Upgrading to a new motor

Steky

Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of purchasing a new motor. I have a 04 model 2275 RL with a 90 hp Honda OB. Boat is in excellent shape and I'm thinking about going to a 135 Hp Honda. Will cost about 10k all said and done. I wonder if it's worth putting that into an older boat or trade up to a newer model boat.

Thanks

Do you “need” a new boat, or “want” a new boat. Price out your desired boat and options first, as that may answer your question for you.

My 2cents, trade up.With a Benny you should see decent resale. If your on big water up the hp. As they like to say “buy your last boat,first!”

My feelings: sell your 04 and buy new with Yamaha 150.

I think you'll be shocked at what your 04 is worth. I'd sell and get a new one with 10 year warranty. I don't think you'll see much difference jumping to a 135 on a two toon boat.

No issues with “wanting” a new Bennington. You’ve come to the right place to help spend your money ... we will definitely help you in that scenario ... ;):D

Personally, I doubt you'd be very happy with the performance increase that $10K will get you on your current boat. However, I think you'll equally be a bit surprised at how much a new boat costs these days. Like others have stated, some of that shock can be lessened by the resale value of your Benny. Then again, you just might find that you're actually pretty happy with what you have!

Whatever you ultimately decide, welcome to the forum!

I agree with all of the above! See what your boat is worth, contact your dealer see what they will give you for trade in, put the boat on consignment with them or on Craigslist. Then price out what your interested in purchasing, we will then spend your money on a new boat. Ha! Ha! Ha! Take your time ! Good Luck !

Personally, I doubt you'd be very happy with the performance increase that $10K will get you on your current boat. However, I think you'll equally be a bit surprised at how much a new boat costs these days. Like others have stated, some of that shock can be lessened by the resale value of your Benny. Then again, you just might find that you're actually pretty happy with what you have!

Whatever you ultimately decide, welcome to the forum!
You are right, the old boat looked alot better after visiting the dealer....lol

I also don't believe that you will see a dramatic performance increase going from a 90 to a 135HP, at least not $10,000 worth. I also think your best option is selling and buying a new pontoon and I would suggest the 200HP or you will be in the same position of wanting a larger motor in a few more years

It's true that re-power has gone by the wayside when you figure out what a new motor costs and what it might cost to buy a new boat. However I would seriously look at how many hours per year you use your boat and then figure out if you would really get your moneys worth when you purchase a new boat, or if it would be better to spend the money on a new motor. Doesn't take long these days to get to $60k on a well equipt boat and then finance for 15 years to get to your payment you are comfortable with (the minority of boat buyers pay cash). In regards to a motor if you were looking to see a performance change going from 90 to 135 then look at an Evinrude, they will have way more torque and better performance, all the other manufacturers will perform very similar to your Honda from a performance standpoint. The Evinrude will make the boat a different drive.

It's true that re-power has gone by the wayside when you figure out what a new motor costs and what it might cost to buy a new boat. However I would seriously look at how many hours per year you use your boat and then figure out if you would really get your moneys worth when you purchase a new boat, or if it would be better to spend the money on a new motor. Doesn't take long these days to get to $60k on a well equipt boat and then finance for 15 years to get to your payment you are comfortable with (the minority of boat buyers pay cash). In regards to a motor if you were looking to see a performance change going from 90 to 135 then look at an Evinrude, they will have way more torque and better performance, all the other manufacturers will perform very similar to your Honda from a performance standpoint. The Evinrude will make the boat a different drive.

I think the other motor manufacturers make great motors also.

Back