Water under my seats

nonboater

Reaction score
I have SX23 Benningon 2019 45 hours, every time rains I get water under the drive's console and all the seats. Last year when I pulled my boat out for the winter I noticed there was water in my Pontoons (all three). I took it into the dealer and they replaced all three toons. The water under the seat started after toons where replaced. Could this have happened when the toons where swapped. See the photos below, when I poor water into the drain in red, the water runs out and down the column on to the floor of the storage compartment. This happens with every drain under the seats. My service manager told me these where vents not drains. Also the two drains on top of the driver's console have not tubbing connected and just drain into the console.

water leaks.PNG

I attached clear tubing to mine, I assumed they were overlooked.

I attached clear tubing to mine, I assumed they were overlooked.
I have SX23 Benningon 2019 45 hours, every time rains I get water under the drive's console and all the seats. Last year when I pulled my boat out for the winter I noticed there was water in my Pontoons (all three). I took it into the dealer and they replaced all three toons. The water under the seat started after toons where replaced. Could this have happened when the toons where swapped. See the photos below, when I poor water into the drain in red, the water runs out and down the column on to the floor of the storage compartment. This happens with every drain under the seats. My service manager told me these where vents not drains. Also the two drains on top of the driver's console have not tubbing connected and just drain into the console.

I have the same holes drilled in the seat supports. Rain drains through them onto the floor and does collect under the seats on the floor, but it drains away or dries up quite quickly. Of note, the cup holders on the driver side have drain tubing that goes through the floor. The cupholders on the port side drained onto the plywood just below them which was continually wet - which I didn't like. So, I drilled holes in the plywood an attached tubing to drain the water onto the deck so it can then flow away.

I had to realign my drain holes and put a small screw in. I got the idea from here. But there is also the situation where the area between the two cushions doesn't have a drain, some water will just run into the seat base.

Gentlemen if I had water under the seats/console I would try to figure out why/how it's getting under there in the first place. Is there a hole in the cover or is it going through a seam or something?!? I have been lucky to have a couple of mooring covers that keeps our boat relatively dry. Oh sure some water gets in with a heavy downpour but I never had water under the seats or console. Lucky I guess.....

I have the same holes drilled in the seat supports. Rain drains through them onto the floor and does collect under the seats on the floor, but it drains away or dries up quite quickly. Of note, the cup holders on the driver side have drain tubing that goes through the floor. The cupholders on the port side drained onto the plywood just below them which was continually wet - which I didn't like. So, I drilled holes in the plywood an attached tubing to drain the water onto the deck so it can then flow away.
I should have added that I often do not cover my boat. The Bimini mostly covers the back seats and I have custom covers for the two captains chairs and the console. The front seats are seldom covered.
Boats are meant to get wet!

I should have added that I often do not cover my boat. The Bimini mostly covers the back seats and I have custom covers for the two captains chairs and the console. The front seats are seldom covered.
I gotcha.....

Well then, by your own admission, boats are meant to get wet! if you want it to be dry, I guess put the cover on. Sorry, I don't have a lot of help with the drain holes, but since you said it worked before you had the tools replaced , seems as though your dealer needs to fix if one of the other members don't have an easy diy solution

There should be small holes in the floor of the seat base for the water to drain out Bear in mind only so much water can drain out and any low spots are still going to have a little bit of water remain, like around your screws, in the corners etc. It’s not going to drain completely dry.

Last edited:

View attachment 30740

I would be thrilled with this amount of water under my seats! On my port front seat where the garbage can goes I get probably a gallon of water if it storms really bad here, like it has been. Rather frustrating but we are out on the boat every couple of days so all in all it is not that much of an issue for me. I plan on having Bennington look into this over the winter along with a couple other oddities - If I get resolution I will certainly share.

Does anybody have pictures of the drain holes in the seat bases. Mine does not have any and when I talk to the dealer I would like as much info as possible
The holes are at the bases of those "columns", which then drain out to the floor. The holes in the "seat collector" drain at the top drain into those columns.

See pictures, hope this helps.

For what it's worth, this design for the lower drains doesn't work if the boat is pitched aft. I'm not even sure how these are supposed to work - they may actually allow a path for water to get IN!

00276BB3-B41C-4FEB-83A7-FE2946AA1D7B.jpeg
54E26C84-E46D-4863-94F1-5772950A0394.jpeg
5C2A1953-4F66-4FD4-83BE-8F36DBF5E6A6.jpeg
EF53574B-DEC8-4593-8777-E2D0A6407826.jpeg

Back