Toon damage??

Mhud

Reaction score
BRAND NEW 2275 GCW!!! The toon directly below the fuel fill location has had fuel spilled on it at the dealer when the first fill up took place. Didn't notice it until next fill up... The toon has shark hide protectant from the factory. Warning states to ONLY USE SOAP AND WATER TO CLEAN... THE DAMAGE LOOKS PERMANENT AND APPEARS TO HAVE EATEN AWAY THE PROTECTANT and almost looks like it has been sanded.... and is the size of 3 basketballs. YUCK>>> HELP HELP!!!! Soap and water does NOTHING!!!

If the dealer messed it up, the dealer should fix it.

I will have a hard time convincing the dealer they did the dirty deed. Even if the dealer corrects the issue how will it NOT occur again when filled again? I would think the shark hide would be resistant the fuel...

Sharkhide is not paint. It's a coating for aluminum that can be removed with petroleum distilates such as laquer thinner and fuel. You have to be careful.

Well at least talk to the dealer about it, the worst they can do is tell you no.

The Sharkhyde will not stand up to being soaked with gas and left to sit, but if it is rinsed off quickly it should be o-k.

As Carl said (who types faster than me) petroleum products will eat through it.

If the dealer won't do anything for you, get a can of sharkhyde, clean the area and re-apply as per their instructions.

Chances are they'll must mop some more Sharkhide on there. Trick is getting it done quickly before any oxidation happens.

I polished and tried to Sharkhide my toons. But to get the black oxide off the toons is about 10x harder work than polishing them with an electric polisher. And the oxide just smears if not completely removed with lacquer cleaner.

Agree w/Geoffrey and Brenda.......just reapply the Sharkhide and it will "meld" w/the Sharkhide that is already there. It's been 3 yrs. that I applied it and it's rubbing off in some areas. I take a clean diaper and reapply it to the areas that need it........

BigKahuna,

Your telling your age with the "clean diaper" comment. I can just see someone younger getting a clean disposable diaper out there to apply the shark hide:). Some people don't even know cloth diapers exist

BigKahuna,

Your telling your age with the "clean diaper" comment. I can just see someone younger getting a clean disposable diaper out there to apply the shark hide:). Some people don't even know cloth diapers exist
Guilty!!!! I was seriously thinking that the disposable diapers of today were extra soft for the little tushies...LOL

What was old is new again. Our kids are having their 1st baby and they are going with cloth diapers. What is different is all the "cute" coverups that go over the diaper. I figure those will not get used too often. We are on the 1 month countdown.

So what I think I am hearing is that I will need to clean the damaged area with lacquer and then reapply sharkhide??? When using lacquer do I hand rub out the damaged area or is a polisher/buffer necessary?

Laquer Thinner.

I would try by hand first and if that is not clean enough get more aggressive.

Jack

I think I'd just try to apply new Sharkhide to the toon and see how it looks. If not okay, then get out the lacquer cleaner and remove part of the finish and reapply the Sharkhide.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigKahuna,

Yup, I am telling my ripe old age of 53! Ha! The reason for a diaper is they don't shed the "lint" that comes off of other towels or rags. Can you imagine the lint coming off a towel when applying Sharkhide? All that lint and fibers stuck in the finish????? Not pretty..........

Back