What is the Difference Between an SL 21 and an SX 21?

jman

Reaction score
Besides the $7,000 starting price. All options moving downstream are priced the same.

From what I can tell:

The SX has the wrap around bow loungers and the S does not.

The SX has the extended front deck which the S does not.

The SX had nicer side skirting although for  less than $150 it can be added to the SL.

Other than these two items what justifies the huge difference in starting price? Is there any difference in a 2014 SLX 21 and a 2015 SL?

I am getting a sinking feeling that I could have built a 2015 SL21 for far less than I paid for my 2015 (non 2015 featured) SLX21. That is to say that I am not sure there is a difference between my boat and a 2015 SL21 with the exception of price. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The first is the rail system .

Look at the standard features there is more .

21 SL

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat.php?id=907

21SLX

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat.php?id=871
I guess I should have asked what is the difference between my 2015 SLX21 and a 2015 SL21. The rails, maybe, although the standard features for the 2015 SL21 note a "NEW" S series streamline rail system, so I can't even be sure about that.

Other than the bow loungers and extended deck the boats are the same and since I have neither I can't help but think that I'm $5000 lighter for a rail system that, at this point, may not even be different. The 2015 SL21 build site shows the boat profile the same as the SLX although there is a picture of a less fancy rail system in the picture system. Which is the real system I don't know.

Keep in mind that like every year when they do the site changeover, there are always things not right. For instance the 1.4 million for the new R series. So don't get too worried about it all yet. Also just as a question,  is your $7g the price the dealer gave you, or was that a previous build cost? If it's the price you paid, then keep in mind your dealer prep, shipping, trailer. If you aren't talking about all that stuff, then I have no idea.

Keep in mind that like every year when they do the site changeover, there are always things not right. For instance the 1.4 million for the new R series. So don't get too worried about it all yet. Also just as a question,  is your $7g the price the dealer gave you, or was that a previous build cost? If it's the price you paid, then keep in mind your dealer prep, shipping, trailer. If you aren't talking about all that stuff, then I have no idea.
Lol..I am muddying the issue probably.

My boat build msrp, ( that dealer ordered under and where we negotiated from) was $41,575

My boat now with same build /using new pricing is $43,000. This is $1,400 more but the upgrades (extended deck, blue tooth and curved bow lounger and fencing) are certainly worth it.

The 2015 21SL with same build as my boat is msrp $35,598 with only difference from my boat,as far as I can tell, being the rails although this remains to be seen as the SL touts "new S rails" on the site.

So, to me it looks as though my SX boat is not much different from the SL boat. Railing?

When I started looking at the boat it was listed as a 2015 so there was value there for me obviously. I then found out via this forum and confirmed with another dealer that a 2015 SLX would have curved bow loungers. I told my dealer of course and asked about ordering a boat as opposed to going with the in stock unit. I was told that they were not ordering again this year and that freight would be cost prohibitive for me ( they pay same shipping for 4 or 1 boat which I understood and accepted). We decided to go with the stock unit thinking that it was just the loungers and not that big a deal, plus we wanted to boat this summer as we had an empty slip that we had paid for in full.

Now we see that the 2015 boat is fundamentally different as the bow fencing is curved, changing the shape of the boat and dating my "new" boat. In addition the front deck is extended.

In the meantime the dealer did decided to place another order, so that was an option after all. They have ordered another 21SLX, although it will have the upgrades that my boat does not despite it being the same year.

I would pursue a trade but have already had GPS mounted (drilling into helm) and invested $2200 into bottom paint for salt water use.

It's been a harrowing 3 weeks to say the least. Quite frankly I'm over it at this point and don't even have the boat yet. Anticlimactic to say the least.

For comparison purposes all figures are just web msrp with no prep and freight although that would be the same across the 3 examples.

Don't feel bad. Every time you (we) buy something, especially this time of the year, whether it be a car, boat, motorcycle.... It seems like if "we just would have waited" a little longer ..... Hindsights always 20/20. You were happy with yours when you bought it, best thing is STAY OFF BOAT BUILDER!! Trust me!!! Lol !!!!

Reactions: ssc
Experience has taught me that once I buy something.... quit looking.... Seems I would always find a better deal and then kick myself for not waiting. I think it's a "Grass is always greener on the other side" kind of a thing.  

Need to be careful because "PADS" might just turn into  "Possibly Another Divorce Settlement"  :huh:

Need to be careful because "PADS" might just turn into "Possibly Another Divorce Settlement" :huh:
Now that's funny !!!!!!!

Experience has taught me that once I buy something.... quit looking.... Seems I would always find a better deal and then kick myself for not waiting. I think it's a "Grass is always greener on the other side" kind of a thing.  

Need to be careful because "PADS" might just turn into  "Possibly Another Divorce Settlement"  :huh:

Now that's funny !!!!!!!
True, I need to back off a bit, I don't even have the boat and am starting to take the fun out of it. Just a little steamed as I was pretty meticulous during the process and think the differences in the 2015 I bought vs. the "real" 2015 should have been made known to me. We're not talking something minor like a change from standard tai lights to LED here but rather 2 boats that if put side by side will not look the same.

Ok, boat comes Wednesday so plenty of time to shake it off.

If your dealer hasn't done the title work yet ,tell him to keep it ( based on your above statement ) and re-order

If your dealer hasn't done the title work yet ,tell him to keep it ( based on your above statement ) and re-order
That ship has sailed pardon the pun. Besides boat is bottom painter which is a rather involved process for salt water use and our GPS unit has been installed which meant altering console,etc.

I think Bennington should not tag a boat for a year when it doesn't contain that year's design changes when this substantial. Customer thinks they are getting the latest boat and negotiates based on the false assumption.

Clearly a lesson learned and I will ask far more questions when buying my next vehicle when that day comes.

Still looking for difference between S and SX boats.

Remember, the DEALER made the deal and sold you on what THEY thought.The different boats are not BENNINGTONS fault. If your dealer failed to clarify the differences, again, that's not Benningtons fault. 

Note: I'm not trying to be an a**, it's just we've seen this before where a dealers lack of knowledge, follow through, etc ... becomes Benningtons blame. 

Not to mention, when you checked/bought your boat, Bennington hadn't released info on changes, so you can't assume that your dealer had any idea of changes. I know first hand. I ordered my "last boat ill ever need with everything I wanted" 2 months later Bennington released the tower option on an RCW. I was ticked!! But not at anyone. You bought the boat they had because they had it and you didn't want to wait. Yes it is too bad that the dealer didn't know what Bennington was going to do for 2015, but neither did we. Since for the most part, the folks on the board here a lot of the time know more than a LOT of dealers do about what Bennington has available, and we all just saw the new tower a couple days ago!  It's just one of those unfortunately timed things. My dilemma was solved by ordering another. It wasn't the smartest way to spend money as obviously I lost money, but it then made me happy, so it was worth it. Now they have red diamond stitching and I'm thinking I should send my upholstery to them to add over the winter!!! Haha

Hopefully you can either accept your new boat, which is still going to be a great boat, or figure out a way to get the other one

I called and spoke to someone at the factory today. I am trying to order a slx and I wanted to know the same thing. I was told no two tone and the panels are different. Also the seats and a few other items. If you google a 2015 SL it will have the old style fence. The factory rep said the web site is wrong.

Remember, the DEALER made the deal and sold you on what THEY thought.The different boats are not BENNINGTONS fault. If your dealer failed to clarify the differences, again, that's not Benningtons fault. 

Note: I'm not trying to be an a**, it's just we've seen this before where a dealers lack of knowledge, follow through, etc ... becomes Benningtons blame. 
Sorry for the lag time here was on the road for the past day. I understand the point regarding the dealer. Bennington, on the other hand, was very aware of what the changes were ahead of time but went ahead and titled the boat as a 2015 SLX21 anyway. There is only one reason to do this and that is to make the boat appear more valuable to the buyer. As I was comparing various boats and deals the fact that mine was the "newer, more up to date boat" was one of the determining factors. 

When Ford redesigns the STANDARD design features of the F150 you can believe that all 2015's look alike within trim levels. Ford would not title a 2014 truck a 2015 if they knew they were changing the look of the vehicle from 2014 to 15.

We are not speaking about and option that was or was not available to me and now is, such as an arch or a stereo. When put side by side my 2015 SLX 21 will look much different from a "real" 2015 SLX21. My boat is a 2014 design labeled a 2015. I am talking strictly design and standard features here, no options.

I spoke with Bennington customer service yesterday and was told that the new SL21 does have updated fencing with the panels now behind the rails. In effect my boat should have been labeled a 2015 SL21 if anything. The rep confirmed that my boat was far more akin with this model, which has an MSRP of about $6,000 less. So you can build my boat right now for $6,000 less, you need only upgrade the skirting for $150 to make them almost identical.

We bought our Ford Flex in August of 2009, it was a 2010 model, It had all standard features and design cues of the 2010 model year not 2009. 

I have a 2014 2275 RCW Sport Tower. Probably the only one in the world since in 2014 they removed the option of having a tower on the 2275 and now the smallest is a 2375. I do understand what you are saying, and I can understand your frustration. Keep in mind, Bennington probably knows of what they are changing and how 9 months in advance, but they still have to keep selling the current boats. Now I know you are thinking, well then just call it a 2014, not a 2015. I honestly have no idea why they change the model year before they change the layout/design. That I believe is what the big question is, but would you have waited if they had told you? I don't know what can be done to make the situation a happy one. I guess you can trade in your boat for the new one. Yes you have the paint and the GPS done, but even if you completely lost out on that, that is only $3000 and you are saying it is $6-$7000 cheaper, so you will come out ahead. 

What tube setup is on it? Maybe your dealer could just switch the toons from your old onto the new one?

Not that i don't appriciate your sentiments on this, but comparing a boat builder to an automotive builder is not apples to apples.

Ford produces many many thousands of cars every year, and has some flexibility in their supply chain. When a model is upgraded, they continue to build the old model until the parts inventory for that model is depleted. At that point the assembly line is retooled for the upcoming changes, and the new supplies start to come in.

It's not the same for a (any) boat manufacturer, their sales numbers are much lower, they have a projected number of each model to be produced and run that production regardless of what time of year it is. A boat built after a set date carries the next years number. They have 'x' number of seats, helms, fencing, etc. to be used and can't just stop until they use them up.

It's just bad timing, if you had ordered your boat 2 months prior, would this be an issue right now? No, but you would probably have a serious case of PADS by now.  :)

Not that i don't appriciate your sentiments on this, but comparing a boat builder to an automotive builder is not apples to apples.

Ford produces many many thousands of cars every year, and has some flexibility in their supply chain. When a model is upgraded, they continue to build the old model until the parts inventory for that model is depleted. At that point the assembly line is retooled for the upcoming changes, and the new supplies start to come in.

It's not the same for a (any) boat manufacturer, their sales numbers are much lower, they have a projected number of each model to be produced and run that production regardless of what time of year it is. A boat built after a set date carries the next years number. They have 'x' number of seats, helms, fencing, etc. to be used and can't just stop until they use them up.

It's just bad timing, if you had ordered your boat 2 months prior, would this be an issue right now? No, but you would probably have a serious case of PADS by now.  :)
This runs contrary to what I was told. Bennington had a choice as to what year to tag the boat. There is only one reason, from where I sit, to tag it with the later year when it does not resemble that year's model.  

I will say no more until there is resolution one way or another. In fairness I have a call in to Bennington CS and am awaiting a return call from the regional. He is tied up, understandably, with the new model launch in Indiana. My dealer and I have not had the discussion as I have been unable to make it up to the dealership (boat ready for test drive today but put off) as my daughter broke her leg/foot in 3 places on Monday (about 6 hours from home) and we have been up to get her and back and then to local Dr.s, etc., with surgery tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all of the input.   :)

jman, consider that by being tagged with the 2015 year should you ever resell you will be glad that it was tagged 2015 rather than 2014

Back