Trading My 2011 2575 RCWC for a 2015 RSR

Noah Genda

Reaction score
After fighting  with my 250 Suzuki this summer - I'll spare you the details - we have decided to buy a 2015 2550 RSR.  But I have a couple of questions on my new build.

We don't want to downgrade, so we're selecting the ESP package and a 250 Merc Verado setup, center tube storage/fuel tank, elevated helm, etc.

• We've upgraded from carpet to full seagrass and will order the curved power bimini top (unless someone convinces me otherwise.  
  • We decided to order the diamond pillow top upholstery as well.  Is it worth the upgrade?  
  • I have decided not to order the illuminated cup holders - cool, but I rarely run at night and rarely used them previously.
  • We chose not to upgrade the stereo.
  • We also don't plan on ordering the extra battery setup, though our RCWC had it.
But I discover this on the website:   Lifting Strakes - Sealed (ESP/SPS) Add bow lift, which increases handling across choppy water and improves speed as much as 5 miles per hour, depending on engine selection. For optimum performance, lifting strakes are recommended only for engines rated 115 hp or greater and for boats exceeding 30 mph. Lifting strakes are recommended for Twin Ellipitcal Pontoons with 90 hp or greater.

Is this separate and apart from the ESP package and do I need it?  

Is the refreshment cooler table just another thing to get in the way, or is it useful?

Help me before I finalize my order, please!

Supporting the decisions on the full seagrass flooring and power bimini.

I am sold on the seagrass. Way sold. Much richer looking than vinyl, yet doesn't hold water like carpet. Best of both worlds. Also...spilled a full bloody mary on the seagrass recently...it hosed off as if it were never there. 

Power bimini - I wasn't going to pay for such a thing. Totally ridiculous. 

Unfortunately, we bought off the showroom floor, and it was there. Nothing could be done.

Now...I absolutely love it. We go under bridges to get around where we boat. And it's fantastic. Just an outstanding option to have on a boat of that caliber. 

It also really changes the look of the boat. Much less like a giant bimini with braces all over the place. More like a petite arch with nice lines.

I know nothing of the lifting strakes if they are separate from the tube upgrade. 

If you are asking if you need lifting strakes regardless of the additional upgrade - the answer is a huge holy-buckets yes. 

Also double check for the wave shield and rough water package. Rough water package adds umph to the transom which I think comes standard once you are up to a 250. Though you should double check. And with that much power on the back, you'll want the underskinning that is the wave shield. At least in my opinion.

-J

But I discover this on the website:   Lifting Strakes - Sealed (ESP/SPS) Add bow lift, which increases handling across choppy water and improves speed as much as 5 miles per hour, depending on engine selection. For optimum performance, lifting strakes are recommended only for engines rated 115 hp or greater and for boats exceeding 30 mph. Lifting strakes are recommended for Twin Ellipitcal Pontoons with 90 hp or greater.

Is this separate and apart from the ESP package and do I need it?  
Noah, I believe these strakes are in addition to those you already get with ESP/SPS.  I believe they're added to the outside toons.

Is the refreshment cooler table just another thing to get in the way, or is it useful?
Personally, I'd rather get a Yeti cooler than one of these.

Pretty sure when you select ESP you get most of that stuff checked off separately but included in the pricing. Rough Water Package and High Horsepower Package are 2 different things that are separate from ESP and you sometimes get different answers on what they include. Ask your dealer to tell you specifics for 2015 model year as it may change.

Our refreshment table spends a lot of time on shore, not in the boat ... When we need it, very infrequently it's nice to have, but not necessary IMHO.

I agree with most of the above.  We skipped the cooler/ottoman.  I love the seagrass flooring, and I have the teak aft.  I too have a 250 Yamaha and would encourage you to go with power assist, steering, you will love it and make sure you get the center in floor storage.   It is huge.  I don't think you will have strakes on the outside, it defeats the the cornering you will get with ESP.  I can cut a circle or turn on a dime.  It will handle and ride like no other.  My strakes are sealed and I have the rough water and saltwater package.  Hope this helps.

The sealed strakes are separate from esp. I did not know this when i ordered i would get them due to the fact of growth build up in the unsealed ones especially if you will be leaving the boat in the water. Definitely go with power assist steering worth every penny. I ordered the filler seat for mine though I find its in the way more than i use it so i would pass on the cooler there is one built into the seat anyway. Flooring i have vinyl and live it just hose it off and go but i think thats all personal preference. Nice build otherwise.

I did not realize that the sealed strakes were a separate order or addition. I wonder how much of a difference they would make brand new and how much of a difference at the end of the season. I lost 10 mph from being in the water all year and I wonder if those would have helped.

The Rough Water Package and maybe the HP package add thicker metal for the toons. I think that is worthwhile even if it just gets you more resistance to dents in the toons from docking etc.

Congrats. Absolute thumbs up to the full seagrass floor. When you get the 250 verado you get the package with power steering etc. I would suggest you get the 300HP verado. It was worth it to me and I am glad to have it. I would suggest the double battery with switch. It to me is just a bit of redundant peace of mind.

In regards to the sealed strakes, absolutely, unequivocally get them. There is no positive reason to not get them. The cost is minimal. On the esp package you have strakes that are not sealed. When you select the sealed option, they are welded shut. I believe the boat ,handles better at speed and provides better speed and holeshot with them. Further, I hear people complain about trying to clean inside the unsealed strakes.  I have driven and ridden in both and I can tell the difference. I may be a bit over the top due to my background in coming from high performance boating. Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Steve

All of the above sounds good and I would suggest you consider the raised helm option as I think it is well wort the $$$.

Jack

When they say sealed strakes does that mean waterproof? I seem to remember someone on the forum with sealed strakes saying that they saw air bubbles when slowing down [perhaps it was the non-sealed strakes]. Because I would think that if water does get in it will foster more growth

My recollection is that is for non sealed strakes. As the boat slows down and the bow and boat settle, the water then fills the non sealed strakes displacing the air. If I remember correctly, bubbles were then seen and the author of the thread had concerns about a leak in a toon.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Our last boat with un sealed strakes bubbled after coming off plane. Our new one with sealed strakes does not.

Thanks for all the great info.  Concerning the sealed lifting strakes, the response I got from my new dealer was it is for a salt water application.  Can't tell you other than that.  

I am looking for color scheme feedback.  Does anyone out there have a smokey granite boat with the black panel accent?  And if not, has anyone seen that setup and how does it look?  Pictures never do these things justice.

Thanks, Tom

Thanks for all the great info.  Concerning the sealed lifting strakes, the response I got from my new dealer was it is for a salt water application.  Can't tell you other than that.  

I am looking for color scheme feedback.  Does anyone out there have a smokey granite boat with the black panel accent?  And if not, has anyone seen that setup and how does it look?  Pictures never do these things justice.

Thanks, Tom
We have that color scheme and love it. It is very unique vs many all black boats out on the lakes.

Ok. Not a fan of black anything. No black cars, no black boats, no black suits in closet. Too old to sacrifice the cleaning time. Red with ivory or fawn. Vinyl floor, maybe snap in carpet.

A question, if the Suzuki motor is the issue and you like the boat, why not just buy a motor? Better yet shame Suzuki into replacing it.

I have sealed strakes.  Its really for the saltwaer guys.  My strakes are spot welding to the tubes in 3" lenght welds to the toons.  There are no holes at the ends.

My salesman had no clue between sealed and unsealed so he ordered the sealed.  I am on Lake Huron and Saignaw Bay in Michigan, so no saltwater here.

glad I have them though (just because)

From Benningotn website.

ESP is our top of the line in performance. It offers enhanced stability and water displacement with quick planing and handling characteristics that rival a fiberglass sport boat. Designed for high horsepower applications, ESP is optional on outboard models and comes standard on all Bennington I/O models. It includes two 25" diameter outer pontoons with performance foils, a patented 32" Elliptical center pontoon with lifting strakes and an under deck wave shield. Optional Power-assist steering and available fuel tank upgrade is recommended in addition to the base package on engines greater than 150hp.

By choosing ESP, you get all the lifting strakes and performance foils allowed

Hope this helps

Todd

Todd, do you think having sealed strakes help keep zebra muscles out?

Smart A$$!

Back