Trailering Speeds

Chris H

Reaction score
How fast can you guys pull your boats before feeling uneasy? I have a 2010 Ram 1500 with a Hemi;the truck has no problem pulling at highway speeds, but the trailer starts drifting back and forth at about 60mph. Defintely not fun considering a lot of the highways in Texas have gone to 75mph speed limits.

I normally pull mine between 55 and 60 and have had it up to 65 all with no problems. However my main roads are all 55 MPH. 60 is about the max where I feel comfortable in traffic on two lane highways.

Verify "safe" speed with trailer manufacturer first. Might be 55.

I've been passed by people with U-Haul trailers stickered 55 max, and they are going 80 plus !!!! :)

I personally would keep it 60 or under.

I pull mine behind my fifth wheel camper up to 70 mph with no problem, do you have enough tounge weight and are your tires inflated properly, and like posted earlier what is the trailer rated for.

And remember only pull at speeds you feel comfortable with. Faster is not always better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pull mine routinely 70mph on interstate for 300 miles with no issues.

Depends on traffic and weather. I typically drive the speed limit on the interstate (70 mph) except when it is busy, or raining, then I'll kick it back depending on how busy or wet. On side two lane roads it's typically the speed limit.

I think the problem may be my tounge weight. How can I make it heavier? Maybe throw a storage bin with a bunch of weight on the front of the trailer?

Move the boat forward.

The part the winch is connected to can be loosened and slid forward. Tighten it, then crank your boat forward with the winch.

I run 65 and it is nice and smooth.

I experienced the same issue. I move the winch bracket/support towards the tongue two inches and it made a huge difference and solved my issue. I constantly pull at 55-60 now with no issues.

Perfect! I'll give that a try when I pickup the boat on Friday. Thanks for your help!

If you get swaying at any speed you have a weight distribution problem. You need to measure the tongue weight to get a starting reference point. Then adjust the boat position. We tow 600 miles thu Michigan at 70+ mph and never have a problem. Also make sure your trailer is level when on the ball. The boat will tow easier and if dual axles you have distributed the weight better on both axles. I see boats slanting uphill and downhill behind tow vehicles.

Semper: We used to rent U-Hauls. The sticker is for U-Hauls' protection and liability. You wreck at 70 mph and try to blame the trailer, they have the out of we told you the safe trailering speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like the sticker on the hair dryer that says "Don't use in shower" !!!! :blink:

Tail is too heavy, move some stuff forward

Moved the boat forward this morning...trailered great to and from the ramp today! I can finally go highway speeds

Better check your trailer and hitch. Trailer swaying is not normal. Your vehicle hitch could be too high or low, I have s

een excessive swaying when the hitch is too high.

Back