Wet floor

wchasioux

Reaction score
The floor of our new 2550 RBR ESP has been getting wet from below. If I drive at any speed other than idle we get 3 wet spots on our carpet. One is back under the lounge chair across from the helm and the other two are just in front and to the sides of the under floor storage locker. We had sea legs installed on our Benny so they took off the wave shield. I still have the wave shield. They were gonna keep it but I made them give it to me. Does this sound like something the dealer can fix? If it came down to it, I would rather have a dry floor than sea legs, but would prefer both if possible. I am worried that I will have mold soon if the problem isn't resolved. Does anyone have any similar experience? The last thing I want to do is have my boat at the dealer and not in my dock. Thanks.

Sounds like the water is splashing up at those spots that have through deck holes. You need the wave shield to protect these areas or possibly cut sections out of the old pieces to fit just these areas. Being you had sea legs added, and removed factory installed items, this may not be a case of "warranty" issue.

Ps: I don't think this is a hard fix, just need to close up these areas as best as possible.

You might try to cut a piece of thick rubber and staple over the opening underneath at the seat mount if there is a hole under it, which I think there is. The wave shield also helps from "surging" so I would replace as much as possible anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first boat had this problem but it never had a wave shield on it. It leaked around the table and seat pedestals. The dealer simply applied a good silicone sealant to this areas and we never had another problem. I think Semperfi may be right about the warranty, but doesn't hurt to check.

Best of luck

I'm thinking this problem is directly related to the sea legs, it could be just that it is diverting water in a different way and that's enough. Hmmm I wonder if there is a way to design a bracket or attach a wave shield directly to the sea leg itself so when it is in the closed position it basically completes the area that was cut out for installation. Think of like an aircrafts landing gear type of thing, or like in the James Bond movies where a machine gun lifts out of the fender and the body of the vehicle is still attached to the top of it and when they lower it back in it completes the vehicle again. Not being a wild dreamer, I'm not 100% sure how the sea legs deploy and the references were merely to help you get into my train of thought.

I like your thinking Derrick!!!!! Wchasioux I sent you a PM on this as I had a similar issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same boat, its coming from where your wires come through. There is a rubber boot with a zip tie that you need to pull tight. This will fix your problem

Our 2275 rcw had a wet spot in the floor near the rear playpen gate. Found it was due to the waveshield rivets popping up and the waveshield was bent up and exposing the deck to splash while underway. My question would be, for those that don't have a waveshield, does the flooring and carpet always get wet?

It's not supposed to get wet, at least not from underneath!

The common problems are wiring boots, as mentioned already, next is where the plywood flooring has seams where the sheets are butted together, they should be caulked and have a plastic splash deflector covering them, then seat and table mounts should be caulked as well.

Find the spot(s) where water is coming up, then have a look under the boat to locate the problem.

And by all means if it is under warranty, have your dealer fix it!

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Glad to hear it sounds like this can be resolved. Other than mold is there any problem waiting a few weeks and just putting up with wet floors? Middle of June would be much more convenient in our schedule to be without the Benny.

Shouldn't be a problem to wait as long as its in someplace where it can air dry. Remember, the plywood is marine grade and the carpet is also suitable to wet applications. Also, a boat is designed to get wet:)

I have the same boat, its coming from where your wires come through. There is a rubber boot with a zip tie that you need to pull tight. This will fix your problem
Copperline,

That was exactly what I thought too. I closed off the area under the sink that water was coming in but it only stopped that one area. We still have a large amount on water coming from under the lounger across from the helm and smaller wet areas in front of the under floor storage locker. I can't see anyway to look at those areas with the boat in the water. They aren't accessible from above.

Copperline,

That was exactly what I thought too. I closed off the area under the sink that water was coming in but it only stopped that one area. We still have a large amount on water coming from under the lounger across from the helm and smaller wet areas in front of the under floor storage locker. I can't see anyway to look at those areas with the boat in the water. They aren't accessible from above.
Wait till water gets a little warmer, then just go under it in shallow water. I do it to clean toons, and will be repairing horn as soon as waters warm enough. 65 degrees is still too cold for me !!! :wacko:

Back