Well I am 2 for 2 in 2 years

Wild and Free

Reaction score
Well a week ago we had a hail storm roll through my area and as hail storms goes it was a small rather uneventfull one....................except until I saw the side of my boat in the right light this weekend, found about 20 hail dents along the length of the right side of the boat in both panels below the playpen cover.

This is the second Bennington boat in 2 years to get hail damage from rather small hail. I had my 2007 traded in but retained ownership until my new 2011 boat came in when the 2007 got hailed out a few weeks before the new boat came and now this one met the same fate just not quite as bad.

I really really want to replace the panels with dent resistant panels but for some reason Bennington doesn't seem to like them.

The RV industry has all but abandoned aluminum for fiberglass due to the ease of damage they get. The fiberglass RV's stay nice looking over time so why can't Bennington join the rest of the industry and go back to dent resistant panels? They are offered on several other pontoon brands I see around my area and they look awesome.

I would like to know if Team Benny would be interested in doing some custom work and build some Dent resistant panels for my boat? I live in an area with a high rate of hail and can not keep turning in insurance claims every other year for rather "Mild" hail storms.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, and I'm not trying to be an a** here, but that's like living in a high crime area and asking why my Corvette keeps getting stolen, and blaming Chevy.

I really feel sorry for you, but I can't see Bennington changing their production for the 1 in a 1000 toons that has this kind of issue.

Once it's repaired, could you get an extended mooring cover to cover the panels?

I hate to say it, and I mean no ill will, but maybe an aluminum paneled toon is not practical for you, and you should maybe look at a different brand that does offer fiberglass panels.

With all due respect, and I'm not trying to be an a** here, but that's like living in a high crime area and asking why my Corvette keeps getting stolen, and blaming Chevy.

I really feel sorry for you, but I can't see Bennington changing their production for the 1 in a 1000 toons that has this kind of issue.

Once it's repaired, could you get an extended mooring cover to cover the panels?

I hate to say it, and I mean no ill will, but maybe an aluminum paneled toon is not practical for you, and you should maybe look at a different brand that does offer fiberglass panels.
Not going to take it the wrong way, but from what I see if one looked at 1000 aluminum skinned pontoon boats regaurdless of brand that are a year older or more maybe 10% will be dent free. I am not asking them to change what they do but they used to offer dent resistant panels From what I have read here so why can't they still offer it as an option is my question. Heck I even left a depression while rubbing too hard trying to clean a stuborn spot. :blink:

I was thinking along the lines of a covered storage area. I see you have a trailer listed in your signature, so I'm assuming you don't have a dock/lift where it stays. I can imagine it sucks. Especially since it is "cosmetic" I would hate to have to keep putting in a claim. I was always told to try and find the silver lining in everything, so here goes, at least you can keep the boat looking new and fresh with me panels every year! Maybe get some two tone! :)

As I said I would be pretty mad if it were mine, so this might just be making you more angry, if so I apologize, but I would seriously look at a building or something for storage. Even a good quality "fabric" one would probably do it.

Derrick

A storage area would be fine if we never used it or if it never hailed by the water or if one never gets caught in a bad storm while on the road or water ect ect ect. Can't count how many times we had to make a mad dash for shore when a sudden burst pops up out of nowhere. :p

What about a clear film on the panels like an over skin.

I know it won't be cheap, but neither are new panels every year or so.

I have to admit, on another note, that the 2 sided panel tape they are using is not holding too well. I have seen a couple that never "stuck" on the dealer lot. It's not like you can press it back on as the seats block the back.

The panels may be thinner as you mention, that's probably why they are ribbed, to add some strength.

I think it gives them a sleek look though, much nicer than flat skin.

A storage area would be fine if we never used it or if it never hailed by the water or if one never gets caught in a bad storm while on the road or water ect ect ect. Can't count how many times we had to make a mad dash for shore when a sudden burst pops up out of nowhere. :p
Well it's settled then, screw sheets of plexiglass to the outside of rails, maybe you can get a custom "bubble" mounted over it, then you don't have to worry about a 'sudden burst' of seagulls popping up and crapping on the carpet either. :D My boat sits in my driveway about 95% of its life, so a storage area would work for me.

Derrick

Back