat Inspection-14.jpg
    Boat Inspection-14.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Boat Inspection-16.jpg
    Boat Inspection-16.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Boat Inspection-17.jpg
    Boat Inspection-17.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Boat Inspection-18.jpg
    Boat Inspection-18.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Boat Inspection-21.jpg
    Boat Inspection-21.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Boat Inspection-24.jpg
    Boat Inspection-24.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Boat Inspection-25.jpg
    Boat Inspection-25.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Boat Inspection-26.jpg
    Boat Inspection-26.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 113
You have a beautiful Bennington! Congratulations, both of your smiles are priceless! I’m glad there were no issues with your build, ours was built correctly too. Bennington makes a beautiful boat. I wish you years of fun and smiles on your new Bennington. Happy pontooning!

So how do you really feel .... don’t hold back ... :p:p

Man...the excitement just comes through your post and pictures. Boat looks great! So happy for the two of you and that the boat came in perfect. Looking forward to how nice those first trips are on it. Congratulations to your and your wife. Loved you guys hanging out and having lunch on it In the prep shop - Outstanding!!!

No you don't sound excited at all. Congrats to you and your wife!!!

Congratulations! I know most of us can appreciate the excitement you felt today as we've been there as well. I have to admit that each year when we launch her for the season, I feel pretty darn giddy all over again. Can't wait to hear about your first excursion! Oh, and congrats on the Bill's victory today. From what I've read, they're the real deal and will only get better.

Now that is an awesome late Christmas gift! Now we just need some warm weather. Enjoy your new boat and the memories you will make on it

Beautiful boat! Everything you wanted just for you. I love the picture of you hugging the motor! :cool: It’s always good to see the level of joy it brings. You will have an excellent summer and many years of wonderful memories to come. Congratulations!

Great boat and a great post! Loved the pics. Now we will need pics of her on the water. :)

Congrats! Lots of good info there too!

FYI, I recently snagged a Talon 12p pontoon prop on ebay for a reasonable price (new, but no box). It is on the boat, but no good test data yet other than a couple of observations. The SDS system (soft shift) makes a noticeable difference even with relatively light aluminum props. The other point requiring more investigation is that the Talon seems to be more susceptible to slippage induced by having the motor too high. Currently running up two holes (that's about 1 1/2" up from the motor mount sitting on the transom). That does cause some extra slippage for the Nemesis pontoon (maybe an extra 5% at 15%), but no big deal. At first look, the Talon is running ~30% at WOT (no good top speed info yet, but it is down at least a couple MPH...just too cold and I've been busy). That is clearly more slippage than other reports for the Talon Pontoon. Initial acceleration is very good and top RPM is ~6000.

No doubt, the motor should be down a bit....the question is one notch or two? To be sure, the best mount position for your boat will be different than ours, but the Talon certainly does not like conditions where the Nemesis has no problem.

BTW: Here is a pic of the Talon Pontoon 12p next to a basic Yamaha 15p. May be hard to see in the photo, but the Talon is definitely an elephant ear prop!

Attachments

• Talon Pontoon basic Yamaha.jpg
    Talon Pontoon basic Yamaha.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Congrats! Lots of good info there too!

FYI, I recently snagged a Talon 12p pontoon prop on ebay for a reasonable price (new, but no box). It is on the boat, but no good test data yet other than a couple of observations. The SDS system (soft shift) makes a noticeable difference even with relatively light aluminum props. The other point requiring more investigation is that the Talon seems to be more susceptible to slippage induced by having the motor too high...
The shop guys told me since the 20S is such a popular boat at the marina (there were five that came on the truck with mine, but they were the Value series), they have perfected the prop and height for that boat. However, he said they will adjust whatever they need to so it achieves 6,000 rpm and doesn't cavitate/ventilate. We'll see!

Thank you all for your kind wishes and words of wisdom! I will definitely post photos of our maiden voyage which is scheduled (barring a snowstorm) for Saturday, April 23.

Back