UPDATE: 42 MPH - 24 SSL - Need some prop help!

tcpip95

Reaction score
Just got over 12 hours on the motor so decided to open it up a bit. Here's my specs:

- 24 SSL

- 32" ellipticals

- lifting strakes

- underside wave shield

- rough water package

- bimini top open

- extended aft deck

- 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke

- 14.5 x 15 SS prop

- 41.8 MPH @ 6000 RPM

- Charlotte Harbor, FL

- salt water

- 88 deg air temp

- 84 deg water temp

- 10 mph wind

- light chop

Perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got over 12 hours on the motor so decided to open it up a bit. Here's my specs:

- 24 SSL

- 32" ellipticals

- lifting strakes

- underside wave shield

- rough water package

- bimini top open

- extended aft deck

- 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke

- 14.5 x 15 SS prop

- 41.8 MPH @ 6000 RPM

- Charlotte Harbor, FL

- salt water

- 88 deg air temp

- 84 deg water temp

- 10 mph wind

- light chop

Perfect!
Very Nice :)

Nice! But its making me rethink my purchase decisions...

That sounds just about right. We hit 44 with minimal load with our mercury pro xs. It's lighter then the 4 stroke and has a bit more hp. We are turning a 15x15 enertia prop at 5700 rpm. I think your boat might be a bit lighter the our R series too. Congrats on your purchase. Hope you enjoy many years with her.

Kaydano _ what don't you like???

Todd

I hate to say, since it's been said here about a THOUSAND times... But I'll try... Here goes... This is gonna be hard... Okay... I shoulda bought the bigger 150. There. I said it.

Also, I would have looked harder at the ellipticals with strakes instead of express with strakes.

I'm not unhappy about it. Just sayin. Maybe someone else reading this will think twice...

Go ahead. I'm waiting for the "I told you so" to start.

Apreciate you saying it Kaydano, I am still waiting on mine, it is not yet rigged with the 115 I ordered. After spending what I did I kind of hate putting another $2000 into the motor and then the power steering when I have always said that we generally cruise around 15mph. But you still make me worry and it is not too late.

Just saying I don't want to hear "I told you so"

Kaydano,

I think more people are in the same boat as you are.

Once the dust settles from my move, I'll weigh my options to improve my situation.

I'm currently torn between adding the express tube and upgrading to 150hp, trading in on a new RCW with ESP, or buying another jet ski (I just sold my 1 yr old Seadoo for a big loss). I now know why Eric always says "It'll never be cheaper than it is right now". All of these options will set me back some coin!

It's funny to read my own posts. Three posts above I'm saying I kinda wish I'd've gotten the 150...

For the last 6 years (up until buying this boat last fall) we had been on a waiting list for a slip in a state park with a really nice lake. Slips were very limited, and in high demand. Not a very crowded lake at all, since it has a 9.9 horse limit and also because there's a big reservoir next door for the big engines and jet skis.

A 9.9 horse limit! I was fine for YEARS with the idea of a big pontoon boat with just a 9.9 hanging off the back. Loved the idea of not doing much more than floating around (which is about what you get with 9.9 horse - you really have to be careful if it's windy - you might not make it back to the dock). I was anticipating my heart rate dropping to just high enough to be alive. I was thinking top speed meant only having to go back to the helm to do a course correction every 15 minutes or so...

So what do we do? Spend $15k MORE than we thought we would, get a 115 HP motor instead of a 9.9 HP, and now I'm talking like I wish I had bought a 150 HP!

Is that hilarious or what???

I completely understand. I always want something bigger and better than I have now.

I too labored long and hard on my configuration. I remember reading a long time ago about buying something very expensive that went kind of like "you will get over the remorse of spending too much money on something much quicker than you will over the remorse of not getting what you really wanted", and so I made up my mind to get what I wanted. It was a couple grand more, but to me it was well worth it. The first time I opened it up I forgot all about that "couple grand more" :D .

I now have a boat that I am comfortable running down to the Florida Keys in without the nagging fear that I might be under powered. I'm putting in a 19 gallon aux fuel tank behind the lounger, and have added dual batteries, fixed VHF radio, NMEA 2000 network for engine data, 10 gallon washdown shower, spare prop kit. In short, I got the boat that I dreamed of. You can't get any better than that! B)

It has been said many times....no one ever wishes they bought a smaller motor. I thought hard but not too long about a 115 vs a 150 with power steering and the three toons with the performance package. After 15 hours running up to the mid 30s (still need to do the final speed runs) I'm glad I did the package we did. Steering can be literally done with one finger and we have negotiated some very large boat waves at over 20 with nary a drop or spray on board. Hard turns are simple with no blow out and virtually no drop inRPM. I have had up to 8 persons and a full 30 gallons on board and can still do 30. In short i am glad we did the 150. On our lake they seem to be today's rigor on 22 footers as are the tri's.

bought my first boat last August. Opted for the Yamaha 150. Glad I did. I spend my days pulling my girls on a tube! Wanted it to be exciting enough!!

Heading out to the lake today!!

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

I was looking at the 24' Benningtons Friday afternoon, and the dealer was pushing the 150 hp Yamaha engines. He also carries Suzuki, ETEC and Mercury engines. Said he's only ever had one Yamaha 150 hp warranty claim out of all his sold, and that engine was used in salt water. The best hull combinations were not in stock (5 boats), and prices posted were out of the ball park.

My local boat dealer and one 35 miles away are selling Lowe tritoons with the Merc. 150 Fourstrokes for very reasonable prices. But the seats are just so uncomfortable--nix them.

Fortunately, I have 2 other Bennington dealers within 85 miles, and someone will be willing to be more reasonable on cost. I plan to order the twin ellipticals with lifting strakes later in the year--Bennington's fastest hull combination in a straight line. When you compare quality of the upholstery, even my wife is impressed.

- 24 SSL

- 32" ellipticals

- lifting strakes

- underside wave shield

- rough water package

- bimini top open

- extended aft deck

- 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke

- 14.5 x 15 SS prop

- 41.8 MPH @ 6000 RPM

- Charlotte Harbor, FL

- salt water

- 88 deg air temp

- 84 deg water temp

- 10 mph wind

- light chop

Perfect!
?Thinking of selling my GW to buy a Tri- toon. What's your boat like in the afternoon chop on Charlotte Harbor? Can you take it out to cabbage Key/ Cayo Costa

Thanks for any insight you may offer regarding tritoons on the harbor.

?

Thinking of selling my GW to buy a Tri- toon. What's your boat like in the afternoon chop on Charlotte Harbor? Can you take it out to cabbage Key/ Cayo Costa

Thanks for any insight you may offer regarding tritoons on the harbor.
Ron,

We run down to Cabbage Key and Cayo Costa all the time. Have run up the ICW to Sarasota and down to Fort Myers without any problems. Will be running down to the keys next year once I get a good feel for the boat. We were out one day in a particularly rough patch down around Cape Haze, and we had a guy with a 250 hp on the back of a Grady-White that passed us. I turned and rolled up on him in his wake and he couldn't believe his eyes! Here was this bright yellow pontoon boat keeping up with him at about 30 mph - he actually did a double-take. (That wasn't you, was it? LOL).

Down around Cayo Costa it can get a bit bumpy, but nothing that it can't handle. I've been out in a tritoon (granted, it was an older model) and it submarined on me a couple of times. I've never even gotten wet in my 24SSL. Even with a following sea, it doesn't stick it's nose in the water. I'm really happy with the config of my boat with the ellipticals and lifting strakes.

Kaydano, just a note for the people you may know stuck on a 9.9 limit lake...years ago a friend's dad made a lot of extra dollars hopping up 9.9's to around 18 hp. I know what I would do if I had a 9.9 limit! Steve

Kaydano, just a note for the people you may know stuck on a 9.9 limit lake...years ago a friend's dad made a lot of extra dollars hopping up 9.9's to around 18 hp. I know what I would do if I had a 9.9 limit! Steve
Can he make a 150 out of a 115?

Can he make a 150 out of a 115?
Nope, a friend of mine has the 115hp Merc. We did some looking at engine specs, and 115 is the most you can get out of that block. 75,90 and 115hp's.

Now, that's not to say that you can't have your ecu reprogrammed, there are folks out there that will do that for you for around $600.00, but you should wait till it's out of warranty.

Back