Virus from clicking on this site

crvtt

Reaction score
I always find the site by typing Bennington Forum into google.  It takes me to some sort of urlinfo site, I'd hit the back button, then it'd let me through when I clicked again.  Turned out that ended up giving me a virus.  I installed Avast virus protection and it tells me it blocked a virus before logging me into the site.   It's done that on my ipad and my Galaxy phone as well as my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned it in another post but didn't hear anything. The malware is definitely still there.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/3647-uploads/?p=43355

Hey Team Bennington! So long as you have a little work to do on the server (I'm guessing this is a mod security error), you may want to upgrade/patch the IP Board forum software running on the site. There is malicious code (malware) injected into the forum software that takes users that click through from search engines to a spam site called 'url 4 short dot info'. I deliberately typed that out so it wouldn't become a link.

Easy way to test it, do a google search for something you know will pop up on this site like "bennington dog ramp". Click on the result for this site and if it's the first time you've done a search and clicked through here in a bit, then you'll get redirected to the spam site. Subsequent clicks work fine and don't get redirected. I did some research tonight and found this was a security flaw in IPB (the software this board uses). If it doesn't work first time, try a different browser. IPB issued a patch for it in December 2012. More info on that here (there may be more current patches):

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/375885-ipboard-31x-32x-33x-34x-critical-security-update/

Some users on their site report the problem persisting after the patch, if that happens, this might work:

http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2013/01/15/cleaning-up-the-ip-board-url4short-mess/

I doubt that any of us are at much risk by this malicious code (although I'm no expert), but it certainly turns away a lot of potential traffic. I frequently use google to search the forum using 'site:club.benningtonmarine.com' syntax and it drives me crazy that I know the first link I click every time goes to that spam site.

I've never had a problem but I have the forum in a favorites list and just click.

I never really had a problem either............but there are a couple things I stilI can't do............I can't "quote" another member where it shows up in the reply to this topic box and it won't let me use the image link in the reply to this topic box...........

I never really had a problem either............but there are a couple things I stilI can't do............I can't "quote" another member where it shows up in the reply to this topic box and it won't let me use the image link in the reply to this topic box...........
Daril I have the same issue on my pc. I have to click the plain text box (or something like that)

I can quote using my iphone or iPad though??

Never had the virus issue though. Are you sure it's not autocorrecting to the site you used previously? I've had that happen. The auto "fill in" would have the incorrect address in the web address bar.

For those of you without the virus issue, have you tried clicking through from a google search result like mentioned above and seeing if you get hit with the redirect to the malware site? That's the only time I get it. I haven't gotten any viruses that I know of, but it still is happening to me as of today. 

Hello All,
yes, there has been a breech in the software.  We were alerted last week of this and fixed it once.  Seems it is back.  We will fix this again.

To  my knowlege, there is no virus on this site.

They hijack the search engine to reply a different URL when searching for this forum.  When you click on that search link, it sends you to an arroneous page.

If you have this page bookmarked, you will always come here.  There is a problem ONLY when you use a search engine to find this page.

Will post when we have this fixed again.

Happend to me a few times using a different computer, i just thought it was that computer doing it, and didn't think much of it.

It has not affected my daily use computer.

It happened to me when I first joined, around February. I thought it was from clicking on a member's Photobucket link they provided in a thread!

Hasn't happened since as I have the forum as a "favorite" like Carl.

Virus, so that is  what caused this rash....

Just kidding, probably the competition trying to take down this great site! We're selling too many Bennington's on here!

OK we have fixed the link again so the search engines will direct you to this page.

Now we are updating the software.  Let us know if this happens again.

ENJOY!

Same here Semp............I can do everything from our IPAD but have the problems on our PC. Whew! Thought I was the only one!

Team Bennington - I'm getting directed to the spam site again when visiting the site from search results. Looks like the problem is still in there. 

Back