Treat mooring cover with 303 water repellent

Pontoon3003

Reaction score
Just bought a used 2020 23SX. Mooring cover in good shape but needed washing badly. Also it allowed water through to seats prior to my purchase. Mildew stains on seats- (clean that up next project). Washed cover in & out sides with 303 Multi Surface Cleaner. Now want to apply 303 Water Repellent after it dries throughly.

Question- should I install the cover on the boat or treat in under my carport where I washed it?

Input appreciated

2020 23SX, Yamaha 115 4 Stroke, Con-Fab Tandem Axle Galvanized Trailer (My 2nd Bennington Pontoon Boat)

Do it in your carport. You will have a real mess when it runs down your side panels

Plus it can damage seats if you apply on the boat. Happened on my last one. Just a note, they are NOT water proof. They WILL allow some water through, especially where they touch the seats. 303 acts more like wax and makes water bead and run off easier.

I laid mine out in our garage. Sprayed it with water repellent then let it dry. Sprayed it again to get the areas I may have missed. Let it dry......

All good input! Thank you!!
Since not “waterproof” should I put something waterproof (Harbor Frght tarp) between the seats and the cover? My concern is further mildew/staining where the cover rests on the seats. Never used the cover on my previous Bennie. It was stored inside- shop now full of tooling.
Again thanks for the advice
DD

All good input! Thank you!!
Since not “waterproof” should I put something waterproof (Harbor Frght tarp) between the seats and the cover? My concern is further mildew/staining where the cover rests on the seats. Never used the cover on my previous Bennie. It was stored inside- shop now full of tooling.
Again thanks for the advice
DD
For what it's worth. I waterproofed my cover with Starbrite, and for the 6 months mine sat outside with the cover on it, it never got a drop of water under the cover. My cover has 4 vents, so ventilation was never a problem either. But I don't cover mine at all since fall of 22. It's in a fully enclosed steel building built just for it.

For what it's worth. I waterproofed my cover with Starbrite, and for the 6 months mine sat outside with the cover on it, it never got a drop of water under the cover. My cover has 4 vents, so ventilation was never a problem either. But I don't cover mine at all since fall of 22. It's in a fully enclosed steel building built just for it.
I've used both the 303 Fabric Guard water repellent and the Starbrite Waterproofing. While I love the 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl seats, the Starbrite Waterproofing outperforms the 303 Fabric Guard.

I've used both the 303 Fabric Guard water repellent and the Starbrite Waterproofing. While I love the 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl seats, the Starbrite Waterproofing outperforms the 303 Fabric Guard.
I concur the Starbrite outperforms 303 in this application - I applied both to the same cover to arrive at this conclusion.

I used up the last of my 303 this past year on our new cover. Plan to switch over and try out the Starbrite this upcoming year per the recommendations of so many others on here. That said, the 303 did do its job on our Bennington and SeaDoo covers the past few years. I have tended to reapply about every other year. No rhyme or reason. Just seems to be my pattern. Both got it this past year with the last of my 303.

Back