Touch Up Paint

Crobby

Reaction score
Got a grey Yamaha and scuffed up back of engine last summer. Anyone have any success/past experiences or knowledge with touch up paint? My research has been spotty thus far but I am not that smart.

Most auto repair shops now have computer paint matching ,they may be able to help . If not ,have you tried Yamaha ?

Spend a hundred or two and let a body shop do it. I’ve never seen a good “touch up spray” job done. You just can’t get the same results a as a base coat/clear coat spray, unless you buy the Yamaha kit. Even then, I’d spray the complete cowl.

I am having my new motor painted to match the boat , panels are coming from the factory primed .Thats going to run about $450 here

A guy on one of the Facebook groups I follow recently repainted a friends cowling. This is his post detailing how he repainted. Bit more than a touch up but it looks brand new.

I’ve been doing a project for a friend the past few days (between the wind & rain). This was redoing the engine cowling on his outboard.
Step 1: using 80 grit sandpaper I removed the old decals, paint and primer - I had to go all the way down because during its 21 years, there were plenty of deep nicks and gouges. I then feathered everything with 150 grit, followed by 220 grit using an orbital sander.
Step 2: wiped surface with lacquer thinner, followed by wiping with a tack cloth.
Step 3: applied a coat of sandable primer, wet sanded with 220 grit by hand, followed by 600 grit, then wiped with lacquer thinner, and a tack cloth.
Step 4: applied another coat of primer, wet sanded with 220 grit, then 600 grit, followed by a fine steel wool (#0000), light wipe with lacquer thinner, and a tack clothe.
Step 5: applied color coat, followed by 600 grit wet sand, then a fine steel wool, and wiped with a tack cloth.
Step 6: applied second color coat, followed by 600 grit wet sand, fine steel wool, wiped with tack cloth, and inspected to insure no unexpected imperfections we exhibited. Discovered a couple irregularities, so repeated step 6 again.
Step 7: applied coat of clear coat
Step 8: applied second coat of clear coat
Step 9: installed new decals

Attachments

• 3EB1617F-B2D6-40FB-9CE8-6DCA733F215E.jpeg
    3EB1617F-B2D6-40FB-9CE8-6DCA733F215E.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 28
  • FBCCD8B0-BF2B-478D-80D1-37DFBA3C9A13.jpeg
    FBCCD8B0-BF2B-478D-80D1-37DFBA3C9A13.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 39AA651E-BCB7-4369-B973-A9B4563640DB.jpeg
    39AA651E-BCB7-4369-B973-A9B4563640DB.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 27
That turned out great Rod. That guy must be retired to have that much time!

That turned out great Rod. That guy must be retired to have that much time!
This guy is constantly working on boats, the jobs he takes on are way above my level of time, bravery, or skill.

Put a sticker over the scratch.

I have one panel that has a dent/gauge/scrap from our second summer with the boat - lets say bad weather and docking did not treat us well that day. :eek:

I’ve thought about trying for touch up paint to minimize it...perhaps blending across that panel. I had not considered perhaps someone with automotive body shop experience until thinking through this thread. Think that could be done dockside since we don’t have a trailer? Hmmm....

I have one panel that has a dent/gauge/scrap from our second summer with the boat - lets say bad weather and docking did not treat us well that day. :eek:

I’ve thought about trying for touch up paint to minimize it...perhaps blending across that panel. I had not considered perhaps someone with automotive body shop experience until thinking through this thread. Think that could be done dockside since we don’t have a trailer? Hmmm....
Depending on how bad the damage is there are some “paintless” dent repair guys that are mobile that may have the ability to remove the dent, either through glue pulling or tools they have to push and smooth the dent out(won’t be flawless but would be barely noticeable) then you could theoretically mask off the area and spray paint it to feather it in.

I noticed a dent in one of my panels. I’m thinking it was a mullet jumping into the side of it. For those who are familiar with those fish they leap out of the water and fly 10-15 feet. The dent is on the canal side.

Back