Transom well cover

BuckeyeTim

Reaction score
I have found several posts where folks have asked the same question, but no one ever gave them a good answer. Has anyone ever purchased a premade Transom well cover for their Bennington, or possibly even had one made. We have a 2018 R23SB with a 300 hp Merc on the back. The design with the ski pole leaves very little floor space to get around said pole, and unfortunately on Friday we had our second person in the last two years fall into the hole. I would love to find a good permanent metal type plate and a good way to attach said plate, yet still look good, to cover at least 2/3 of this transom hole and allow me to relax and not worry about my passengers or myself the entire time. Thanks in advance.

I have seen many custom made ones but none that are commercially available to the general public / market. Would be a great project, but I think there are too many configurations that mass producing them would be finically impossible to do.

I fear you are right mtudb24. With as many personal injury attorneys as we have in this world, you would think Bennington and all manufacturers would look closer at offering something like this, or even a redesign at the rear end. I can easily cover 2/3 of the hole with zero impact on tilting motor back, hoses, power steering, etc...... Only looking for this in the name of safety. Thanks for your reply.

Here is one of the many I have seen custom made. Thsi one was made out of starboard. I've seen other slated with the Bennington name routered in it

Attachments

• motor well cover.jpg
    motor well cover.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 141
another one I found

Attachments

• Transom pod cover 2.jpg
    Transom pod cover 2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 143
Wow that is perfect. Do you have any idea where to get such a thing made? Did this one mount permanently for when you are doing 45 mph down the lake as well? Thanks and great picture.

I fear you are right mtudb24. With as many personal injury attorneys as we have in this world, you would think Bennington and all manufacturers would look closer at offering something like this, or even a redesign at the rear end. I can easily cover 2/3 of the hole with zero impact on tilting motor back, hoses, power steering, etc...... Only looking for this in the name of safety. Thanks for your reply.

No problelm. I think the issues is with so many styles, engine models, and engine wires / hose configurations, at best you'll need something custom for your specific set up. I'm not sure with any of these, my Mercury 150hp Pro XS at full trim / mooring position, might dive just inside that well a bit with the front corner of the engine cover. It could be used only at anchor with the motor in the water to combat that problem.
Once you get a template, it should be simple for a guy with a CNC machine or a wood worker with a nice router etc to do this.
Todd

Wow that is perfect. Do you have any idea where to get such a thing made? Did this one mount permanently for when you are doing 45 mph down the lake as well? Thanks and great picture.
Not sure. I guess you could do some velcro or something to keep in place. I think my 150 in full trim / tilt up, the front corner of the engine goes into the well, so it would have to be something deployed only during hanging on stationary or at the sand bar etc.
There is a nicer one out there with Bennington carved into, just can't find it at the moment. But I will !!! :)

Looking forward to when you find it. You must be much better at Googling than I am, or have a bit of inside info on where to look as I have found very little anywhere on the internet. Called my local dealer and he had no idea either. Thanks for your input and the photos. Now to find someone somewhere between the Dayton Ohio and Lake Cumberland Kentucky area to fabricate this for me!

The only ones I have seen have been ones people fabricated and made themselves as mtudb has mentioned. Most seem to use some starboard design. I have seen a really nice one made out of SeaDek with Bennington on it too. That one was my fav.

In every case they were things someone posted in a Facebook group (whether Bennington specifically or just pontooning in general). It was alwasy something they did themselves. And in each case they were bombarded by people such as myself with requests of “How much would you charge to make one for me?’ Followed by a reply from them of “Not looking to do others, was just a little project for our boat that I did.”

This said, I have not seen any new examples posted in about 2 years in the groups I’m a part of. I know I would love to have one made of SeaDek with Bennington inscribed into it. To me, that’d be about perfect.

I have worked on this for a while and finally had a cover made locally out of black .75" Starboard HDPE for mine. I have yet to get it installed but I plan to use black angle metal for support, I have a stainless steel piano hinge, some flush latches and a gas shock to prop it up if needed. I did cut out specifically for the engine (Evinrude G2) which I can limit for the tilt height through the electronics.
This is the design I ended up with but did not do the bevels in the slots. My local waterjet company said he would maybe entertain more of these if CAD files can be sent. I used a program called SketchUp (free on the web 3D design) to make my models and exported them as CAD files.

Attachments

• Transom well decking.png
    Transom well decking.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Transom well decking (1).png
    Transom well decking (1).png
    304 KB · Views: 79
I have worked on this for a while and finally had a cover made locally out of black .75" Starboard HDPE for mine. I have yet to get it installed but I plan to use black angle metal for support, I have a stainless steel piano hinge, some flush latches and a gas shock to prop it up if needed. I did cut out specifically for the engine (Evinrude G2) which I can limit for the tilt height through the electronics.
This is the design I ended up with but did not do the bevels in the slots. My local waterjet company said he would maybe entertain more of these if CAD files can be sent. I used a program called SketchUp (free on the web 3D design) to make my models and exported them as CAD files.
Nicely done!!!!!

Hey FeelingMinnesota- I love it. I would be interested in one if your local company is interested or if you could provide their contact info I will call them. Thanks

I wish they sold these premade, I dont have a shop or tools to make one>

Not sure if most of the wells are the same size or not but here are the dimensions for my 2020 SSBXP 21 foot. Maybe just take a tape line to see if they seem right on yours or need adjustment. Keep in mind the motor cutout is specifically for my engine and will most likely change for other engines. For what it's worth, I just used cardboard and cut away until it fit.

Attachments

• Dimensions for transom well cover.pdf
    145.1 KB · Views: 99
FOUND IT

Attachments

• Benningon motor well cover.jpg
    Benningon motor well cover.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 162
Back