Want to add topside fuel tank

tcpip95

Reaction score
I'm looking to add an additional fuel tank to my new 24 SSL for extended cruising. I'd like to add something like a 26 gallon Moeller tank but don't know where to put it. I was thinking of putting it behind/inside the double lounger seat back but don't know if I'd be creating a safety issue. I'm also concerned with the tremendous amount of weight that it would have when full and what that would do to Center of Buoyancy.

Any of you guys have ideas on a solution? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The tank in your link can not be mounted in an enclosed compartment. In order to mount a tank in an enclosed area, the tank will need an external fill and vent. Along with ventilation for the compartment.

Or, you may consider plumbing the two tanks together. One fill neck should serve both tanks. The daughter/auxilary tank will gravity fill simultaneous as the main tank is filling. The auxiiliary vent line would "T" into the original vent line. The auxilary tank will draw down/fill up equally subject to the plumbing connection being at the bottom of both tanks. However, if the hose "humps" up/over in the middle of the two tank connection, the auxilary tank may not draw down completely..... Note: Use Ethonal spec. hose and fittings. Use two good SS clamps at each connection. The fuel gauge will work normal, it is measuring gravity level as it was before adding the new tank.

The new tank will not be as tall as the original tank, therefore safe-gaurding against risk of overflow or air lock. That is, subject to the vent line on the new tank coming out on tank top and the fill/draw line coming out the bottom/side or as low as possible.

(Gas wt. is 6.5#/ gallon= X) 6.5 x 26 = 169 lbs. + tank

Good Luck

You're already carrying a substantial amount of fuel, and it's doubtful that you'll often need more than 26 gallons.

Have you priced out a big Moeller tank which is permanently installed? It's very expensive. You'd also need an A-B valve to switch tanks.

On my pontoon boat, I use two Moeller 12 gallon portable tanks and a 6 gallon factory metal tank. If my engine sputters, I just switch over to the metal tank which will get me home from anywhere on my 16 mile long lake. These tanks allow me to completely empty my fuel at season's end--no bad gas is left over.

I also would like to do some long distance touring on the Tennessee River. There's no stretch along the way where 26 gallons won't get you to the next available boat dock. I have 4 five gallon plastic tanks used to ferry gasoline from the local gas station ($1.50 per gallon less than on the lake.) I would be using those tanks if I needed to carry more fuel on board.

I'm looking to cruise from Marco Island to Marathon, FL. That's a 90 mile run in good weather with no fuel available in between. Hence the need for the additional fuel. Would link the two tanks together with A/B switch/valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 27 gallon tank with all the fittings and tie downs plus the A/B valve would run you $400 uninstalled. It would also add 200 lbs. to your boat.

I'd suggest that you just carry a number of 5 gallon plastic fuel tanks as extra fuel. They're inexpensive and very useful to have around the old boathouse/dock.

There was a good article online about an Avalon or Tahoe tritoon running from Miami to Bimini. I think it was in the manufacturer's website at one time.

There was another great article online about how a gentleman ran "The Great Circle" in a high horsepower tritoon boat--beating every speed record. He had to get out into the ocean when the inland waterway was unavailable (around New Jersey.) I don't think he even got that much sleep--since he was out for a record.

Back