Welcome to Club Bennington

How long does the sharkhide last?  I just called my dealer and he said it only lasts for 2 -3 years and then you have to re-apply.   He offered off an acid washing in the off season as an alternative.  Thoughts?   

When I purchased my 1st Bennington in 2013 it was suggested here that I get it .

I did and never regretted it .

I am going to  reapply every 2 years .

You said he "offered " does that mean he is paying ? :D

Sharkhide. With that you can power wash yourself and scrub during the season. The other, PIA to clean yourself.

I powerwash my toons myself when it comes out in the fall.  I pay to have the sharkhide reapplied every spring, might be overkill but I feel better having it done

When I purchased my 1st Bennington in 2013 it was suggested here that I get it .

I did and never regretted it .

I am going to  reapply every 2 years .

You said he "offered " does that mean he is paying ? :D
Yes... They offered to pick up the tab. I also have the option of changing the flooring and looking for input. I have the Nutmeg Aqua Teak and it's very hot. They are overnighting some samples of the sea grass, linin and bamboo. I am just looking for something nice and a little cooler.

Landscaper that is an awfully generous dealer, he certainly is doing everything in his power to make you happy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes... They offered to pick up the tab. I also have the option of changing the flooring and looking for input. I have the Nutmeg Aqua Teak and it's very hot. They are overnighting some samples of the sea grass, linin and bamboo. I am just looking for something nice and a little cooler.
Not trying to be a wise guy ,how do you know they offered to pay for "his" acid wash ?

He offered off an acid washing in the off season as an alternative.  Thoughts?   

Landscaper that is an awfully generous dealer, he certainly is doing everything in his power to make you happy. 
It's actually Bennington in Indiana. My boat is there having the floor replaced under a warranty issue.

+2

Just to be fair. Az in the sun all day and Iowa (Midwest) in the sun all day are two totally different things. Very rarely can we cook eggs on the side walk. Almost everyday in Az they can.

Ha ha!  When I was 12, my mom swore it was hot enough to cook eggs on the driveway.  It was majorly hot out.  Well over 100.  So, we cracked an egg on the driveway late afternoon.  Our house didn't have A/C except for a basement window A/C, so we often ate supper downstairs.  During supper, I went up to the kitchen to get salt/pepper, and ran out to the garage, fired up the little LP torch, and cooked the egg.  Just enough around the edges to turn it a little white.  The joke wouldn't stick if I burned it.  I quickly put the torch away, ran back downstairs, and kept eating.  Mom was clueless.  Dad knew I was gone too long and figured it out.  When mom went upstairs, he said "you cooked that egg didn't you?"  We laughed about it.

Later that night my mom was outside and saw the egg half baked.  She was ecstatic.  "I told you it was hot enough to cook an egg on the driveway" she yelled.  We had a lot fun with it.  She was beside herself.  I decided to just let her think it worked, and not ever tell her I cooked it a bit with the torch.  I figured I'd tell her someday, maybe years down the road. 

The next day I was babysitting next door, and my dad calls and says you better get home and tell mom you cooked that egg because she called channel 9 news and they are coming out to do a story (in Iowa this sort of thing makes the local news).  She was outside waiting for them when I ran out, so I yelled from the neighbors back yard (I was babysitting) and told her what I did and then ran back into their house and locked the door.  She was PISSED.  She called the news station back and told them what happened.  They wanted to come out anyway because they thought it was funny (kid fools mom cooking egg on driveway) but they ended up not coming out.

So, Jared is right, it is rare to cook eggs on the side walk in Iowa.  Unless you have a propane torch.

Great story there Dan! Way to step up your game from the fake poo prank typically played on mothers!

If your son takes after you, you will get yours lakeliving

Ha ha!  When I was 12, my mom swore it was hot enough to cook eggs on the driveway.  It was majorly hot out.  Well over 100.  So, we cracked an egg on the driveway late afternoon.  Our house didn't have A/C except for a basement window A/C, so we often ate supper downstairs.  During supper, I went up to the kitchen to get salt/pepper, and ran out to the garage, fired up the little LP torch, and cooked the egg.  Just enough around the edges to turn it a little white.  The joke wouldn't stick if I burned it.  I quickly put the torch away, ran back downstairs, and kept eating.  Mom was clueless.  Dad knew I was gone too long and figured it out.  When mom went upstairs, he said "you cooked that egg didn't you?"  We laughed about it.

Later that night my mom was outside and saw the egg half baked.  She was ecstatic.  "I told you it was hot enough to cook an egg on the driveway" she yelled.  We had a lot fun with it.  She was beside herself.  I decided to just let her think it worked, and not ever tell her I cooked it a bit with the torch.  I figured I'd tell her someday, maybe years down the road. 

The next day I was babysitting next door, and my dad calls and says you better get home and tell mom you cooked that egg because she called channel 9 news and they are coming out to do a story (in Iowa this sort of thing makes the local news).  She was outside waiting for them when I ran out, so I yelled from the neighbors back yard (I was babysitting) and told her what I did and then ran back into their house and locked the door.  She was PISSED.  She called the news station back and told them what happened.  They wanted to come out anyway because they thought it was funny (kid fools mom cooking egg on driveway) but they ended up not coming out.

So, Jared is right, it is rare to cook eggs on the side walk in Iowa.  Unless you have a propane torch.
Wholly crap! Channel 9!?!?!?!?! You're right up there with Zack Johnson and Ashton Kutcher!

I spent 16 years going to Arizona (Phoenix) while my mother lived out there. The day we arrived there I went to Home Depot to pick up supplies to hang drapes, etc. as I got out of the car and started walking toward the building the combined heated rising from the black top and reflecting from the building made me feel like I was about to vaporize. It was 117 that day, and I later experienced hotter than that!

The point is this: we live in Florida and have not felt the Nutmeg Aqua Teak to be overly hot. I mean, after all, it's vinyl, and anything that sits in direct sunlight will get hot to the touch. Try walking on the sand of the beach, or driveways, etc. We've learned to wear flip flops. Not trying to be a downer here, but for us, the Nutmeg Teak floor looks great, is easy to clean/wash, and is rugged and practical. I'm not sure that ANY flooring that you chose with those qualities will be hot for your feet, unless you get carpet. That brings along it's own challenges.

Sorry, obviously I meant that no other flooring with those qualities will be "less" hot.

I spent 16 years going to Arizona (Phoenix) while my mother lived out there. The day we arrived there I went to Home Depot to pick up supplies to hang drapes, etc. as I got out of the car and started walking toward the building the combined heated rising from the black top and reflecting from the building made me feel like I was about to vaporize. It was 117 that day, and I later experienced hotter than that!

The point is this: we live in Florida and have not felt the Nutmeg Aqua Teak to be overly hot. I mean, after all, it's vinyl, and anything that sits in direct sunlight will get hot to the touch. Try walking on the sand of the beach, or driveways, etc. We've learned to wear flip flops. Not trying to be a downer here, but for us, the Nutmeg Teak floor looks great, is easy to clean/wash, and is rugged and practical. I'm not sure that ANY flooring that you chose with those qualities will be hot for your feet, unless you get carpet. That brings along it's own challenges.
Everything is definitely hot here and you are right I keep a pair of flip flops close by at all times. I just figured since I have the option I would get some opinions. I also heard that the Aqua Teak is very thin product and not as much cushion as some of the others. I definitely love the ease of cleaning.

I have lived in Az most of my life with the exception of 5-10 years in California, Missouri and Minnesota and wouldn't choose anywhere else at this point. The business we are in it just wouldn't make since. Maybe one day when I retire I can have one of those beautiful lake houses with its own dock I see in this group. For now I am okay with the 3 months of H*** for the 9 months of perfect weather.

I remember about 25 years ago it was around 120 degrees. I had went to  work on my motorcycle and parked in the parking lot like any other day. However, when I came out to my bike the heat had softened the asphalt enough to allow my kickstand to sink about 1-2" and then harden again. I had to wait till the next day when the asphalt was soft enough to pry the kickstand out.  

Everything is definitely hot here and you are right I keep a pair of flip flops close by at all times. I just figured since I have the option I would get some opinions. I also heard that the Aqua Teak is very thin product and not as much cushion as some of the others. I definitely love the ease of cleaning.

I have lived in Az most of my life with the exception of 5-10 years in California, Missouri and Minnesota and wouldn't choose anywhere else at this point. The business we are in it just wouldn't make since. Maybe one day when I retire I can have one of those beautiful lake houses with its own dock I see in this group. For now I am okay with the 3 months of H*** for the 9 months of perfect weather.

I remember about 25 years ago it was around 120 degrees. I had went to  work on my motorcycle and parked in the parking lot like any other day. However, when I came out to my bike the heat had softened the asphalt enough to allow my kickstand to sink about 1-2" and then harden again. I had to wait till the next day when the asphalt was soft enough to pry the kickstand out.
I've had that happen on a couple occasions. Except my bike(s) tipped over. Ever since then, I've always carried a plastic disk to put under the side stand.

As for the Nutmeg Aqua Teak being thinner, it would not surprise me. While it is not cheap (what is on a Benni?) it is the least expensive of the full vinyl floors. If memory serves me, wasn't it your boat that developed the wrinkles in the vinyl? If they are giving you a choice, get what you like. I would think the lighter the better. My wife actually chose the Nutmeg for its ability to hide dirt.

Don't acid wash your toons unless you want white toons. 

My son just purchased a 2013 Q25 2575QCW Bennington with the Sport Tower, with a 300 hp Yamaha outboard.  We are anxious for summer to begin here in Michigan so that we can start boating.

Back