UPDATE: 42 MPH - 24 SSL - Need some prop help!

?

Thinking of selling my GW to buy a Tri- toon. What's your boat like in the afternoon chop on Charlotte Harbor? Can you take it out to cabbage Key/ Cayo Costa

Thanks for any insight you may offer regarding tritoons on the harbor.
Thought it time to share the rest of this story since I just took delivery of a 2013 RCW...

When I finally moved to pgi, I contacted tcpip95 and he graciously took me for a ride on his Benny. I was amazed how well the toon handled the chop on Charlotte Harbor.

The interesting part of the story is that when I contacted him, he was at the store and he asked me if I knew were a certain street was ( he was 5 minutes away from home) and it turns out it was the street that my street turns off of. When I heard the street name I asked if he happened to have a yellow pontoon? He did. Turns out he lives 4 doors down from me and I hadn't made it down the street that far yet to realize it was a yellow Benny down the canal. Talk about the internet making things a small world :)

Anyway, tcpip95 has been a great help and gone above and beyond the call of duty. THANKS J.!

Aw shucks :)

Thanks Ron.

In a couple weeks I will be taking possession of my 2013 22slx with a sports performance package and a 150 Yamaha. Can't wait until it is broken in so I can see what it will do.

Look at the motor manual when you get it. Break-in for my Mercury 115 said to go wide-open throttle for 1 minute out of each 10 minute period for the first 2 hours.

Not sure what Yamaha says, but if it's the same as Mercury, you will be able to see what it can do right away!

Oh, and post that here. I'm interested to see what you get. Does the sports package come fully straked or do you add those?

What is the break-in period for my new four-stroke Yamaha Outboard?

New engines require a period of break-in to allow the mating surfaces of moving parts to mate evenly. Correct break-in, as described in your Owners Manual, will help your outboard provide proper performance and longer engine life. Yamahas four-stroke engines have a 10-hour break-in period as follows:

FOUR STROKE OUTBOARDS

Interval Procedure

1st Hour Operate the engine at varying speeds up to 2000 rpms or approximately 1/2 throttle.

2nd Hour Increase the engine speed until the boat is on plane (but avoid full throttle operaton) and then back off on the throttle while keeping the boat at a planing speed.

Next 8 Hours Run the engine at any speed however avoid operating at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.

After the 1st 10 Hours Operate the engine normally.

The break-in maintenance is at 20 hours. For the 10 hours after the break-in and before the service you can operate the engine normally.

I would rather have extra power and not use it than want extra power and not have it.

Amen to that.

Just got over 12 hours on the motor so decided to open it up a bit. Here's my specs:

- 24 SSL

- 32" ellipticals

- lifting strakes

- underside wave shield

- rough water package

- bimini top open

- extended aft deck

- 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke

- 14.5 x 15 SS prop

- 41.8 MPH @ 6000 RPM

- Charlotte Harbor, FL

- salt water

- 88 deg air temp

- 84 deg water temp

- 10 mph wind

- light chop

Perfect!

So now that the cat is out of the bag regarding my switch from the dual ellipticals to the tritoon SPS, I've also seen a noticable difference in RPMs at WOT.  The highest RPMs that I can get up to is about 5200 now.  If I trim it  WAY up I can get to about 5700, but I take a significant hit in speed.  I never learned what the difference in weight was in going from the two ellipticals to the three 25" toons, plus I know that I've added significant drag to the boat by virtue of the 3rd toon, as well as losing the hydrodynamic advantages that the ellipticals have over the circular pontoons.

I tried an Advantage II 14 1/4d x 13p SS, which increased by RPMs but then I took a loss in speed as well.

Would love some advice/suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 24SSLX has the Express Tube, but it's setup properly for the Reliance 15" prop.  It's 3/4 inch raised--or one notch-- the engine being sitting down on the transom.  May not be the same for the SPS, but for the ESP the engine height works well.  I'm seeing exactly 6000 rpm's at 40 mph.

And you're right about it taking a lot of positive trim to get the nosecones out of the water.  I can really feel the wind lifting the nose of the boat over 30 mph.

I ordered the Yamaha Ultima 4 14.25 x 13 4-blade prop today and will give that a try.  Not going to go "prop-crazy" but expect I should see my RPMs go up, and the 4th blade should push me a little better.  Right now I'm seeing about 20% slip with my Reliance prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run an S series with SPS and consistently see 41@ 5400rpm with  a 15-1/2" X 15p Rebel prop. No matter what prop I've tried.(4 of them!) have never hit the 5800 mark yet! Happy with the performance and fuel usage of this one so I'll run with this until something else blows up my skirt!

adk, you're running a different motor (Evinrude 200HP) so not quite apples-to-apples.

Back