Upgrading from Sea Star Hydraulic Steering to Power Assist Hydraulic Steering

Eagle 1

Reaction score
Does the $2,347 "Power-Assist Steering (part # 900438) that is powered by an electronically controlled hydraulic pump connected to the SeaStar System" only include the electronically controlled hydraulic pump plus installation, or does it also include the SeaStar System itself (that I already own and is included in my SPS 200 package) in which case the upgrade should be significantly discounted?

I purchased the Sea Star Hydraulic Steering with a 150 HP Yamaha and now I feel I should have gone with the upgrade to the Power Assist Hydraulic Steering instead.  Since I purchased the 2014 Bennington 2375 GCW with 150 HP Yamaha (I love the boat, by the way) I have noted a little difficulty with steering on hard turns (exactly as predicted on the Bennington Web site).  

The Build Your Boat Screen on the Bennington Web Site suggests that the $2,347 "Power-Assist Steering (part # 900438) is powered by an electronically controlled hydraulic pump connected to the SeaStar System."  

It is not clear whether the wording of this description above only includes the additional electronic pump or whether it also includes a second SeaStar System itself (part # 900033) which is already included  as part of my SPORT PERFORMANCE SYSTEM (SPS 200 with transom fuel).  I presumed (perhaps mistakenly) that the above description also included the SeaStar System itself (which I already have) and so I concluded that all I would need is the additional electronically controlled hydraulic pump (plus the labor) so it can be connected to the SeaStar System that is already installed on my boat.   Therefore, I also concluded that the price for the upgrade would be the difference between the $2,347 price for the Power-Assist Steering (part # 900438) and the $1,142 price for the Steering--Sea Star Hydraulic (part # 900033) that has already been installed in my boat as included with my SPS 200 option.   So I thought I would only have to pay just $1,205 for the Power Assist upgrade.  But my dealer says I would have to pay for the entire $2,347 for the upgrade, even though I already own the SeaStar System.   (If this is true, then I will forgo the Power Assist upgrade.  I'm willing to pay $1,205 for the upgrade, but $2,437 for the upgrade is a bit much.)

I have emailed my boat dealer and he seems to be telling me that I need to pay the entire $2,347 for the upgrade, but his emails have never made it clear about whether part #900438 only includes the electronically controlled hydraulic pump or whether it also includes a "second" SeaStar System.  I just want to be clear about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have either, but pretty sure you would just need the pump for $1000-ish. I have priced these out aftermarket and I'll be adding the Seastar system for sure, but not the power steering pump.

You just need the Power Steering Assist pump and a hose kit to finish adding power steering.

You're talking more like $1350 (EBay.com) plus a little over $100 for the hose kit. 

A second battery installation is also something you might want to consider on any boat with Sea Star and power steering assist.  They are pretty power hungry.

The MSRP for it is $2347. That is just the power steering pump. It's easy to tell if you go to the build a boat and don't choose any other options, scroll down to power steering and click on it. It will automatically also check off the hydraulic steering and the price of the boat goes up accordingly for BOTH options being added. As was stated, you might be able to find it cheaper out on the World Wide Web, but your dealer should be able to give you a bit better deal.

I added it to our boat and it's not that bad a job if you're mechanically inclined. I bought a used pump (got lucky) and a couple of hoses. Had a bracket made and the hardest part was snaking the harness back to the battery, but it wasn't that bad. There are pics in my gallery. How far is Wake Forrest from Lake Norman?

Thanks Derrick.  I just tried that and you were right.  $2,347 is a lot of money for an upgrade for this.

Carl, it is about 2 hours and 40 minutes from us to Lake Norman, or about 139 miles.  And I am not mechanically inclined.  

If you were closer I would install it for you. Do you have a trailer? We could do it during the off season.

Carl,

Thank you so much for the offer, Carl, but I don't have a trailer.  Currently, we are storing our boat in the high-dry storage facility at Satterwhite Point Marina at Kerr Lake, NC  When I retire, we will have the boat shipped to Lake Norman, hopefully to be accepted by the Lake Norman Marina into their High-Dry Storage facility.

We look forward to seeing you then.

Well, hurry up and retire.              :D

Back