Trailer Problem, Overweight

patcraver

Reaction score
I have posted about my trailer a few week's ago because it doesn't have a third bunk for my center toon. I was looking at the maximum capacity from the sticker on the trailer and it says 3200 pounds. I looked up the weight of my boat (2013 24SSRX SPS) and that is 2724 pounds, the weight of the motor f150xa is 491 lbs for a total of 3215 pounds which is already over the capacity of the trailer. This is without fuel and any supplies which would put the total weight well over 3500 pounds and probably closer to 4000 pounds. I have tried to contact my dealer and haven't heard back yet but shouldn't they be responsible for exchanging my trailer for an adequate trailer that can support the weight of the boat?

I would sure hope so. Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem with dealers and trailers, particularly with pontoons.

There is some good information HERE, which may be helpful in that discussion.

Yes they should be responsible, but apparently they weren't responsible enough to get you the right one the first time!

It would not be out of the question for them to ask you to pay for the difference in price, but since they got it wrong, i think they should just pony up and get you taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it would be worth it to ask, but be prepared to pony up the difference (at dealer price) if they don't agree.... IF it's important to maintain a positive relationship with your selling dealer.

Ask yourself, is it worth being treated as "that guy" when it comes to service and other dealer needs for a few hundred bucks saved? Only you know if it is or it isn't.

Reactions: KLM
I wouldn't have a problem paying a few hundred to make sure we have a safe trailer, I'm just hoping that they work with me and make it an easy process.

You may want to research who enforces under-rated trailers in your city/county/state and, if you get pushback from the dealer, be prepared to ask, "Hmmm, I wonder what the [insert said agency here] will have to say about you selling me an under-rated trailer."

Hopefully, you won't have to ask that question, but is sure is good to be prepared in advance.

You may want to research who enforces under-rated trailers in your city/county/state and, if you get pushback from the dealer, be prepared to ask, "Hmmm, I wonder what the [insert said agency here] will have to say about you selling me an under-rated trailer."

Hopefully, you won't have to ask that question, but is sure is good to be prepared in advance.
I tend to agree with this.  I think it is the dealer's full responsibility to ensure you leave with the correct setup.  If they sold you a trailer that is not safe to pull your boat on, they must make it right.  You may have to pay the difference but you should get full credit for the "wrong" trailer they sold you...regardless of how used it is.  You should also get a trailer with support for the third toon.  When I was searching for a trailer for mine I emailed Bennington directly explaining that I had the express tube and asked if I really needed the middle supports.  The reply was direct from their engineers and they did indeed say that it should be supported.  In the end the extra support does not cost that much.  Hopefully you will not get any pushback from the dealer, but if you do, I would not hesitate to let Bennington know about this as well.  This dealer is the Bennington representative for you and I'm sure they would like to know about this kind of thing.  Again, I would only contact Bennington directly if your dealer gives you any flack about making this right.

Thanks everyone! I talked to the dealer last night and they said they are going to fix the problem. They will exchange the trailer, I am just waiting to hear back to see what else they say about difference in cost, etc..

That was a "sun tracker" trailer correct?

Thanks for posting about this. I hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread patcraver.  I went and looked at my trailer tag and it turns out I'm only rated for 3800 pounds. According to the website, my boat is 3120 and dry engine is 608 (3728 total). Add a full tank of gas and I'm up to 4,064. What do you guys think of that? My dealer is notorious for not giving a crap about anything. I imagine the answer will be a simple 'no way' and then they'll point out that my dry weight is within capacity. Anything I can do to really strike some fear into them and get them to help me out with this? Is it really dangerous hauling my boat thousands of miles a year on this setup (13" tires too). 

And when Bennington lists 'hull weight' on the boat page, is that just the hull or does that include all the furniture, rails, helm, etc.? They list the same hull weight for all G 2275's regardless of layout, so it makes me think they aren't really weighing the whole boat. 

Not sure Nick. I would check the weak points and go from there. Decent tires? Good bearings? Brakes? I looked at my trailer online yesterday and it shows a 4300 lb rating. I'm comfortable with that for as much as I tow

This is the Sun Tracker brand trailer. When I bought the boat they assured me is was a quality trailer (I haven't had any problems with it) but it must have been a leftover from someone buying a Sun Tracker that didn't want the trailer since I can't find any information to purchase this brand of trailers separately. I don't need anything great as I keep the boat in the water all summer and I store it at my brothers house about 3 miles from the marina but I still need it to be safe.

And when Bennington lists 'hull weight' on the boat page, is that just the hull or does that include all the furniture, rails, helm, etc.? They list the same hull weight for all G 2275's regardless of layout, so it makes me think they aren't really weighing the whole boat. 
Sometimes the catalog spec for the boats are pretty far off, as they take the base model, then start adding floor plans and options without re-spec'ing them. The ONLY way is to pull it into a truck stop weigh station and weigh the whole setup, then the trailer by itself, subtract the difference. Three pontoons strapped to the the bunks/frame makes the entire package more rigid, so I'd be less concerned about the frame itself. The tires and axles have more impact on the load rating, assuming the frame is solid to begin with.

My Express Tube doesn't require a center toon support, as the center toon is just about 250 lbs.  But a full length tritoon boat with a large fuel tank and a 500 lb. engine on the center toon would need a full length support.

The third support bunks tightened under the center toon would minimize any flexing of the trailer.  Your trailer would probably be okay for your boat as long as it has two 3500 lb. axles.

Sometimes the catalog spec for the boats are pretty far off, as they take the base model, then start adding floor plans and options without re-spec'ing them. The ONLY way is to pull it into a truck stop weigh station and weigh the whole setup, then the trailer by itself, subtract the difference. Three pontoons strapped to the the bunks/frame makes the entire package more rigid, so I'd be less concerned about the frame itself. The tires and axles have more impact on the load rating, assuming the frame is solid to begin with.
We calculated ours before delivery based on the Bennington's hull weight (for proper trailer specification) and then weighed it after to confirm total weight and confirm and adjust our tongue weight. We didn't try the boat by itself but our calculations indicate the hull weight did include the entire boat, minus motor, fuel, gear, etc. However, like Tom said, the listed hull weight will just get you in the ballpark as there are so many options that can throw that off.

We live in a rural area and used a local grain elevator's scale. We avoided their busy time as to not interrupt their business (and to avoid the dust!) but with a quick call to them with the request and a little coordination on time, they were happy to help. Just another option for those who might have an elevator in the area...

HMMM ! A knowing person that resells to an unknowing person may be held accountable when the unknowing person has something like a serious road accident. The paper trail asks why the knowing person may have ignored the known defect. Or, how might the knowing person explain why he/she was pulling an over loaded trailer. BTW, check the ball, receiver and trailer coupler capacity for the trailer GVW as actually loaded.

The boat, motor and trailer can be weighed as a unit on a certified platform scale, then by weighing the trailer separately, the boat weight is known. Subject to the DOT required plate attached to the trailer frame stating weight limitations, the trailer is acceptable or not to carry the vessel weight.

Back