Tools & Items We Bought & Like!

tyjy

Reaction score
With our very first pontoon purchase and boating season under our belts thought we'd share what we especially appreciate from the items we bought. (Thanks to folks on here for the tips!)

"Super Siphon" jiggler ($11) to put gas in. Amazing! That little bugger is so great!

"VP" fuel containers (5 gallon square; no vent!) ($22 each Autoplicity-but don't see 'em listed anymore there)

"Tilt 'N Drain" Oil Drain Kit, (ebay $16.45) to drain motor oil on our F150 Yamaha. Wow! Worked great!

Yamaha Fuel Filter Cup Wrench for F150 4-stroke ($30 Amazon) What a help!

"Slide Anchor" small box anchor (Overton's $128) probably buy a baby box for additional. Love this anchor!

Taylor Made "Super Gard" inflatable vinyl fenders, size: 8.5" X 26" ($44 each, Boatersland.com) Navy blue! : )

(Dealer originally gave us the smaller ones and they were not large enough to protect boat from dock. Love these larger ones, perfect for our size boat!)

303 Products (vinyl cleaner, aerospace protectant, High Tech fabric guard w/waterproofing)

Star Brite snap & zipper lube (mooring cover snaps!)

Registration Numbers from BoatUS.com ($63.86+ $6 shipping) to match our blue/black boat colors

(Pegasus font, non slanted Metallic Silver text; Black, light border; Navy Blue forward shadow; proportional size 3" high x 24.82" wide)

(The BoatUS site lets you sample all kinds of ideas using your own registration numbers PLUS they send free samples of the colors to compare to your boat)

VERY SUCCESSFUL SEASON! Only thing we'd do differently is get sealed strakes! NOT for any performance issues but for lack of cleanability reasons!

Thanks for the list.very helpful.

They work great! For me I found the key is getting the can as high as you can above the fill cap. I place a towel on the seat back of the l seating and place the 5 gallon can up there and it works great. Remember though, if you shake it more than twice, your just playing with yourself.

I just put a pix up in the Gallery of our VP fuel can using the super siphon. (If I only knew how to post it in this thread). We put the can up on the fishing console, tipped at an angle so that tip of siphon can get every drop inside. Yup, just a couple of jiggles till you see the siphon hose fill solid with fuel.

gallery_5569_700_874199.jpg

(Thanks for pix in the post admin ;)  )

Last edited by a moderator:
Telescoping Boat Hook!  Used it a lot more often than I expected.
Ditto this! Should've been on my original list : )

Telescoping Boat Hook!  Used it a lot more often than I expected.
We have 2 telescoping boat hooks on board.  With our docking setup, my wife grabs bow lines and the spring line while I grab stern lines.  We keep her 2-section pole under one of the front seats while underway, while I keep my 3 section pole on the floor to the right side of the helm chair in case we need quick access to a pole.  

Tried the Super Siphon today for the first time, and I was able to get a little fuel in the tube, but not to my gas tank.  The can was probably about 1 foot higher than the tank. I spilled gas, trying to tip my gas can, and gave up, and held the can to add the 5 gallons.  The tube doesn't go into my tank very far and also kept coming out.

Probably won't try again.

Galvanized farm equipment funnel with corrugated 1" metal hose--Tractor Supply  It feeds fuel as fast as the filler neck on a O'Bamacan can put in it.

4' plastic kid's swimming pool--Walmart  Works great as a drain pan for both oil and lower unit grease.  You can look for water intrusion and/or metal shavings.

Heavy duty auto oil filter wrench--AutoZone  I'd never want to shake hands with the little Japanese man that installed that Yamaha oil filter.  It takes a seriously strong man the first filter change, but thankfully it's easy to get to. 

I too like the VP jugs, but remember they don't meet California's standards for "gasoline or fuel."  I like the way they don't sell any filler hoses with them--to skirt government regulations.  It's really nice that you can purchase racks that hold jugs for long river journeys.  They're really great and compact for marine use.

I've been thinking about buying a gas buddy on wheels and winching it (in my boathouse) higher than the filler neck on my boat.  I've also thought about ordering one of the old style filler vents so gasoline will go in faster and not run down my fencing.

Back