What a day,what a day

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Wow, well my boating season got started off REAL swell! Went and picked up my boat from storage, (about an hour and a half away) to take it to meet my dealer since I'm trading it in on my new boat (about 2 1/2 hours from storage point). So after a half hour of towing the boat, I figure I might as well get fuel and then I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip. Bad choice. I pull into the parking lot to go to the pumps and all of a sudden I feel the trailer pull. Not sure what it was, I pull up to the pump about 20 yards ahead, and I get out to take a look. As I do, a fella pulls up and says, "I saw the guy back into you!" and my heart sinks. Not what one wants at anytime, but definitely not 2 hours before your trading it in! So I see this quite elderly fella the wandering over to me, and he starts talking to me about wanting my plate number. At this point I have seen the damage that his Equinox has done to my trailer (hit the fender in front of tires) and the pontoon ( scratched to CRAP and slightly dented). So I tell him I need his drivers license and registration, and he won't give it to me! He starts saying that it is MY fault because I should have SEEN him backing up! I said man, I was 20 feet past you when you STARTED backing up!! All of this is hindered by the fact he is of foreign decent and I can not really understand his English that well. So I keep saying I need his info and he says that he wants mine, meanwhile I am holding both in my hand. So I tell him to get his, mine is right here and so far I've given my name and license number and I don't have a thing from him! So he keeps refusing to give me the info. So I tell him to either give me the info or I will call the cops, he doesn't so I call them, and they come and finally get the info. The copy said that he didn't want to give it to me because I was 'intimidating' to him! My wife was surprised that I wasn't flipping out on the guy! I was being quite courteous under the circumstances! But how the heck he figured it was my fault is beyond me. So I still had to take it to meet my dealer so he can fix it, but needless to say everything just got a lot more complicated in my boat trade in! And 11 hours later I am home. What a friggin day.

Derrick

Sorry for the rant, just fuming right now!

Bulldogs, that just outright sucks! At least he will be paying for your repairs. We're you able to trade your boat in or do you need to wait for everything to be fixed?

Man, very sorry to hear that. I always thought that $h!t like that only happened to me...

Wow. Sorry to hear that news. That REALLY sucks.

But, better it was the old boat and not your new one.

So... How's that new boat looking?

At least he had insurance. In our state, 25% of all cars on the road don't have insurance of any kind.

It shows the importance of having your boat insured, too. Accidents can happen anywhere.

Wow. Sorry to hear that news. That REALLY sucks.

But, better it was the old boat and not your new one.

So... How's that new boat looking?
It's not even built yet, just thought I'd give the boat to the dealer so he has a chance to sell it early, well I guess that plan went to Crap! Now he has to fix it first! So TB if your reading this, you might want to have an extra 25" toon for the starboard side for an 09 2075GLi ready! Haha I'm assuming they will have to replace the toon. He says he's seen toons with worse dock rash than that, but who knows if there are any pin size holes in it. Dealer was really good about it all actually, but I'm going to argue with insurance that I want a new toon on it, I mean the boat only has 33.7 hours on it! Just sucks that now I have to get MY insurance company to go after HIS insurance company. Although, it would be kind of funny if Bennington sent a new toon to replace the old toon on my new boat for my old boat. We'll see how it all plays out.

Oh and tcpip95, I would be more than happy to let this $hit happen to anyone but me! Haha, but as my wife keeps reminding me, it's only a boat, it will get fixed, not that big of a deal, thankfully it wasn't our new boat, and ALL those other GREAT lines of reassurance! Which when it first happens are the last things going through your head!

Derrick

Sorry to hear that Bulldog. Your wife and Kaydano are both correct

It is better for the dealer because it just generated more business for their service and parts department. A similar thing happened to me 2 years ago when I traded in my 07 for my 2011 I ordered the 11 and put a down payment and reserved the right to try and sell my 07 outright if I could before the 2011 came in. Well it didn't sell and to top it off It was hailed out a week before the new boat came in. One whole side was damaged quite severe from the hail which is why I wish they still made the dent resistant panels because it was not even a bad hail storm by our standards had it had the DRP on it there would have been no damage. But the dealer didn't mind as the insurance paid the bill and they made even more money off my trade through parts and service.

What a PIA. Hope things go progressively better.

We had some trials and tribulations at our onset, but so far 11 hours of trouble free tooning with the new 2274.

Real bummer, just think about the new ride you have coming, everything else will take care of it self. Not the best way to start but it could be much worse.... like something that was your fault.

Many insurance companies will pay an additional 10% of the repair price for depreciation, something to ask about.

Best of luck,

Steve

Hey Derrick - Any updates to your story? Not prying. Just curious. What a story. Could have happened to any of us. Just curious how you're making out with it.

Dano

Hey Derrick - Any updates to your story? Not prying. Just curious. What a story. Could have happened to any of us. Just curious how you're making out with it.

Dano
Not a whole lot, went to MPI, which is our mandatory insurance (Manitoba Public Insurance) company to report the claim, he had already reported it, but from what my adjuster could see, he hasn't yet taken acceptance of fault on the accident. Small world though, he is an elderly man, that used to live here, I know his son which is my father's age, and TWO of his grandson's used to work for me when we had the gas station! Anyway, hebis a doctor which is why I'm guessing he is fighting taking fault because he could very well lose his license to drive. My dealer has been good about it, according to him, he has seen worse dock rash! Haha but since it should be 100% his fault, I may not actually have to go through my boat insurance at all. MPI would cover the pontoon as 'property damage', it saves them from having my boat insurance company go after them for the costs of repair. I think my dealer wants me to go through them since it would probably be quicker to get paid out, and since the dealer had someone come take a look at it and they are interested, speed is important. Will keep you all updated! :)

Derrick

Dano
Well looks like MPI is going to foot the bill, it's going to be $1100+ to fix trailer, and around $3900 for changing the pontoon, big part of that is the shipping and some duty to get the pontoon way up here to Canada! Thankfully nothing out of my pocket, but do feel for my dealer since it will probably take 4-5 weeks to get a toon here. Hey, Team Bennington, you have an extra one laying around? Haha since hopefully my boat should be leaving if not left Bennington already on way to dealer. Kinda wishing I had upped it to the 250hp SHO, but the 200hp should get the job done! Wonder how long it takes to get shipped here??

Derrick

Back